Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke heat detector regulations

Options
  • 11-02-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me the current building regulations on smoke and heat detectors wired in a new dwelling house. We usually wire smoke detectors in the hall and landing and heat detectors in kitchen and any living areas.
    We recently wired a house where the engineer over the job is insisting its regulation to also cover bedrooms with smokes quoting IS3218,can someone please clarify if this is regulation or recommendation . Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Can someone please tell me the current building regulations on smoke and heat detectors wired in a new dwelling house. We usually wire smoke detectors in the hall and landing and heat detectors in kitchen and any living areas.
    We recently wired a house where the engineer over the job is insisting its regulation to also cover bedrooms with smokes quoting IS3218,can someone please clarify if this is regulation or recommendation . Thanks in advance.

I think he is right. The thinking seems to be that anywhere a person can fall asleep, requires them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

IS3218 is not mandatory it seems.

See here.

The engineer can insist on it - but only if he pays for it unless it was mentioned in the original contract / tender document.

Edit, I could be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

My RECI Inspector told me that RECI had sought clarification due to the conflict between IS 3218 and the Building Regulations, and were advised that compliance with the Building Regulations was appropriate which essentially means a Grade D, Category LD2 system.

Of course in time this may change and the Building Regulations may reflect the advice in IS 3218.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Ok, thanks for the response, very helpful, I've done some research and from what I can gather the building regulations are called technical guidance document B and Is3218 is a guide for fire detection and fire alarms for buildings, to date the building regs have NOT been amended to cover requirements in IS3218.
    So if we are working to building regulations while wiring smoke and heat detectors in a domestic dwelling, at the moment doesn't insist on covering bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

That is correct, TGD B Fire dates from 2006, when the only relevant standard was BS 5839 -6

However the position now is different, in that there is an Irish Standard which covers domestic fire alarms, so there is a responsibility on anyone installing smoke and heat alarms in a building to comply with the Standard.

Similarly there is no mention of the ETCI Wiring rules in the building regulations but they must still be complied with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement