Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ONE on SKY HD Box

Options
  • 11-02-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello - I just noticed something funny tonight. I have fair City on series link record through the Sky Digibox. Now I thought I series linked it on Sky 101 ... but tonight I just pressed select and it said 277 RTE One - wonder what that is about? - I didnt even know RTE One existed on number 277 in the Guide, I thought RTE One was just on 101. anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most likely RTÉ 1 HD is now 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah strange - i have series linked operation transformation and its done that on 101 - why is there 2 RTE One's then? one in HD on 101 and a standard one on 277?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

yeah strange - i have series linked operation transformation and its done that on 101 - why is there 2 RTE One's then? one in HD on 101 and a standard one on 277?

The standard one would have to remain for those people without a HD box or subscription. I suppose they also want the SD option there if someone doesn't want to take up much hard drive space and record on SD instead of HD.

The standard one would have to remain for those people without a HD box or subscription. I suppose they also want the SD option there if someone doesn't want to take up much hard drive space and record on SD instead of HD.

Ah very well explained thanks - I still must change the series link for fair city back to 101 then ... although i doubt if some of the acting will be any better in HD lol :D - no, im too harsh FC has been very good lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I have noticed in the last couple of days that more programmes for RTE One and 2 are getting marked HD. That includes news bulletins, Nationwide and the Late Late Show.

• Advertisement

Ah very well explained thanks - I still must change the series link for fair city back to 101 then ... although i doubt if some of the acting will be any better in HD lol :D - no, im too harsh FC has been very good lately.

Prefer Red Rock here even though the acting isn't too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There's a Rte 1 +1
    Why isn't there a Rte 2 +1??

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Dtp1979 wrote:
    There's a Rte 1 +1 Why isn't there a Rte 2 +1??

It was reported that RTE were looking at having RTE2+1 but it needs government approval etc might happen

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There's a Rte 1 +1
    Why isn't there a Rte 2 +1??

Any RTE1+1 on Sky? - I dont think there is, must check. I know its available on Saorview tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any RTE1+1 on Sky? - I dont think there is, must check. I know its available on Saorview tho

It is on Sky.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote:
    It is on Sky.

Ah right thanks it never used to be at the beginning in pretty sure, think it was just on saorview originally. I must have a look at sky guide and see what number its at

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah right thanks it never used to be at the beginning in pretty sure, think it was just on saorview originally. I must have a look at sky guide and see what number its at

It only appeared on satellite in the last few weeks is all, as did rte news now.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It only appeared on satellite in the last few weeks is all, as did rte news now.

Ah right - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Aquos76 wrote: »

Interesting that here in NI if you have Sky you can add RTE1 HD/RTE News Now/Oireachtas channel/RTE1+1 under 'other channels' and all bar RTE1+1 are geo-blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭donjuandejohn

I just noticed the latest episode of The X Files is now showing as yellow in the planner, and listed as HD, with the previous episodes all white with no mention of HD.
    Another thing is the amount of the HDD being used for the latest episode (59 mins) is 1.1% and previous episode (54 mins) is 2.1%. Any chance RTE2 is now transmitted as DVB-T S2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ Two HD moved to a new transponder last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

anyone else notice weird stripes on the top of RTE1's picture? all the way across the top part of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

Yes that's been there since moving transponder on the SD version. Also on TG4 for ages. Seems to appear on some TVs and not others. May be some TVs are set to a fine tuned picture that just displays the dots. With our Panasonic it travels from left to right across about half way. There is no similar issue with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Geedoh wrote: »
    Yes that's been there since moving transponder on the SD version. Also on TG4 for ages. Seems to appear on some TVs and not others. May be some TVs are set to a fine tuned picture that just displays the dots. With our Panasonic it travels from left to right across about half way. There is no similar issue with Saorview.

Very weird. Has it been reported to Sky?

Would Rte/TG4 not be aware just looking at it themselves? Surely they monitor their output. I think they couldn't be bothered. The issue has been on TG4 for years (Sky & Saorview ) and nothing has been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Techmaster wrote: »
    Very weird. Has it been reported to Sky?

I changed my TV screen setting from Screen-Fit to 16:9 and the lines are now gone.

Yes, but this zooms into the picture slightly and if it was ok before it shouldn't need resetting because a channel hasn't bothered to set its display parameters correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Geedoh wrote: »
    Yes, but this zooms into the picture slightly and if it was ok before it shouldn't need resetting because a channel hasn't bothered to set its display parameters correctly.

I've checked it again and you're right, screen fit is the correct setting and looks much better and more natural. I have a 'position' setting under screen fit which had corrected the lines for now anyway.

It's odd that only RTE1 SD on Sat & TG4 on Sat & Saorview is affected. The rte1 issue doesn't seem to occur on Saorview, but that is the HD version. There are as discussed ways to tweek the picture, but that zooms slightly and shouldn't just apply to a couple of channels. It may well be that some TV sets are tuned to a fully edged picture and some of the digital settings imposed by the broadcaster affects how it is displayed on different TV sets. Maybe the broadcaster could explain, but I think they would just advise tweeting at the viewer end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The majority of programmes on both RTE 1&2 are now highlighted in yellow for HD on the Sky guide, only just noticed it now. Yet the Champions League on TV3 tonight isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

galtee boy wrote: »
    The majority of programmes on both RTE 1&2 are now highlighted in yellow for HD on the Sky guide, only just noticed it now. Yet the Champions League on TV3 tonight isn't.

Except if you have sky tv's hd bundle for tv3hd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

ftakeith wrote: »
    Except if you have sky tv's hd bundle for tv3hd

You've lost me, I have the Sky HD package for TV3 HD and the champions league isn't highlighted for HD, but the Seven O Clock show is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

galtee boy wrote: »
    You've lost me, I have the Sky HD package for TV3 HD and the champions league isn't highlighted for HD, but the Seven O Clock show is.

I noticed on TV3, December 2015's live games were in HD as I think its a requirement by UEFA

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

RTE 1 HD is now available on Sky northern Ireland, it took a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement