Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas on where I could find a micro terminal block for this?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

IMAG0266.jpg
    image search

I need to extend above cable and I hope there might be something around the house that would suit - the above connector is for the inside of a computer and the cable is about 5 or 6cm too short.....I've plenty of stuff around the house I can start looking in if somebody could give me a pointer.....it's fairly urgent too.....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need to measure the pitch of the connector.

If it's urgent and needs go be extended a few cm's I would cut it off and solder in a few cm's of wire. Shrink wrap each wire.

Solder + heat shrink.

You could use something like this

6-way-8a-pcb-mounting-horizontal-terminal-block-rising-clamp-381mm.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=La6PMvnVeq4LFVJRSMH3xKphQb8j&V=xZYU

or new just extend it using a molex kk lead. Also known as a pin header connector although male to female is kinda rare.

It might not like being extended, possible voltage drop on the power pins.

If you use a terminal block with wires that small you need this style with the plate under the screw or a clamp, a regular screw will either miss the wires or cut through them.

2-POSITION%20PCB%20TERMINAL%20BLOCK.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just cut off the plug with enough length on wires to solder in extension wires. Get heat shrink in mapin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

If you use a terminal block with wires that small you need this style with the plate under the screw or a clamp, a regular screw will either miss the wires or cut through them.

2-POSITION%20PCB%20TERMINAL%20BLOCK.JPG

What are those terminal blocks called? Would there be anything around a techies house that I could salvage something like this from?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

euser1984 wrote: »
    What are those terminal blocks called? Would there be anything around a techies house that I could salvage something like this from?

Thanks.

PCB (printed circuit board) terminal blocks. I had a few here but only 2 left now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are a million different types of these and they are not interchangeable - not meant to be to stop you plugging the wrong plug to the wrong socket.

The black one in the OP is probably Molex (cant really identify it from the pic), the green ones posted subsequently are Phoenix.

Best bet to get one in a hurry is Radionics.

Advertisement