Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent (UK) Likely to Close

• 11-02-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Big news today that the UK Indo is likely to stop publication. 'i' sold to Johnson Press. Evening Standard staying part owned by Alexander Lebedev.

The internet killed the Indo. More here and here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wasn't it Private Eye who always described it as The Indescribably Boring?

No place in the UK for sitting on the fence.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Shame, it was further left than the Guardian editorially in recent times, not much choice in mainstream press now for those who don't want hard right rabid gutter journalism or one of a myriad of Murdoch papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well Lebedev is spinning it as a positive move, going online only. I fairness print circulation had fallen so low it's hard to see how they could be losing any more money this way. Still with even the biggest beasts of online (Mail and Guardian) still miles away from making a buck on it, you'd have to see this as further evidence that if serious journalism is to have a future online, it will only be through heavy subsidisation, by a Lebedev-type oligarch or some other source...

Johnston buying the i is an odd one too, you'd wonder if the students and assorted lefties will keep buying it without the Indie content...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I never read it though I may have early edition up in the attic - must check.

It never struck me as worth a buy - a sort of not quite Guardian, and not quite Times. Acolytes of Cockburn and Fisk will be distraught while the rest of us will be fearing where they end up! :p Had they ditched the full fat version and concentrated in the "i" maybe they'd have managed to keep going and if they think the future is digital then they have to spend on their simply rubbish website (which often froze my browser for no obvious reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Website was probably the worst of the major media outlets.

editorially, it wasn't on planet earth anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Date announced - March 26th

Advertisement