Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting: Deposit & First Month Query

Options
  • 12-02-2016 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are due to move into an apartment and the landlord wants a months rent as a deposit which is fine but all of a sudden he's saying he's after the deposit and the first month up front is this right? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm quite new to this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

That's normal, you usually pay a month in advance, as well as the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭HoopsLad1888

0lordy wrote: »
    That's normal, you usually pay a month in advance, as well as the deposit.

Ok thanks so does that mean if let's say for arguments sake I moved in tomorrow 12th Feb and payed the deposit and the months rent that I wouldn't have to pay rent again until the 12 th April?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You pay the rent up front. So this months rent will last 12 February until 11 March, and so on. The deposit is just that. A deposit to cover damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You also don't get to say at the end of the tenancy 'you have my last month's rent' as some people seem to think they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

You also don't get to say at the end of the tenancy 'you have my last month's rent' as some people seem to think they can do.

Well you can't just do it but you can agree with the LL (if he agrees to it) to do it as I've done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Well you can't just do it but you can agree with the LL (if he agrees to it) to do it as I've done in the past.

You can do a lot of things if the LL agrees to it. My point is many people take it as a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

I wouldn't recommend this course of action. There is a legitimate reason that this system is in operation and it's a form of insurance.

I wouldn't recommend this course of action. There is a legitimate reason that this system is in operation and it's a form of insurance.

I was just pointing out that there is no law against doing it if you LL is in agreement. I gave my months notice to my last LL asked would he keep the deposit as my last months rent and he just said fine that he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Shouldn't that wonderful organization,the prtb,now hold the deposit under the new rules?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Myself and my girlfriend are due to move into an apartment and the landlord wants a months rent as a deposit which is fine but all of a sudden he's saying he's after the deposit and the first month up front is this right? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm quite new to this.
    Thanks

Very normal.
    My tenant moved in on the 1st May. During April, I got one months deposit and Mays rent up front. All rent due on the first of every month for that month going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

I was just pointing out that there is no law against doing it if you LL is in agreement. I gave my months notice to my last LL asked would he keep the deposit as my last months rent and he just said fine that he would.

I refer the honourable gentleman to a post I made earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

housetypeb wrote: »
    Shouldn't that wonderful organization,the prtb,now hold the deposit under the new rules?

No. It is talked about them having a deposit protection scheme. IMO it is just another excuse to justify their slow timing for dealing with anything and to reduce them being abolished when some Government finally realises they arent fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Ok thanks so does that mean if let's say for arguments sake I moved in tomorrow 12th Feb and payed the deposit and the months rent that I wouldn't have to pay rent again until the 12 th April?

Rent will be due 12th March, you are only paying the first month in advance. Landlord keeps the other month as security until you move out.

Advertisement