Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should stock CPU fan run all the time

Options
  • 12-02-2016 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Just built my first pc this evening - its got an i5 4590 CPU - I installed the stock fan - the fans in the case run all the time but the CPU fan doesn't seem to run all the time - is this normal? Sorry if its a ridiculous question - I'm just not sure

I'm using an Asrock H97M Pro 4 motherboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It should be running constantly yeah, is the fan clipping anything? It will stop if impeded to stop damage to the fins or whatever is hitting it

What kinds of temps are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

yes it's normal, the thermostat will regulate the fan speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

old_aussie wrote: »
    yes it's normal, the thermostat will regulate the fan speed.

It's not normal for the fan to not be rotating. As said above if it encounters resistance it will stop for a very short period before starting again.

But it should be physically moving at all times, obviously the speed and volume will vary depending on load.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd check the bios as some motherboards will try and control fan speed based on temps

Also, make sure you have the CPU fan connected to the CPU Fan pins on the motherboard and not any of the sys-fan connections

Advertisement