Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record collectors.

Options
  • 12-02-2016 4:27am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread can be a general vinyl heads thread.

I'll start with a question:

If a sleeve comes apart at the seams (not torn) would you re-glue it? Just happened to me. Not sure if I will.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd leave it be. unless you are sure that the repair would be long lasting and look mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

What's the best way to clean a second hand purchase? The vinyl is old but unscratched but the surface dirt is affecting the playback quality.

I've been told soapy water (and also definitely not soapy water)

I've been told baby wipes (and also that the chemicals will destroy the vinyl)

I have a carbon fibre brush to remove dust but I need to remove residue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would say if you ask 100 different people you will get 100 different replies.

I watched a youtube video recently (can't seem to find it now) where the guy used warm soapy water and his fingers.
    I've tried it a few times and have had pretty good results.

Have warm water running in your sink. Wet the record (try and avoid the paper label, but it will get a little wet), squirt on a bit of washing up liquid, rub it in with your fingers (non-abrasive, you see) and rinse. Flip over and repeat.
    You can stand it up in your plate-drying-rack thing on your draining board to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Choochtown wrote: »
    What's the best way to clean a second hand purchase? The vinyl is old but unscratched but the surface dirt is affecting the playback quality.

I've been told soapy water (and also definitely not soapy water)

I've been told baby wipes (and also that the chemicals will destroy the vinyl)

I have a carbon fibre brush to remove dust but I need to remove residue as well.

Wood glue. Seriously.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/why-wood-glue-is-the-best-way-155894

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It's kind of ironic that illegal downloads are sometimes easier than the free download codes you now get with some records. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭xlogo

iamstop wrote:
    If a sleeve comes apart at the seams (not torn) would you re-glue it? Just happened to me. Not sure if I will.

Do they still sell the plastic sleeves? I would put it one of those to keep it together or to stop making it worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anyone have any recommendations for decent online stores for vinyl?

New (or second-hand), etc with a good, broad catalogue that is easily navigated?

I find Tower and Music Zone have good stock, for example, but they are no good for browsing - you need to search for specifics.

Also, any sites that are good for news on releases, reissues, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

My sisters husband from England seems to love charity shops to find records.. He loves going round to them to see what he can find. Don't quite get this fascination because I seek out good music, and I don't see how one could find it randomly in a charity shop. Again, not sure what he gets from it but it's fun watching him trying to find whatever it is he's looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

New (or second-hand), etc with a good, broad catalogue that is easily navigated?

I find Tower and Music Zone have good stock, for example, but they are no good for browsing - you need to search for specifics.

I use/have used Discogs for buying with good success.

colossus-x wrote: »
    My sisters husband from England seems to love charity shops to find records.. He loves going round to them to see what he can find. Don't quite get this fascination because I seek out good music, and I don't see how one could find it randomly in a charity shop. Again, not sure what he gets from it but it's fun watching him trying to find whatever it is he's looking for.

I reckon charity shops were probably a gold mine a few years ago but vinyl is a lot more popular now so they likelihood of finding something in there has probably diminished as more people are looking and/or holding onto stuff.

Best I've found is flea markets, but they can be just as hit and miss - or the good stuff can be really expensive which is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Good online stores for general music on vinyl are the likes of Norman Records, Banquet Records, WhatRecords and Recordstore.co.uk (all are UK based). Postage can be expensive for vinyl, of these Norman are the cheapest (I think) but they don't carry a lot of mainstream stuff. Amazon aren't bad either, with the added advantage that you can swing free shipping on most stuff. Newonvinyl are a Dutch site with a good selection and free shipping on EU orders over €99, but check their prices as they can be very expensive on certain items. For secondhand stuff, eBay and Discogs are the main sites to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I really really like discogs. Waiting on 2 new purchases to arrive from there at the minute.

blastman wrote: »
    Good online stores for general music on vinyl are the likes of Norman Records, Banquet Records, WhatRecords and Recordstore.co.uk (all are UK based). Postage can be expensive for vinyl, of these Norman are the cheapest (I think) but they don't carry a lot of mainstream stuff. Amazon aren't bad either, with the added advantage that you can swing free shipping on most stuff. Newonvinyl are a Dutch site with a good selection and free shipping on EU orders over €99, but check their prices as they can be very expensive on certain items. For secondhand stuff, eBay and Discogs are the main sites to visit.
    PucaMama wrote: »
    I really really like discogs. Waiting on 2 new purchases to arrive from there at the minute.

Awesome - cheers!! Will spend my afternoon emptying my bank account :p

Advertisement