Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running fashion for men Running Shorts Over Tights?

Options
  • 12-02-2016 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Perennial debate on whether running shorts should be worn over running tights (Men in this case, but the laydeez, decline to staters, and gfluids might have similar fashion dilemmas).

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-debates/should-guys-wear-shorts-over-their-tights?cid=SOC_sp_RW

It's a bit like the "Should scotsmen wear jocks (see what I did there?) under their kilts?" argument in reverse.

For me: Never. It's tights all the time. But then I have the legs for it.

Shorts + tights is just plain NAFF.

Any thoughts from Irish runners of any gender or identification?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Acceptable running attire for lower half of blokes consists of shorts, shoes and socks. Anything else is not needed or looks weird.

If you are running through proper extreme weather conditions, and for a long duration, then tights or tights over the top of shorts so you can remove the top layer is just about acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

So when we're out running we have to worry about fashion now?? Fook that!

I don't care how I look when I'm running, once I'm working myself. And if someone wants to judge me on my appearance while I'm running then that says a lot more about them than me

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

What ever about the fashion I'd say I'd find tights too restrictive. I even find wearing long sleeve tops and jackets too much even on the wet and coldest nights of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So when we're out running we have to worry about fashion now?? Fook that!

I don't care how I look when I'm running, once I'm working myself. And if someone wants to judge me on my appearance while I'm running then that says a lot more about them than me

Real runners don't care how they look when out running, they are working too hard to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Running shorts over tights is the worst thing in the world, worse than Hitler. Just don't do it. Either running tights on their own, or shorts on their own. I'm sure the "real men don't wear tights brigade" will be along soon, there must be some rather big (or maybe little ;)) insecurities there. :pac:

Between November and February I wear running tights on practically every easy and long run. Call me a sissy but I don't care, cold legs suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

I spend a lot of time out in the weather on my farm. I have invested in excellent rain proof breathable gear for this purpose. I also have really good wind proof gear. They keep me warm and comfortable.
    Leggings do the same while running during the winter so I wear them. I don't see the difference between the two concepts. That is aimed at the real men don't wear tights brigade. The only thing is my wife will not let me leave the house without shorts over the leggings as she says I look like a budgie smuggler. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What ever about the fashion I'd say I'd find tights too restrictive.

Get outta here with your humble brag.

It's either one or the other, never both. Tights are comfy if you have the right ones, and it you're going to be up in the hills in the depths of winter for a while they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I wear tights for every single session from October until around late April, even if the weather is warm. For something as explosive as sprinting, you need to keep the legs as warm as possible, particularly given you're standing around during recoveries sometimes.

Since when did running become a fashion contest by the way? There's been a few threads on this now. Winners are decided based on the clock. They don't give out points for style. Imagine losing a 800m race by 1 second, but the judges reckon your skin tight sexy tights are worth 1.5 seconds and you get declared the winner. All nonsense. Wear whatever helps your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Real runners don't care how they look when out running, they are working too hard to care.

even on the easy runs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

pconn062 wrote: »
    Running shorts over tights is the worst thing in the world, worse than Hitler. Just don't do it. Either running tights on their own, or shorts on their own. I'm sure the "real men don't wear tights brigade" will be along soon, there must be some rather big (or maybe little ;)) insecurities there. :pac:

Between November and February I wear running tights on practically every easy and long run. Call me a sissy but I don't care, cold legs suck.

Not sissy, more track fairy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

If u literally havent got the balls to wear dem with no shorts ..dont wear them..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Admittedly I'm a newbie but I'm a shorts over tights man. Modesty and somewhere to put my phone (can't run without something playing in my ears) being the main reasons.

Dodge wrote: »
    Admittedly I'm a newbie but I'm a shorts over tights man. Modesty and somewhere to put my phone (can't run without something playing in my ears) being the main reasons.
    Buy a arm strap for your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Shorts over leggings is only acceptable when the shorts are made by O'Neills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Fashion trends are increasing the cost of running:

Is it just me or has the cost of running gear gone completely crazy last couple of years along with the running boom?

Went to look for the 2016 edition of my favourite shoe and they are currently on sale for €140.

I picked up the 2015 edition for €76 last year.

So buy the 2015 edition I hear you say? Well they’re on sale for €90.

I went into another fitness store to see if they had them. Sales assistant asks me what mileage I do and immediately recommends the Kayano, the most expensive shoe in the place.

All the gear now seems to be aimed at fashion conscience market along with the prices to match.

OP, just curious, why do you believe it is important to look good while running?The best runners in the world don't even look good when running (excluding Allyson Felix and thsys because of her flawless running technique, not her apparel.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Price of gear, particularly runners, has certainly shot up. When I used to wear Kayanos years ago they were always the most expensive by quite a bit.

Now that I've moved on, the pairs I wear now are at the price of what the Kayanos used to be, and just for a laugh I checked out the price of Kayanos recently, €180 in 2 different places! That's a ridiculous price. That's about €50 more than the price I last paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've won (very very very long) races wearing a pair of shoes that cost 20 Euros. I do about 30% of my training wearing a pair of shoes that cost 15 Euros (reduced from 20). Can't remember the last time I bought any running clothes made by one of the big running apparel brands.

As for leggings/ shorts etc. Chivito nailed it. Whatever works!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Buy a arm strap for your phone.

Never. Happy to look stupid in shorts instead of stupid with an arm strap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Ill go with tights/leggings only when its dark, but in daylight i try to keep it decent and put shorts on top, there's women and children to think about! Also in the very cold weather, like when it was near zero a few nights back, it keeps the extreme chill off certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Currently doing most of my runs in tights, never feel the need to wear shorts over the top.

Murtinho wrote: »
    Ill go with tights/leggings only when its dark, but in daylight i try to keep it decent and put shorts on top, there's women and children to think about! Also in the very cold weather, like when it was near zero a few nights back, it keeps the extreme chill off certain areas.

Ridiculous.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

I'd say the man was being smart hence the exclamation mark after. Jeez talk about Mr Buzzkill!!

tang1 wrote: »
    I'd say the man was being smart hence the exclamation mark after. Jeez talk about Mr Buzzkill!!

In that case, you must be acting extra smart given your 2 exclamation marks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Wore the tights out with no shorts running recently and the missus politely asked for me to wear shorts over them, she said no one needs to see my big bulge in public.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    In that case, you must be acting extra smart given your 2 exclamation marks. ;)

Of course sure what else would I be implying.

This thread reminds me of that Simpson's episode with Flanders skiing "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all"

This thread reminds me of that Simpson's episode with Flanders skiing "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've tried running tights a few times, always find they chaff the hell out of me so I've stayed with shorts all year round now, its just easier,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Shorts and t-shirt all year round, no matter what the weather.

Tights on men is just plain wrong. I've only seen it around Dublin; wouldn't get away with it up the country.

Advertisement