Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running fashion for men Running Shorts Over Tights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Any socks and shorts other than GAA ones are frowned upon outside of Dublin for jaysus sake.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Any socks and shorts other than GAA ones are frowned upon outside of Dublin for jaysus sake.

I'm certainly not in Dublin and I've only seen runners out in GAA socks/shorts maybe a hand full of times in the last 6 years

But you agree you wouldn't get away with tights outside of Dublin?!?

I didn't think anything posted past page 1 was actually serious in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Tights on men is just plain wrong. I've only seen it around Dublin; wouldn't get away with it up the country.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I didn't think anything posted past page 1 was actually serious in this thread.

Deadly serious, I've been getting away with this for years ^

Though all depends on where 'up the country' is, relative to Dublin we're 'across' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I wonder how some of you get out the door at all with all the fashion decisions to be made :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Guys, long distance running is not sexy no matter what way you try to spin it.

sconhome wrote: »
    Though all depends on where 'up the country' is, relative to Dublin we're 'across' ;)

Up the country must mean those across the border so, as I've been know to wear leggings across the pale walls and was never chased back by the angry hordes.
    Chivito550 wrote: »

Well that's certainly the wrong attitude to have, and is the type of thing that gives runners a bad name, I like to look fabulous at all times.

Long and slow versus hard and fast like track running?

It's all about the stamina ;)

sconhome wrote: »
    Long and slow versus hard and fast like track running?

It's all about the stamina ;)

This whole thread has reminded me of the first part of this classic post from the A/R archives. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68720770&postcount=194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Lads what do you put in your hair before long runs, gel or wax. My ghd is broke at the moment,
    He he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

ronn wrote:
    Lads what do you put in your hair before long runs, gel or wax. My ghd is broke at the moment, He he

Just shave it all off, more lightweight & aerodynamic that way.

Why the need for tights at all - it doesn't get that cold in Ireland...?

Maybe in places with harsh winters they are required.

even at a moderate pace you'll be warmed up pretty rapidly in the legs so no need.
    running gloves are certainly needed at times, maybe a running hat.
    one poster was on about the need for tights for sprinting but that would be a very very small percentage of runners.

tights with or without shorts over just do look a bit unnatural on men - fact.

glasso wrote: »

Maybe in places with harsh winters they are required.

even at a moderate pace you'll be warmed up pretty rapidly in the legs so no need.
    running gloves are certainly needed at times, maybe a running hat.
    one poster was on about the need for tights for sprinting but that would be a very very small percentage of runners.

tights with or without shorts over just do look a bit unnatural on men - fact.

If somebody is just going jogging then it wouldn’t matter much. But for anybody who does sessions during winter, whether on hills, on the track, or somewhere else, then I believe tights are a smart move. If you are working on speed then it is important to keep the muscles warm, to lower the risk of muscle pulls. It’s not a fashion thing, it’s an injury prevention thing.

I used to never wear tights during winter when I lived in Melbourne. I found 10 to 12 degrees to be easy to run in with just shorts (though all the locals wore tights as they’ve been acclimatized to the local conditions their entire life), but since moving home, I’ve realized I needed to keep the legs warm. Running fast reps on a track in 3 degrees is tough on the body.

I don’t believe tights are only needed by sprinters. Middle distance runners and long distance runners who do sessions (any runner worth their salt does sessions) would need them too.

If somebody is just going jogging then it wouldn’t matter much. But for anybody who does sessions during winter, whether on hills, on the track, or somewhere else, then I believe tights are a smart move. If you are working on speed then it is important to keep the muscles warm, to lower the risk of muscle pulls. It’s not a fashion thing, it’s an injury prevention thing.

I used to never wear tights during winter when I lived in Melbourne. I found 10 to 12 degrees to be easy to run in with just shorts (though all the locals wore tights as they’ve been acclimatized to the local conditions their entire life), but since moving home, I’ve realized I needed to keep the legs warm. Running fast reps on a track in 3 degrees is tough on the body.

I don’t believe tights are only needed by sprinters. Middle distance runners and long distance runners who do sessions (any runner worth their salt does sessions) would need them too.

the vast vast majority of guys that I see out in tights just seem to be jogging (a constant moderate pace as opposed to "session" or interval work etc) tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wrong.

There are plenty of ways of going hypothermic in Ireland. There's no shortage of eejits getting themselves into trouble because they think that just because we're not in the alps / the arctic that you won't get dangerously cold. The all-pervading dampness in Maritime climates, such as the UK and Ireland, is potentially lethal.

Enduro wrote: »
    Wrong.

There are plenty of ways of going hypothermic in Ireland. There's no shortage of eejits getting themselves into trouble because they think that just because we're not in the alps / the arctic that you won't get dangerously cold. The all-pervading dampness in Maritime climates, such as the UK and Ireland, is potentially lethal.

Quite right, and here is exhibit A from yesterdays IMRA race in Laragh. A photo I took from the start of the race and at then end about 40 minutes later...

377875.jpg

the vast vast majority of guys that I see out in tights just seem to be jogging (a constant moderate pace as opposed to "session" or interval work etc) tbh.

True.

That's a 75% of the time description for me ;) but at the end of the day I'm of an age:
    1) where I couldn't give 2 fiddlers what anyone else thinks of me and
    2) who cares, they're out running / jogging / walking whatever is better than slouching on a sofa watching Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Quite right, and here is exhibit A from yesterdays IMRA race in Laragh. A photo I took from the start of the race and at then end about 40 minutes later...

377875.jpg

True but the person who won the race did it shorts and a vest.

Running tights pollute the countryside and have no place on the mountain.

Djoucer wrote: »
    True but the person who won the race did it shorts and a vest.

irrelevant really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

irrelevant really.

Twas a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

Find it hilarious how much lads wearing tights to keep warm in the cold days/nights exercising bothers people on here so much.

Tights only
    Tights/shorts together
    Shorts only

Who cares really? I find it funny that my Missus finds it offensive if I just go out wearing the tights with no shorts, each to their own and all that.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Twas a joke.

Sorry;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

No no no no just NO! You should never wear shorts over tights... ever.

Men wearing tights is the equivalent of a women wearing a low cut top. People are going to check you out. It happens all the time when I wear Lycra.

Its either all or nothing. You should pick one or the other. Tights were designed for those who can just fúcking rock it, Lads who just have it. The ankles, quads, calves, ass and the junk. Its all about espousing confidence in yourself, showing people that you don't have any insecurities about yourself and have high self-esteem. Putting shorts over tights just belies this and highlights to everyone who glimpses the monstrosity what a weak coward you are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Shorts for me in pretty much any weather in this country. Wear Bib Tights cycling in the cold alright but just shorts for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

c0rk3r wrote: »
    No no no no just NO! You should never wear shorts over tights... ever.

Men wearing tights is the equivalent of a women wearing a low cut top. People are going to check you out. It happens all the time when I wear Lycra.

Its either all or nothing. You should pick one or the other. Tights were designed for those who can just fúcking rock it, Lads who just have it. The ankles, quads, calves, ass and the junk. Its all about espousing confidence in yourself, showing people that you don't have any insecurities about yourself and have high self-esteem. Putting shorts over tights just belies this and highlights to everyone who glimpses the monstrosity what a weak coward you are.

Early contender for A/R post of the year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I wore my Skins leggings (don't tights have feet?) this morning on my recovery run (no session and no strides), with long socks underneath, two long sleeved tops and a hat and gloves and my run was 9.43% more enjoyable than if I had wore just a t-shirt and shorts.
    Did I care what the dog walkers along the prom thought...eh...no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    my run was 9.43% more enjoyable than if I had wore just a t-shirt and shorts.

Where is the data & research to back this figure up?!

tang1 wrote: »
    Where is the data & research to back this figure up?!

I can share, but you have to subscribe first - €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think we can all agree, whether we favour shorts, tights or shorts over tights, that a man wearing white cycling-type shorts with nothing underneath is a big no-no. I saw far too much :eek:

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think we can all agree, whether we favour shorts, tights or shorts over tights, that a man wearing white cycling-type shorts with nothing underneath is a big no-no. I saw far too much :eek:

Light colours and skin tight lyrca in an environment where moisture can come into play is NEVER a good combination.

Advertisement