Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digger on Twitter

Options
  • 12-02-2016 10:36am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For any cycling twitterati out there poor old digger has disappeared..
    Rumours are he was served a summons for libel god know what for and here was so much to choose from).

Sad to see him go although I did find his unrelenting negativity hard to take.

Bit of a warning though that hiding behind anonymous user names on d'internet does protect you that much.....

Hope he's ok though and best wishes to him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can tell cycling hypocrisy where to go, but those runner and thrower people are soft and sensitive...

I was wondering why he wasn't showing up on my twitter feed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

He's back.
    Has a pic of Mark Cavendish in civvies stopping to fix a puncture for some lady

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

In fairness he does hit the nail on the head on a regular basis. Most cycling fans only see what they want to see . Professional cycling and its management system are starting to resemble WWE . Heroes , villains but most of all entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness he does hit the nail on the head on a regular basis. Most cycling fans only see what they want to see .
    Sometimes. He kinda lost me when he and Vayer made a big issue out of a Dan Martin quote that was taken completely out of context - if there is a hint of negative point to be found, he runs with it.
    Professional cycling and its management system are starting to resemble WWE . Heroes , villains but most of all entertainment.
    Only starting? I look back at the late 90's and early 2000's as exactly that - and it was entertaining!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only starting? I look back at the late 90's and early 2000's as exactly that - and it was entertaining!

I'd go back to the mid 80's and the great La Vie Claire days of Greg v Tapie/Hinault as a real start of the face and heel job of cycling. Others have ran with it since, Vino, Riise, Bruyneel etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

thank God he's back, raises some very interesting points among the rants - spot on with his good doping bad doping bingo - i.e. Millar good, Lance bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm having a nice little spat with him on twitter now!
    He's insinuating that Sonia O'Sullivan was doping, but like most of his stuff that I see, he's no evidence to back it up.
    Its actually laughable that he's now crying at me for taking him to task for his insinuations that can damage the reputation of someone with an exemplary record and not an ounce of doubt against her.
    Seems like the typical social media 'celeb' to me, cant take it when people don't fawn over everything he puts out, and is incapable of handling any criticism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He works on the assumption that if you are competing at the top level and are on top you must be a doper. There is no other explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I followed him for a fair while but his unremitting negativity just got to me and I recently unfollowed him. There may be some good in his messages, but the overwhelming volumn of bile ensures that it is lost.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I like his posts. I think it's the unfortunate reality that is professional sport. We get told that the tests are getting better, athletes more honest...

Then we get Sharapova and the Russian athletics scandal. It's hard not to remain skeptical.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I followed him for a fair while but his unremitting negativity just got to me and I recently unfollowed him. There may be some good in his messages, but the overwhelming volumn of bile ensures that it is lost.....

I'm a very infrequent twitter user and have only recently started to follow him.
    the issues he opines on are ones that interest me and I'm sure a great many others who are interested in cycling and/or sport in general.
    I'm very cynical about all forms of modern sport, cycling being just one. For that reason I tend to have no interest in teams or individuals (aside from my long-time passion for Everton FC) and just follow the sport itself, if that makes sense. I like soccer, bike racing etc, so I watch and enjoy them. I don't care who is in the jerseys or what the jerseys have written on them.
    But I do take umbrage when I see someone insinuating about a person who has a remarkable reputation, well above and beyond what is normal, amongst her peers and fans of her sport, one who has never been linked in the slightest way to ped's. I hate the style these people take, talking in riddles and double speak, portraying themselves as in the know and somehow party to information and knowledge the rest of us mere mortals couldn't hope to gain.
    They have huge egos and their twitter 'celebrity' feeds that.
    If you are gonna attack a person, do it properly and clearly say what you mean, not speaking in tongues the way the likes of digger and his ilk do. If you cant back it up, don't say it publically.
    These guys seem to want to have their cake and eat it, rant away on a massively public forum like twitter with complete impunity.
    His crying today showed him up for what he is imho. Complete fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Watching/listening to Off The Ball last night on Eir. I think this guy messaged the show saying how if the Russians were doping then what about the teams that finished above them in the medal table - as in, are they not worthy of similar inquiry? Fair point!

I can't see the Olympics lasting much longer in their current form. Nobody wants to hold them bar maybe the French. Most who tune in every four years to watch the spectacle of the 100m, swimming, gymnastics etc. believe that they're all doping and simply watch it for the crack of seeing somebody do things with their body that us mere mortals can only imagine.

I reckon that in 10-12 years time the IOC will split off the various events and host them in different cities to maintain interest ( and therefore income) that is beginning to wane recently.

Also, he really doesn't like Team Shy, does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Digger is a bit of a joke really. Sad I would say. To invest that much time into non-stop moaning about doping in professional sport. Clearly he sees himself as some kind of insider and he lives for the attention he gets from the type of idiots who populate the Cyclingnews forums. Thats not to say he isn't right on certain things but still why the attention whoring?

Guys who believe everyone dopes but still feel the need to dissect every little thing that happens to try and prove doping and where every thing is a sign of doping, even when riders are performing badly(bad bloodbag:rolleyes:).

I would think if that is how people feel, they should either accept it for what it is or move on. There are 10 million things more worthwhile for people to get irate about and invest their time in rather than getting on their moral highground over pro sports people doping. I do understand someone like Kimmage though as they lived it and it is their career as a journalist.

Lets not forget, Digger worships at the altar of St Floyd Landis. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Digger is a bit of a joke really. Sad I would say. To invest that much time into non-stop moaning about doping in professional sport. Clearly he sees himself as some kind of insider and he lives for the attention he gets from the type of idiots who populate the Cyclingnews forums. Thats not to say he isn't right on certain things but still why the attention whoring?

Guys who believe everyone dopes but still feel the need to dissect every little thing that happens to try and prove doping and where every thing is a sign of doping, even when riders are performing badly(bad bloodbag:rolleyes:).

I would think if that is how people feel, they should either accept it for what it is or move on. There are 10 million things more worthwhile for people to get irate about and invest their time in rather than getting on their moral highground over pro sports people doping. I do understand someone like Kimmage though as they lived it and it is their career as a journalist.

Lets not forget, Digger worships at the altar of St Floyd Landis. What a joke.

sure you dont have to read or follow his tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

morana wrote: »
    sure you dont have to read or follow his tweets

I dont do twitter at all so I dont read his stuff. I used to browse the cyclingnews forums and Digger posted there and was worshipped by the idiot crowd whowould quote his twitter, so I know the general gist.

I just don't see the point investing that much time or energy into the pro side of sport and doping. I would admit to getting dragged into forums before but once I got involved with my local club, I kinda lost interest in the pro side of the sport. Far more fun with the club scene here.

Maybe Digger is involved with CI, I doubt it but imagine someone with that energy working for CI/Club instead ot attention seeking on twitter. Look at his twitter name or whatever F the Hypocrisy and then realise he worships Floyd Lanids. Irony much.

Maybe ask Digger did Floyd really finish on the podium in the Dauphine riding totally clean to see what response you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I dont do twitter at all so I dont read his stuff. I used to browse the cyclingnews forums and Digger posted there and was worshipped by the idiot crowd whowould quote his twitter, so I know the general gist.

I just don't see the point investing that much time or energy into the pro side of sport and doping. I would admit to getting dragged into forums before but once I got involved with my local club, I kinda lost interest in the pro side of the sport. Far more fun with the club scene here.

Maybe Digger is involved with CI, I doubt it but imagine someone with that energy working for CI/Club instead ot attention seeking on twitter. Look at his twitter name or whatever F the Hypocrisy and then realise he worships Floyd Lanids. Irony much.

Maybe ask Digger did Floyd really finish on the podium in the Dauphine riding totally clean to see what response you get.

why do you want to know what response you get?

if you don't care what he says?

why would you complain about 'Digger on Twitter', if you're not on twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Where's digger gone now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pretty sure I saw him tweet the other day that he was taking a break.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He's still tweeting away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

CramCycle wrote: »
    He's still tweeting away

His twitter account is gone.

His twitter account is gone.
    Well damn it, he was there yesterday. Wonder what happened. I didn't agree with all his rants but he was typically on the money. This said, it's like trying to hit the wide side of a bus. You only miss if you want too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Is it fine to name him here?

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Is it fine to name him here?
    Personally I think its a bit ****ty. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out but the behaviour of.some people on twitter towards him in the past has been sh1t, abusing him and his family. I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

CramCycle wrote: »
    Personally I think its a bit ****ty. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out but the behaviour of.some people on twitter towards him in the past has been sh1t, abusing him and his family. I wouldn't do it.

Yeah, you're right. Just thought people on this forum might be able to explain what makes him such a guru on all things gambling cycling. Like he doesn't appear to have had an incredible under age career.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Digger Forum represents all that is desparate about twitter. I think it is mostly irrelevant that he/she calls out dopers. He is an angry troll.
    There is a big difference between suspecting something and accusing someone.
    Better off without following people like him/her - whoever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think he had focussed his sights on Ronaldo and his physique lately, but we all know socer is clean.

Dont know a great deal about him, tho imho he was a bit of a twat, when I questioned his comments about someone (ah, I looked back on this thread and I'd actually mentioned this before, it was Sonia O'Sullivan!), condemning that person with no evidence to back it up, he just blocked me rather than debate the point. That seemed to be his general approach in my limited experience.
    Doesnt say much about him in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He was a decent source for gathering the various pieces of information regarding the Fancy Bears fallout and pointing out the differing accounts of Mo Farah's whereabouts, training with Jama Aden, and when the testers came knocking etc.

However, he was also plain wrong in certain cases and prone to making outrageously libelous remarks. Recently, he has fallen into the 'fake natty' debate and effectively said anyone who trains in a gym and is in decent shape must be taking gear. Ridiculous stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Unfollowed him a while back, he's probably not too far off with a lot of the stuff he says but just found the incessant negativity too much.

Also think it's a bit cowardly of him to be publicly accusing riders of doping from the comfort of an anonymous Twitter account (although tbf most regular followers know who he supposedly is)

Advertisement