Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Savings for a 28year old

• 12-02-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am just wondering what are the average savings of a 28year old (or any other age) in Ireland at the moment?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

More seriously though there is no one who can give you that answer; about the closest you're going to get is something like this. And that is not taking into account the difference in earnings; occupation etc. Another way to look at it is how much of your net salary are you saving on average over a year; anything below 20% is something you'd probably want to look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Impossible to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I'm 28 and have 98k in savings with my wife. We have our own house and about 60k in investments. We have been quite fortunate though as we both got made redundant last May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm in my late 40s, and am putting about 10% of my before-tax salary into a pension scheme each month.

And I aim to put about two thirds of the that amount into my regular savings account each month, but don't always manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm in my late 40s, and am putting about 10% of my before-tax salary into a pension scheme each month.

And I aim to put about two thirds of the that amount into my regular savings account each month, but don't always manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Frynge wrote: »
    I'm 28 and have 98k in savings with my wife. We have our own house and about 60k in investments. We have been quite fortunate though as we both got made redundant last May.

Wow you are doing really well - I have to say I am intrigued as how you amassed such savings and investments (plus your own house) at just 28.

Did you receive any inheritance/windfall along the way ? Or is the majority of your savings from your PAYE or self employed income ?

I'm sorry to hear you were both made redundant but I'm sure you both are in professional employment and will be back into the workforce again very shortly.

I'm in my late 40s, and am putting about 10% of my before-tax salary into a pension scheme each month.......

Good to see this mentioned in a savings topic, the amount of people who don't consider their pension as a savings pot always amazes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

Frynge wrote: »

Is your mortgage cleared already?

Advertisement