Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI GTX 770 SLI Questions

Options
  • 12-02-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I've decided to upgrade to SLI 770s. The reason being, I came across a relatively cheap second card and thought why not! Problem is the motherboard I'm currently using isn't compatible. I have a H97-97HD3, a perfectly good motherboard but obviously no good to me if i follow through on this.

Im looking for a suggestion on a suitable motherboard. Budget being around £150.

I have all the parts for overclocking so thats something i would consider.

Current set up is: i5 4670k, Corsair cooler, 8gb RAM, H97-HD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

DaDerv wrote: »
    I've decided to upgrade to SLI 770s. The reason being, I came across a relatively cheap second card and thought why not! Problem is the motherboard I'm currently using isn't compatible. I have a H97-97HD3, a perfectly good motherboard but obviously no good to me if i follow through on this.

Im looking for a suggestion on a suitable motherboard. Budget being around £150.

I have all the parts for overclocking so thats something i would consider.

Current set up is: i5 4670k, Corsair cooler, 8gb RAM, H97-HD3

Have you bought it already? Will your power supply handle two cards? If not you might be better off selling your 770, and going with a faster single card, as opposed to buying another 770, a motherboard (and possibly a power supply)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Have you bought it already? Will your power supply handle two cards? If not you might be better off selling your 770, and going with a faster single card, as opposed to buying another 770, a motherboard (and possibly a power supply)

Yeah I have. I have a Corsair AX 760 so that should be more than capable? Sorry i excluded that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a waste really when you have to buy an all new motherboard. Far easier just to sell your current 770 and buy a GTX970.

Also Kepler GPU's are performing poorly lately, whatever Nvidia are doing with their drivers - add the fact that SLI scaling is bad in many games, the whole thing just doesn't make sense when you need to actually invest at least €120 in a new sli compatiable motherboard.

GTX970 or R9 390 is the far easier choice and will be a huge upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

150 pound is an awesome budget for a motherboard..

Asrock extreme range.

Msi gaming range.

Should run about 100-150 euro. Just make sure it has 2 pci express 3.0

Look with that said and somewhat answering your op. I'm guessing you are gaming on 1080p.

My personal opinion.

Unless those two 770 are 2 4gb versions you are still limited to 2gb ram.

Save your 150 pound. the sale of two GTX 770 will get you a gtx970 and some left over . You are getting a good card with a lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

MSI Z97S SLI is €115 and offers SLI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement