Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good recipe for frittata with potato...

Options
  • 12-02-2016 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I had the most delicious frittata in a cafe the other day and I've been strolling through recipe after recipe on the net to find something similar but not a lot of them have potato. Also, I don't have a skillet pan but I have a quiche dish. Anyone have a recipe or have an idea how I could add the potato and cook the frittata without the skillet? If not, I'll just buy the skillet. I would love to have something like a tomato, bacon, potato and cheese frittata. Any recipes and methods much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't really have a recipe as such, as frittatas are something I usually make to use up leftovers, so they're different every time.
    But the staple ingredients are potatoes and eggs.

I usually use either 1 big potato, or 2-3 small salad potatoes (the salad ones work better, but I don't always have them at home).
    I peel and dice the potato and parboil them (I use the microwave for that if I'm pressed for time).
    Then I would slice and fry up all the other ingredients I've got (onions, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, anything you fancy really), and fry them until soft in a little oil. Spicing can be creative, depending on ingredients, but mushrooms love a bit of parsley, for example.

I then get a big bowl and beat 6 eggs, then mix in my veg and the boiled potatoes.
    The whole thing goes back into the pan, stays on the hob until the eggs start setting, then a bit of grated cheese is sprinkled on and I finish it under the grill, because I can't be bothered with trying to flip it over.

I think if you wanted to bake your mixture in a quiche dish in the oven, that would work just fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You can also slice the potatoes very thinly and fry them up in a bit of butter ... do it in batches if you want.

Then just layer in the potato slices with the other bits and bobs (pre fried or not, depending on what you're using) and spices/seasoning and pour over the beaten eggs as described by Shenshen.

F.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You can do it in a non-stick frying pan. :)

When I'm boiling baby potatoes for a dinner I put on double so that I have enough to make one of these a day or so later. Slice and fry them, do this with whatever else you are putting into it. I usually do my ingredients in batches - sliced green peppers, onion, chorizo, or whatever else needs using up in the fridge, and mix it all up at the end.

Once you've it all fried off, lower the heat down a fair bit - it needs a slower cook so that the egg mix cooks through but you don't want to burn the base of it either. Put your ingredients back into the frying pan, and gently flatten down, pour over beaten egg, then dot around halved cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle herbs or spices of your choice - I usually leave it at black pepper and paprika but you can use whatever you fancy. I don't bother with cheese but you could add a small amount of grated cheese to the mix or on top if you want.

After about 10 mins, put under a medium grill to do the top. If needs be, return to the hob again. Once the egg mix has cooked in the middle its good to go.

Its great for lunches and also nice cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I had the most delicious frittata in a cafe the other day and I've been strolling through recipe after recipe on the net to find something similar but not a lot of them have potato. Also, I don't have a skillet pan but I have a quiche dish. Anyone have a recipe or have an idea how I could add the potato and cook the frittata without the skillet? If not, I'll just buy the skillet.

Do you not have a frying pan? These days "skillet" is usually just the American term for a pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do you not have a frying pan? These days "skillet" is usually just the American term for a pan.

Oh I thought a skillet is a pan with a metal handle, I have a pan with a plastic handle that I probably wouldn't chance putting under the grill. I'm confused now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Oh I thought a skillet is a pan with a metal handle, I have a pan with a plastic handle that I probably wouldn't chance putting under the grill. I'm confused now

Originally skillet did tend to refer to a completely cast iron pan, but generally these days skillet and frying pan are interchangeable terms when reading American recipes.

Google the make, if possible, but most frying pans you buy here have bakelite rather than plastic handles, and are perfectly fine to stick under the grill for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oh I thought a skillet is a pan with a metal handle, I have a pan with a plastic handle that I probably wouldn't chance putting under the grill. I'm confused now :)
    Ah yeah, stick it under the grill with most of the handle sticking out. That's what most of us do.

As for frittata with spud, mostly mine only get spud if there's leftovers, if I have to cook spud from scratch for it, it's a more spanish tortilla style affair. (slices of potato in plenty of oil, with onions, cooked slow with the lid on till tender, then add beaten eggs with plenty of salt (two eggs for a large spud) and either flip or stick under the grill when the time comes).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Ah yeah, stick it under the grill with most of the handle sticking out. That's what most of us do.

As for frittata with spud, mostly mine only get spud if there's leftovers, if I have to cook spud from scratch for it, it's a more spanish tortilla style affair. (slices of potato in plenty of oil, with onions, cooked slow with the lid on till tender, then add beaten eggs with plenty of salt (two eggs for a large spud) and either flip or stick under the grill when the time comes).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My frying pan has a non-metal handle, so while I stick it under the grill, I'm careful that the handle isnt directly under the heat, and I check on it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I bought a frittata the other week in Aldi. Chorizo and capsicum. Had a decent amount of potato in it was very good. I was able to take a stab at the recipe from the ingredients.
    Eggs, potato, chorizo, capsicum, milk, cream, flour, (these last three are in small quanties I'm guessing from the macros)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

I made the frittata yesterday for lunch and it turned out great. I was a bit worried about the potato bit but I just diced and parboiled them for 5 minutes, then fried them with the other ingredients (onions, bacon, tomato and spinach at the end). I then put the egg mixture on top and grilled it for 15 minutes. It was delicious, thanks for sending me on the right track :)

Advertisement