Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 6 GP Care

Options
  • 12-02-2016 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I can't locate a more suitable sub forum - mods feel free to move.

Does anyone know how I re-register my child with a new GP for the Under 6 Free GP Care scheme? I can't get past the first page on the registration e-form because my child's PPS No. is already registered on the scheme. I'm not happy with my chosen GP and wish to change. Thought I'd ask here before I contact HSE.

TIA xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm not fully up to date with the modus operandi now, but a few years ago you would have to approach a new GP and they would have the Change of Doctor form that both you and them would fill up. Have you a new GP in mind? If so, give them a ring and ask them what their procedure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Thanks K.
    I think it's different now because registration is via the HSE, not with the actual GP - you merely input GP name when registering. I have a GP in mind but I wouldnt imagine they'd be able to inform me on how to bypass the HSE e-form issue... I might just email HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Apparently the new gp needs to sign a "change of doctor" form and that's sent to the HSE for the card details to be changed?

Might be worth ringing the new GP and asking if they have this form, it could be something they're used to dealing with!

will do Digs, thanks ;)

Update: just in case anyone else needs this info I called new doctor. I've to complete a "Change of Doctor" form with them and it gets sent to HSE and they issue new Free GP Care card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Update: just in case anyone else needs this info I called new doctor. I've to complete a "Change of Doctor" form with them and it gets sent to HSE and they issue new Free GP Care card.

Good luck with it! I submitted the same form last November and it still hasn't been processed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I can't locate a more suitable sub forum - mods feel free to move.

Does anyone know how I re-register my child with a new GP for the Under 6 Free GP Care scheme? I can't get past the first page on the registration e-form because my child's PPS No. is already registered on the scheme. I'm not happy with my chosen GP and wish to change. Thought I'd ask here before I contact HSE.

TIA xx

Dectective Foxtrot now there's a name I haven't seen in years. Your posts were very valuable to me in the TTC forum years ago, so delighted to hear you got your bundle of joy in the end :p:):p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

yellow hen wrote: »
    Good luck with it! I submitted the same form last November and it still hasn't been processed!

Keep on top of it, ring them. We changed docs under our medical cards last year and it was done within two weeks, actually think it was about November too, we didn't get the cards for a few months but the docs could see that we were now covered under them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It took four months for our change to process and even then they never sent out the replacement card so I had to go and request it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So nothing has changed in the past few years. I'm glad I didn't give the wrong info above.;)

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Dectective Foxtrot now there's a name I haven't seen in years. Your posts were very valuable to me in the TTC forum years ago, so delighted to hear you got your bundle of joy in the end :p:):p:)

Aw thanks :o I havent been on in ages.
    My daughter is now 19 months old. Unfortunately I suffered a full term still birth 8 weeks ago. My second daughter was born one day before her due date. She just stopped moving :( To keep me busy at the time I started doing things per above like changing doctors (as you do) - looking back I think I was coping with PTS, think I still am....

I am also still waiting for my application to be processed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss DF. :(

By the way I've a related question re the scheme ... is there any way of registering your child with two GPs? My ex and I have joint custody of our two year old son, we currently live in the same county but this may change, so would be handier in the future to have him registered with both of our own local GPs ... never heard of any provision for this, but I'm sure there must be others in a similar position.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss DF. :(

By the way I've a related question re the scheme ... is there any way of registering your child with two GPs? My ex and I have joint custody of our two year old son, we currently live in the same county but this may change, so would be handier in the future to have him registered with both of our own local GPs ... never heard of any provision for this, but I'm sure there must be others in a similar position.

thank you.

I'm not sure if that's possible. It doesn't seem to be covered in the Q&A so you might have to call them
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/gpvc/under6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Aw thanks :o I havent been on in ages.
    My daughter is now 19 months old. Unfortunately I suffered a full term still birth 8 weeks ago. My second daughter was born one day before her due date. She just stopped moving :( To keep me busy at the time I started doing things per above like changing doctors (as you do) - looking back I think I was coping with PTS, think I still am....

I am also still waiting for my application to be processed :rolleyes:

DFT I'm so so sorry for your loss.

I remember you from ttc boards also. Huge hugs xxx

DF I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lady is a tramp - you can have them registered with two docs but I think you can only have them registered under the free scheme with one so you'd have to be a private patient with the other and pay accordingly. It's probably a question for the HSE directly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Sorry for your loss also dectective

Quick question
    What do you do when you don't have babies pps number yet? Theres a delay in letters being sent out to register so I can't register the birth...to get a pps number...to get this sorted...do you have to pay for visits still?

Lashes28 wrote: »

Quick question
    What do you do when you don't have babies pps number yet? Theres a delay in letters being sent out to register so I can't register the birth...to get a pps number...to get this sorted...do you have to pay for visits still?

What county are you in? I didn't think you had to wait for a letter, we just went in two weeks after the birth and they had the details up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Lashes28 wrote: »

Quick question

When you're registering for free gp online, it's accounted for. I can't remember was it a tick box, or left blank, but I know I registered my boy for free gp care before he was officially registered and it wasn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ah DFT I also remember you from the ttc thread (seems you had an impact on alot of people), so sorry to heard of your loss but equally happy to hear you have you little one too x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

DFT that's just devastating, I'm so sorry for your loss :-(
    I have a daughter the same age as yours and am due daughter no.2 in a few weeks. I can't even imagine the heartbreak after carrying her for 9 months, so so cruel.
    I hope your toddler is providing some distraction during this deeply distressing time x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

January wrote: »
    What county are you in? I didn't think you had to wait for a letter, we just went in two weeks after the birth and they had the details up...

Neither did I...queued up in Drogheda last week for an hour to be told I needed a letter to register as he wasn't on the system..he's 6 weeks old

It's lovely to reconnect with you guys - it's heartening to see so many ladies continuing to support each other on the ttc board with many migrating over to the newborn/toddler board. It's been such a long time since I've been on here - what a long journey I've been on, and still am on.
    Yes truly and utterly devastating. The pain and grief is indescribable. Just taking it day by day, hour by hour. I miss her so much. Thank god I have my other daughter. I don't know how women go through this on their first baby, I really don't think I'd cope.

Lucuma - exciting times ahead for you - it'll be so lovely having them so close in age.

Ms2011 - I hope things are working out for you too

Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The only thing I could think of that might help is if there's one of the out of hours doctor services in your area. They do accept the under 6 card, and obviously you wouldn't be registered with that as your regular doctor so if you needed to see a doctor on something quickly without paying the fee you could still use that service.

FYI - I was at the GP today for a different reason but I took the opportunity to enquire about my daughter's GP transfer. They told me that as soon as I filed the 'Change of Doctor' papers with them my daughter was eligible to attend the new doctor straight away, irrespective of the fact that I'm still waiting for The HSE to issue my new card.

FYI - I was at the GP today for a different reason but I took the opportunity to enquire about my daughter's GP transfer. They told me that as soon as I filed the 'Change of Doctor' papers with them my daughter was eligible to attend the new doctor straight away, irrespective of the fact that I'm still waiting for The HSE to issue my new card.

That's been the case for us too. I just have to sign a form each time we visit.

That's been the case for us too. I just have to sign a form each time we visit.

Yep, same with us although with medical cards not under 6 cards. Sign a form everytime you visit. I rang and requested the cards be sent to me, it seems they're not sent automatically.

January wrote: »
    Yep, same with us although with medical cards not under 6 cards. Sign a form everytime you visit. I rang and requested the cards be sent to me, it seems they're not sent automatically.

Oh feck, and I'm sitting here waiting on my card since November!

Oh feck, and I'm sitting here waiting on my card since November!

Haha the receptionist told me they could see that we'd been changed over to them on the system so when I hadn't received the cards three weeks later I rang them and she was like 'oh you want cards sent out do you?' I had them the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My GP didn't charge once she could see him on her system even though the card hadn't arrived. They charged before that tho

• Advertisement

Oh sorry, I should be clear my GP has said it has changed over but I still assumed we'd get a new card.

Advertisement