Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe do you now feel in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

seamus wrote: »
    Coming home on Friday there was an ad on the radio for one of the weekend rags that went along the lines of, "A city FROZEN IN TERROR".

And here I was enjoying a nice sunny drive through Dublin, witnessing plenty of people out enjoying life.

I wonder do these people not laugh at themselves when they come up with copy like it?

It's a complete joke. I have been to properly dangerous cities, cities where a bomb could go off at any given time, cities where there is a high risk of kidnapping, cities where guns can be produced after a simple heated argument.

And then we get headlines like that. Dublin is a utopia compared to some places. I genuinely don't think I have ever seen a house in Dublin surrounded by 10ft falls, guards, CCTV and barbed wire - in some cities that is common and wholescale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The afters is taking place in my old local right now.

I would not be hanging around to finish my pint if they all just came in.
    I wouldn't care how many gardai were with them.

The afters is taking place in my old local right now.

I would not be hanging around to finish my pint if they all just came in.
    I wouldn't care how many gardai were with them.

This.

None of what has happened makes the slightest bit of difference to me and my every day life, but I wouldn't want to be sitting with them, on the off chance. Anywhere else in the city tonight is going to be as safe as it ever was, though. The media are great at fake shock and sorrow, but they love a great tragedy. (I spent the night of the Paris attacks watching Sky News and roaring at the telly for this very behaviour.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No, I would think I feel a little safer in Dublin city centre, it is a bit better than it was a couple of years ago. However, I was in Dun Laoghaire a couple of weeks ago waiting on my own at the bus stop, it was close to the Pavillion theatre. There was two homeless* guys there and they gave me a good bit of hassle. It started with asking for change, I said I rarely have change because I use a leap card. They walked away at first and then came back, one of them urinated on the bus stop in front of me. I kept my mouth shut, but then there was a few sexual based comments etc, etc. I was afraid to go for my phone in case they grabbed so I turned and ran over to the next stop.

I never get anything like that in Dublin City Centre, I live near Dolphin's Barn for feck sake and no-one has ever even looked sideways at me! I was not impressed with the South County Dublin at all, but maybe it's because not that many get a bus into town at 10pm on Tuesday night. But I suppose my experience just proves a point that a lot of people are making about Dublin in general, Dun Laoighaire is a safe town, I just had an unlucky experience and it wouldn't put me off returning to it soon.

*That's an assumption based on their dialect and sleeping bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Lux23 wrote: »
    No, I would think I feel a little safer in Dublin city centre, it is a bit better than it was a couple of years ago. However, I was in Dun Laoghaire a couple of weeks ago waiting on my own at the bus stop, it was close to the Pavillion theatre. There was two homeless* guys there and they gave me a good bit of hassle. It started with asking for change, I said I rarely have change because I use a leap card. They walked away at first and then came back, one of them urinated on the bus stop in front of me. I kept my mouth shut, but then there was a few sexual based comments etc, etc. I was afraid to go for my phone in case they grabbed so I turned and ran over to the next stop.

I never get anything like that in Dublin City Centre, I live near Dolphin's Barn for feck sake and no-one has ever even looked sideways at me! I was not impressed with the South County Dublin at all, but maybe it's because not that many get a bus into town at 10pm on Tuesday night. But I suppose my experience just proves a point that a lot of people are making about Dublin in general, Dun Laoighaire is a safe town, I just had an unlucky experience and it wouldn't put me off returning to it soon.

You get that in the city centre and all! There was a guy a few weeks ago standing beside the ticket machine in Busáras, who apparently felt that I was a "príck" and a "****ér" for not giving him my change.

Just before Christmas I was walking to the Dublin Bus stop at the Phoenix Park and a couple of guys came up to me asking for change. Same as you, I told them I had no change and only use a leap card. I was holding the leap card in my hand at the time so kind of held it up to show them. Next of all, one of the guys grabs my wrist, and tells me to hand over the leap card.

Overall I still feel safe in the city, I'm more than capable of handling myself. Then again, other people aren't so I kind of understand if they disagree with me re safety in the city. Being honest, teenage gangs and drug users are more of a threat to people than organised crime gangs.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be judging South County Dublin by Dun Laoghaire. It's always been a bit rough round there. More so that the city centre in my experience.

I wouldn't be judging South County Dublin by Dun Laoghaire. It's always been a bit rough round there. More so that the city centre in my experience.

Really? I find that hard to believe. But then again if I was homeless, it would be the posher neighbourhoods that I would frequent. More rich people and less competition.

Really? I find that hard to believe. But then again if I was homeless, it would be the posher neighbourhoods that I would frequent. More rich people and less competition.

Dun Laoghaire isn't posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Interesting article today putting Dublin's drug and homeless problem in perspective (or a glimpse of what we might expect in the future ) :

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/17/san-francisco-tech-open-letter-i-dont-want-to-see-homeless-riff-raff

I live in Dolphin's Barn, it's fairly posh to me now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I live in Dolphin's Barn, it's fairly posh to me now!

Darndale probably looks pretty up market to you then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bit of a sweeping generalisation. The town centre certainly isn't but Dun Laoghaire is a large borough with some extremely affluent areas.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Bit of a sweeping generalisation. The town centre certainly isn't but Dun Laoghaire is a large borough with some extremely affluent areas.

Bit sweeping to say it is posh, then, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dun Laoghaire borough also has a number of areas with many social issues - I certainly don't think one could say that one trumps the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My relatives come from Birmingham. That entire city is rough. Once it gets dark, you will not see a person on the streets. Not one. They all choose to drive after dark as there is only trouble lurking in the darkness. It's the same for the whole city. Dublin is comparatively safe. Nonetheless, I did learn martial arts when I was younger and if I got approached in the city there would be hell to pay. I won't stop until the assailant is injured enough that there's no chance of him running back after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

Elemonator wrote: »
    My relatives come from Birmingham. That entire city is rough. Once it gets dark, you will not see a person on the streets. Not one. They all choose to drive after dark as there is only trouble lurking in the darkness. It's the same for the whole city. Dublin is comparatively safe. Nonetheless, I did learn martial arts when I was younger and if I got approached in the city there would be hell to pay. I won't stop until the assailant is injured enough that there's no chance of him running back after me.

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

My relatives come from Birmingham. That entire city is rough. Once it gets dark, you will not see a person on the streets. Not one.

Ah now! Have you ever even been to Birmingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

In fairness I heard, from a fair and balanced news source, that Birmingham is a no go area for emergency services and that it was under de facto sharia law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Nonetheless, I did learn martial arts when I was younger and if I got approached in the city there would be hell to pay. I won't stop until the assailant is injured enough that there's no chance of him running back after me.

OMG it's Gareth from The Office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I feel pretty much as safe as I ever have. The only thing that slightly alarmed me was the presence of heavily armed Gardai on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

LOL @ the comments on Brum. The only thing that would worry me is the damage done to my pride if I was beaten up by someone with that stupid of an accent.

I frequently go out in Birmingham, I've never felt unsafe, well there was this one girl... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As someone who comes from a rural town down the country I must say that I feel alot safer in Dublin than I do down the country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah now! Have you ever even been to Birmingham?

Very often. My reference was to the suburbs and area outside the city centre. In the CC you would see people. Anytime I am in London and mention the Birmingham connection, the reaction is priceless :D

Augme wrote: »
    3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

I think it is a sensible approach.

Very often. My reference was to the suburbs and area outside the city centre. In the CC you would see people. Anytime I am in London and mention the Birmingham connection, the reaction is priceless :D

Agreed that some of the suburbs can be rough, far rougher than we see in Dublin. I stayed with a friend many years ago in an area that made Chatsworth look like Castleknock. But sensationalist, exaggerated statements like "there's no one on the streets!" isn't going to wash, you know.

Agreed that some of the suburbs can be rough, far rougher than we see in Dublin. I stayed with a friend many years ago in an area that made Chatsworth look like Castleknock. But sensationalist, exaggerated statements like "there's no one on the streets!" isn't going to wash, you know.

Honestly. The area I go to is called Stirchley (I think that is how you spell it). I remember seeing nobody walking the streets walking down to the Co-op one night, not one. I commented on it when I got back to my grand-aunt's house, and she's Irish, that nobody walks the streets at night in Birmingham. They all choose to drive, even if they are going out for dinner. She remarked that the society is different, its rougher, and completely different to Ireland.

Based on what I observed there and in Manchester, coupled with what she said, I believe it to be true.

Honestly. The area I go to is called Stirchley (I think that is how you spell it). I remember seeing nobody walking the streets walking down to the Co-op one night, not one. I commented on it when I got back to my grand-aunt's house, and she's Irish, that nobody walks the streets at night in Birmingham. They all choose to drive, even if they are going out for dinner. She remarked that the society is different, its rougher, and completely different to Ireland.

Based on what I observed there and in Manchester, coupled with what she said, I believe it to be true.

It's an anecdote, they aren't the same as facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've lived in Dublin since the early 80s and I do feel a little bit more wary in town these days, mostly I think down to a few factors: (A)I don't socialize as much there now. (B)I'm a bit older now so wouldn't be as gung-ho about trying to defend myself against younger lads these days (C) I think there is definitely a slightly more visible concentration of the kind of street life mentioned earlier, especially around places like the Luas and boardwalk, for example.

But it's a big jump from all that to saying it's a dangerous city which I don't feel is the case.

Dun Laoghaire has a big mix of affluent and working class surrounding areas. I don't think it's that rough at all but the perception comes from it being like places like Rathmines, Tallaght or Swords: busy enough, central, town-like areas where people come in from surrounding areas to socialize, hence the slighter higher chance of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do you not think at the same time, that young fellas are looking for scraps with young fellas, so in a way, you're kind of off their radars when it comes to aggression?

• Advertisement
Advertisement