Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turned on new build for first time + windows 10

Options
  • 12-02-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I have a core i5 4590 with ASRock H97M Pro4 mobo - when I turn it on I get an option to enter bios or continue - when I press continue "Windows 10" appers on screen and then it offers recovery or repair. I bought Windows 8.1 before I started the build.

Any idea if I can just go ahead and install Windows 8.1 or do I need to buy Windows 10?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can use your Windows 8.1 key to do a fresh install of Windows 10. You do not need to install W8.1 and then W10 "on top".
    Just done the above a few times since XMas on family builds.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Thanks Slave1 - I had no idea that I could do that - I have windows 8.1 professional - I couldn't find a professional option when using media creation tool - it just had the following 3 options:
    1. Windows 10
    2. Windows 10N
    3 Windows 10KN

I choose to download the first option as an iso and am burning it to dvd now - I hope its the professional version - any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Slave 1 - you are a genius - I used my 8.1 code and it worked perfectly - thank you so much!

Advertisement