Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland Top Up

Options
  • 12-02-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ok, this is the biggest rip off I encountered for years.
    With Three when you top up 20EUR, you get All you can eat Data.
    But they don't remind you to top up. So today I woke up with 24EUR on my account, and now I have 0EUR. I used 24MB of data, because they charge 1EUR for 1MB. I listened to 3 songs from Spotify only to find out that I have to more credit on my mobile. 2 hours later I received 2 text messages. Both came at the same time. One said that I used 5.70EUR on internet services, the other said I used 15.07EUR on internet services.
    So good bye to Three - I hope you will choke on that 24EUR from me. Changing to another network today, taking my number with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your new network won't operate differently.

Operating within published terms that you accepted is not a ripoff.

They aren't going to miss a €240 revenue user that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

The difference is that I'm going to a network operator that will send me reminder to top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I had the same. I was on Voda and got reminder texts. I ported to 3 and nope, no text, credit gone. So when a Voda rep rang and offered me a hape of credit to go back I jumped on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I suppose setting up a reminder on your phone is out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I suppose setting up a reminder on your phone is out of the question?

Smartphones have reminders? When did this happen? Somebody tell the papers quick.

I've got a 29day reminder setup, spend the excess credit on the play store or gaming content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can set it up to top up automatically every 30 days. Its annoying sure if you're used to what other networks did, but for all you can eat its not been beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ED E wrote: »
    Smartphones have reminders? When did this happen? Somebody tell the papers quick.

I've got a 29day reminder setup, spend the excess credit on the play store or gaming content.

It's amazing what adversity one can overcome when their backs are against the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭2time

is it really all you can eat data with three though or does it have a limit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2time wrote: »

I imagine a fair use policy comes into play in that it's all you can eat, unless your taking the p!ss. Tethering isn't allowed either, well it's allowed but it's charged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Weepsie wrote: »
    I imagine a fair use policy comes into play in that it's all you can eat, unless your taking the p!ss. Tethering isn't allowed either, well it's allowed but it's charged

There's plenty using it to download way more than any FUP without a problem. Don't know about tethering, but plenty are putting the SIM into dongles/modems and using it that way without being charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think tethering is only an issue on O2 issued sims.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

L1011 wrote: »
    Your new network won't operate differently.

Operating within published terms that you accepted is not a ripoff.

They aren't going to miss a €240 revenue user that much.

I think most, if not all the operators send text warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

It's 60GB.

I just spent a bunch of time making a table of the major players' prepay phone plans with the real numbers hidden behind the word "unlimited" in each case (as best I could find them). Just wondering whether it'd better suit Living Frugally, Consumer Issues, Rip Off Ireland, or some other thread. It'll save others digging through all the T's & C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Qreq wrote: »
    It's 60GB.

I just spent a bunch of time making a table of the major players' prepay phone plans with the real numbers hidden behind the word "unlimited" in each case (as best I could find them). Just wondering whether it'd better suit Living Frugally, Consumer Issues, Rip Off Ireland, or some other thread. It'll save others digging through all the T's & C's.

Did you miss the bit where I said this? :rolleyes:
    There's plenty using it to download way more than any FUP without a problem. Don't know about tethering, but plenty are putting the SIM into dongles/modems and using it that way without being charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Qreq wrote: »

Its not enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Fair enough. Long may it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Circa 3,000,000 gb of data, fair usage policy in theory but it's unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

I got one of these PAYG sim cards last year with unlimited data for 20 per month. It includes unlimited tethering so I permanently link it to my iPad EVEN WHEN IN OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES! I am currently in Spain using it.
    I also have a similar 3UK sim card on contract in the UK in an iphone. Although this allows data use in Europe, it does not allow tethering in Europe but does allow limited tethering in the UK.
    With a VPN I can stream live UK tv and with a Skygo link to my Ipad from my daughter's Sky contract, I can watch Sky Sports.
    So with two phones and an ipad, for 25 pm contract in the UK and 20 top up pm I can travel europe with unlimited calls on an irish number and a UK number and data on phones and ipad! Job done!

Advertisement