Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card without the minimum time to be employed

• 12-02-2016 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

The last time I checked for a credit card I was told that I would have to be in work for a meeting minimum amount of time. I don't remember if it was around 9 months or if I have to be permanent.

But is there any credit card company that will give me a credit card now that im in employment.

I would be using it for car rental, so i would really like to get one.

Other wise I could use my debit car to get a car rental but they ask for bank statements, and a bill in your name. I don't have a bill because they are all in my housemates names. So I think a credit card would be easier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally, you need to be in full-time, permanent employment (i.e. not on probation). If you've just got a job, it's unlikely someone is going to shove a card at you just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Thanks for that. I guess I need a cheap bill of some sorts. But then I'm signing up for something I don't need.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What about mobile phone? Could you switch to one of those 30 day sim only contracts or something? Or find a price plan cheaper than what you spend on pay-as-you-go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When I arrived in Ireland and started working (six month fixed term contract), I got a CC from AIB very quickly. Low-enough credit limit, buy ddin't ask to see employment contracts or the like.

OP, have you asked the bank you are banking with?

When I arrived in Ireland and started working (six month fixed term contract), I got a CC from AIB very quickly. Low-enough credit limit, buy ddin't ask to see employment contracts or the like.

OP, have you asked the bank you are banking with?

I did ask AIB and they wouldn't even look at me and told me I needed to be in a permanent position.

I think i will look into a mobile phone contract or something like the likes. Its a bill and I have bank statements and payslips and thats all the car rentals are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

We are not like the US, where anyone can get a subprime credit card with like 35-40% interest. It is quite difficult to get a credit or any unsecured credit here at the moment. The easiest thing to do would have been to get a line of credit in college and build up a credit rating.

Have you any former loans or CCs? If not, then apply for a ton of these

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-credit-cards/your-results/

If you have had a loan in the last 5 years be selective, as an institution checking your credit rating. Lowers your rating for a bit

I have had loans over 10 years ago. Also had a credit card but paid off and cancelled, six or seven years ago. So I can live without one but I didn't know at time of cancelling that it does have advantages like car rentals and hotels.

Like I wouldn't be renting a car or pay for hotels unless I can pay for it. I make sure I have the funds to do something in advance.

Advertisement