Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB waiting times...

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

percy212 wrote: »
    I already explained its overpriced based on current listings for the locale. I am not in Dublin as I said. Its a small locale. I understand all landlords want me to be wrong but I am correct in this case.

Also - If by some chance the owner tries an even bigger hike I will open a new case, and sue in civil court for retaliation.

As I said, that is not evidence. You must produce evidence and the landlord to win must rebut your evidence. There is no cause of action in a civil court known as or cognate to retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

4ensic15 wrote: »
    As I said, that is not evidence. You must produce evidence and the landlord to win must rebut your evidence. There is no cause of action in a civil court known as or cognate to retaliation.

I am sure I can find some legal mechanism to serve my purposes.

If listings of current houses for rent along with the PTRB's own data is not evidence then what is...You are being willfully obtuse.

I am sure I can find some legal mechanism to serve my purposes.

If listings of current houses for rent along with the PTRB's own data is not evidence then what is...You are being willfully obtuse.

The problem is it needs to be equivalent properties.

No good saying the house each side of your is the same 3 bed house getting 1000 per month in rent and using it as evidence when the houses next door were last decorated in the 80's, have poor insulation and storage heaters while your house has just been fully renovated, full new central heating system and insulation and is asking 1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

Thanks for this v useful info :) Can I ask if you attended the adjudication in person?

Yeah, it was me, the letting agent and the guy from the PRTB.

You all sit around a round table in a meeting room that looks just like a normal office, it doesn't look like a court room from TV.

The adjudication was not very formal. The adjudicator was wearing a shirt and jumper. More like a business meeting.

The PRTB guy had gone through the evidence beforehand and to start he will ask you to give your side of the story.
    Make sure to have notes with you so you remember everything you want to say.

He might ask you a few questions and then the other side get to ask questions on what you have said.

Then the landlord will give his side, go through the evidence they have submitted etc
    The PRTB guy might ask a few questions. You will then be given a chance to ask the landlord questions about their evidence etc

My adjudication was over in about 15-20 minutes.

You will get details in the post from the PRTB beforehand which contains the procedures and all evidence submitted by you and landlord. It explains everything.

If you decide to appeal the tribunal is longer, more formal and in depth.

It can be nerve racking beforehand but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. I won't be nervous. I am very familiar with administrative type hearings from a former career :) I will have all my notes in order as you advise! I am looking forward to it if I am honest. I am very curious about the process.
    Rodgeb wrote: »
    Yeah, it was me, the letting agent and the guy from the PRTB.

You all sit around a round table in a meeting room that looks just like a normal office, it doesn't look like a court room from TV.

The adjudication was not very formal. The adjudicator was wearing a shirt and jumper. More like a business meeting.

The PRTB guy had gone through the evidence beforehand and to start he will ask you to give your side of the story.
    Make sure to have notes with you so you remember everything you want to say.

He might ask you a few questions and then the other side get to ask questions on what you have said.

Then the landlord will give his side, go through the evidence they have submitted etc
    The PRTB guy might ask a few questions. You will then be given a chance to ask the landlord questions about their evidence etc

My adjudication was over in about 15-20 minutes.

You will get details in the post from the PRTB beforehand which contains the procedures and all evidence submitted by you and landlord. It explains everything.

If you decide to appeal the tribunal is longer, more formal and in depth.

It can be nerve racking beforehand but worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement