Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conjunctivitis from vaping help

• 12-02-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Started vaping yesterday morning and quit smoking. Overnight I developed a swollen pink eyelid and got ointment from the chemist to use on it. It's itchy but not sore just swollen and pink. I googled conjunctivitis and vaping and apparantly it can happen due to irritation caused from propylene glycol. I don't want to stop vaping. Don't know what to do. Don't want to ever smoke again I'm doing great on the vape. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I know this may sound stupid but what if I close my eyes when I exhale it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

What juice brand are you using? Some have a lot more PG than others. The liquid is a mix of PG & VG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

EGriff wrote: »
    What juice brand are you using? Some have a lot more PG than others. The liquid is a mix of PG & VG.

Dekang liquid
    Virginia Tabacco 10 ML E LIQUID RICHMOND BLEND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Dekang juices are very high in PG. You maybe need to start looking at high VG juices, or even Max VG if you have a PG allergy. Most sites give the PG/VG ratio for all juices,or at least they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Some Dekang liquid can be as high as 75% pg which is going to be problematic for you if it's a pg reaction thats causing your problem and pg reactions are very common so your not alone.
    Only solution is to get a juice with a higher vg ratio and see does your reaction stop, reactions can also include dry skin, mouth and lip sores.
    Don't give up the vaping though as it's really only about getting a juice that suits you.

Okay just that I read the vg isn't as strong with the throat hit :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

lukesmom wrote:
    Okay just that I read the vg isn't as strong with the throat hit

Higher vg will give you a smoother vape but a high nic content in vg will also give you a good throat hit, If I remember correctly your using 18mg nic? which will still give you the throat hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Before getting too concerned about the PG contains of your e-liquid wait for the inflammation to pass. Be extra vigilant about rubbing your face/eyes with your hands in case your transferring a small amount to your eye.

PG is involved with throat hit but really most of the throat hit effect is from the nicotine. If you do have to avoid PG based liquids or at least much reduced PG then using a menthol liquid and some other flavours will help.

jno547 wrote: »
    Higher vg will give you a smoother vape but a high nic content in vg will also give you a good throat hit, If I remember correctly your using 18mg nic? which will still give you the throat hit.

24mg

8mm wrote: »
    Before getting too concerned about the PG contains of your e-liquid wait for the inflammation to pass. Be extra vigilant about rubbing your face/eyes with your hands in case your transferring a small amount to your eye.

PG is involved with throat hit but really most of the throat hit effect is from the nicotine. If you do have to avoid PG based liquids or at least much reduced PG then using a menthol liquid and some other flavours will help.

Exactly I'm going to let the inflammation pass. I got some liquid on my finger when I was refilling so I may have rubbed my eye and that's how it probably happened. Anyway on day 3 and I'm flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Of course look after the eye first :D But ... if it is connected to the PG, then it's also wise to avoid it where possible. There's tonnes of high VG juices out there, it doesn't have to be pricey stuff either. You'll jut have to do some research to find something to suit you. But in general, the cheap lines are high PG for whatever reason. Like Dekang, Hangsen, Wicked, Liqua ... we all started on them. I used to vape Dekang menthol when I started, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement