Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unstable connection at peak hours

Options
  • 12-02-2016 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

This was fine for around a year when Eircom last fixed the last nationwide congestion problem. It's started happening on my line again, I don't know if it's local.

Basically the connection is fine until 6pm then from 6-12 it's unstable. I'm on NGB adsl2+ which is meant to be uncongested.

I've done the usual tests, direct line into the port, wireless turned off using ethernet cable etc. 

I hope this can be resolved as I was very happy with the connection over the past 11 months. I don't want to be a pain in the arse but there's not much I can do when I'm paying for something that I'm not getting and the problem is on your side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

This was fine for around a year when Eircom last fixed the last nationwide congestion problem. It's started happening on my line again, I don't know if it's local.

Basically the connection is fine until 6pm then from 6-12 it's unstable. I'm on NGB adsl2+ which is meant to be uncongested.

I've done the usual tests, direct line into the port, wireless turned off using ethernet cable etc. 

I hope this can be resolved as I was very happy with the connection over the past 11 months. I don't want to be a pain in the arse but there's not much I can do when I'm paying for something that I'm not getting and the problem is on your side.
    Hi Hank Scorpio

Please feel free to drop me a PM including your land line number and I'll look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sending this now.

Sending this now.
    Hi Hank Scorpio

I'm sorry to say that the tests I have run do not show any contributing factor to the issues you're experiencing. I have request our field networks team to look in to this further however it could take a couple of days before I have more news. If in the meantime you would like to contact eir technical support you can reach them on 1890260260

Thanks
    Al

I`ll give them a ring Monday.

I`ll give them a ring Monday.
    Cheers Hank Scorpio

Al

• Advertisement

Engineer called out earlier and said nothing was wrong after the guy on the phone said there was two major faults on the line. 

Connection is still unstable at peak hours 6-11.30 to the point streaming, skype and whatever else don't function as they should. 

NGB is meant to be guaranteed no congestion on the first hop  but below you can see it's unstable?

Tracing route to boards.ie [104.20.1.160]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    103 ms    129 ms    92 ms  b-ras2.dbn.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.5]

Not sure what my options are, this is highly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What exchange are you on Hank?

100ms to the RAS is excessive, but that's an encapsulated connection from your modem to dslam and dslam to ?Dolphins Barn?, slowness can come from either side but its likely within their network.

Sending a tech was just a monkey following procedure, have the reps send this to networks (emailing them traces of peak vs off peak can't hurt).

Ya, Bennettsbridge exchange, been down this road many times with them unfortunately.. 

Cost me money tonight playing a ESL tournament

Open Eir have it down as not NGN.

Bennettsbridge
    • [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]X Ethernet (WEIL)[/font]

• [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]X Ethernet (WEIL_local)[/font]

• [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]X Ethernet (WSEA)[/font]

• [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]X Reach Nodes (WSEA)[/font]

• [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]APT Reach Nodes (WSEA)[/font]

• [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]X Broadband (BMB)[/font]
    [*]

Subtended exchanges are just trouble. "APT Nodes where the limit is 300 Mb/s." So AT MOST you have an STM300 link for you and the rest of the town. Sometimes its only a 12Mb. So thats 300Mb between at least 700 people (according to wiki)...you do the math. 

Thanks for the info, yeah it's not good enough at this stage. Tbh the only time it's worked as it should in the past 4 years is the previous 10 months before this started happening. I'm nearly sure I read that NGB ( adsl2+ ) connections should have guaranteed no congestion on the first hop

• Advertisement

Its 2+ but not NGN/NGB. Need a fixed line link to core to be uncontended. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi  Hank Scorpio,

I'm afraid Al is no longer with us any more. Please feel free to PM me your account details if there is anything I can assist you with.

Pamela 

Sent you a pm.

Thanks Hank Scorpio,

I'm going through my Pm's and I will be back to you as soon as I get to yours.

Pamela 

Getting worse.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5157314889

I'm synced at 20Mb and get full speed at non peak hours.

Anything? It's kind of unfair to pay 60e a month for this when it's meant to have no congestion on the first hop. 6-12 It's unusable for my needs

Anything? It's kind of unfair to pay 60e a month for this when it's meant to have no congestion on the first hop. 6-12 It's unusable for my needs
    Hi Hank Scorpio,
    I have replied to your PM, I have checked my inbox and I don't seem to have received a message back.

Pamela 

When I entered this contract it was advertised as uncongested, two engineers later and still the same crack.

Pinging google.ie [216.58.211.163] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=56

Irish match won't stream. Not good enough at all lads.

When I entered this contract it was advertised as uncongested, two engineers later and still the same crack.

Pinging google.ie [216.58.211.163] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=56
    Reply from 216.58.211.163: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=56

Irish match won't stream. Not good enough at all lads.
    Hi  Hank Scorpio,

I have checked your account and can see there is an open fault case, the fault is logged as a ac/dc voltage fault. 
    Once it is resolved you will be notified.

Pamela 

I doubt that fault is mysteriously causing my connection to be unstable from 6-12 every night.

• Advertisement

I doubt that fault is mysteriously causing my connection to be unstable from 6-12 every night.
    I'm really sorry to hear you are still experiencing difficulties with your connection Hank ScorpioI understand this must be quite frustrating.

I'll query this with technical support again & get back to you on this.

Pamela 

Still the same. Bill arrives on time though no problem. 

I signed up for uncongested broadband and it's not. I kept my side of the agreement, you didn't. Why should I pay the bill?

Its NOT uncongested. That product isn't available at that exchange. Dunno why you're still barking up that tree.

Either:
    A. you were mis sold, get the account canceled
    B. grin and bear it. You won't get a discount on an ongoing basis until whenever the exchange is upgraded

Still the same. Bill arrives on time though no problem. 

I signed up for uncongested broadband and it's not. I kept my side of the agreement, you didn't. Why should I pay the bill?
    All speeds are advertised, sold and provided on the terms of 'up to' Hank Scorpio as per terms and conditions approved by the communications regulator. I understand your disappointment with this however a bill would not be waived on this basis. 

However if there is a fault affected your service which has been logged with the faults team our customer care team on 1901 would be more than happy to arrange a credit for the time you were without service.

-Pamela 

NGB was advertised as guaranteed no congestion on the  first hop, this is a oversubscribed exchange nothing more. My speeds are fine on non peak hours.

The first engineer who called took over a week to call out and when I called to see what was going  on I was told I would be credited money on the bill because he took over 4 days or whatever, but of course this was never applied.

Obviously I'm  going to pay the bill as I need some form of internet but  the problem is on your side, not mine.

NGB was advertised as guaranteed no congestion on the  first hop, this is a oversubscribed exchange nothing more. My speeds are fine on non peak hours.

The first engineer who called took over a week to call out and when I called to see what was going  on I was told I would be credited money on the bill because he took over 4 days or whatever, but of course this was never applied.

Obviously I'm  going to pay the bill as I need some form of internet but  the problem is on your side, not mine.
    I have checked your account and the technical support team have not confirmed congestion is the issue  Hank Scorpio.

Apologies, I will arrange this credit for you and it will appear on your next bill.

-Pamela 

Advertisement