Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Display on asus gtx 980ti.

Options
  • 12-02-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

OKay, here goes. Trying to install a new ASUS GTX 980 TI today after replacing my R9 290.
    Display is blank. Power is connected correctly. Asus strix light comes on . Fans blow for a couple of seconds then turn off.
    Psu is 600w.
    Cpu is Xeon 1231 v3
    MOBO is ASROCK h97 fatality.

Writing this now after reinstalling R9 290

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What cable type are you using to connect up?
    HDMI, DVI, Display Port....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

HDMI over a 1080p tv. Also using a corsair cx600 as a psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You deleted the amd drivers and that before installing the new nvidia gpu?

Use your mobo HDMI.

Deleted all drivers with ddu and am driver unistaller. Put in new card. Still black screen. Did all this before posting this question.

cursai wrote: »
    Deleted all drivers with ddu and am driver unistaller. Put in new card. Still black screen. Did all this before posting this question.

Cool. I know your r9 is working with the TV but you need another display to test it's for sure a broken card and ideally test the othet ports. This could still be a GTX driver problem with the TV

• Advertisement

Mobo hdmi isn't working at the moment. Will need to update vga bios

Is there a problem with the psu I wonder. Is it not powerful enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Psu should be grand. Nvidea cards arent as hungry for power as amd cards. Any joy in getting a second monitor to check if the gpu will work at all. Or know anyone near that will let you pop the card into their system?

no joy in the second monitor til tomorrow. Got a new PSU and no joy.

no joy in the second monitor til tomorrow. Got a new PSU and no joy.

Let us know how you get on. Get working on your return process. I'm thinking bad port HDMI.

• Advertisement

oh my god. Did a LOT of googling. read something about pci3.0 slot on h97. Turms out if i use the higher pcie slot it uses pcie 2.0 which ive always used for my AMD R9 290. I took one last go at it before i did the amazon return function.
    The bottom slot is the pcie 3.0 slot which the gtx ti HAS to be in.
    It was a very tight squeeze and very close to the PSU fan. Had to take out 2 drive bays to get the arse of it in.

oh my god. Did a LOT of googling. read something about pci3.0 slot on h97. Turms out if i use the higher pcie slot it uses pcie 2.0 which ive always used for my AMD R9 290. I took one last go at it before i did the amazon return function.
    The bottom slot is the pcie 3.0 slot which the gtx ti HAS to be in.
    It was a very tight squeeze and very close to the PSU fan. Had to take out 2 drive bays to get the arse of it in.

So it is working now. Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I thought pci was all backwards compatible? Like you could put a new card in an old 2.0 slot and it'd work fine, with any loss of performance being negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Rob2D wrote: »
    I thought pci was all backwards compatible? Like you could put a new card in an old 2.0 slot and it'd work fine, with any loss of performance being negligible.

I thought so too. Must be some kind of BIOS issue. In any case, OP seems to have sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Download GPU-z, run it and confirm that the Bus Interface says "PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 3.0" which shows that the card is capable of pcie 3.0 x16 and is running at that speed too.

Hit the question mark to the right of the reading and click render to make sure the value is correct.

It's a bit unusual for the bottom slot to be the best slot so it's worth checking.

Download GPU-z, run it and confirm that the Bus Interface says "PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 3.0" which shows that the card is capable of pcie 3.0 x16 and is running at that speed too.

Hit the question mark to the right of the reading and click render to make sure the value is correct.

It's a bit unusual for the bottom slot to be the best slot so it's worth checking.

Bus interface says: PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ x4 2.0........im really confused.
    2016-02-16 22_52_54-Render Test.png

ill have to take some actual photos of the slot its installed in.

No, in GPU-Z click on the blue question mark to find out what PCI-E interface the graphics card is connected to.

No, in GPU-Z click on the blue question mark to find out what PCI-E interface the graphics card is connected to.

it runs for a while, i thought it was infinite. ill let it run so. heres the mobo. GPU is on the bottom red slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I have my MSI 980Ti in a PCIE2.0 slot and have 0 issues, it should work in either, have you tried updating your mobo Bios? Although if the and card works, very strange

Still running....

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I have my MSI 980Ti in a PCIE2.0 slot and have 0 issues, it should work in either, have you tried updating your mobo Bios? Although if the and card works, very strange

i have. its at the latest bios.
    C:\Users\Hugh>wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
    SMBIOSBIOSVersion
    P2.40

Still running....
    Should say x16 2.0 you sure your mobo doesn't have different lane configs per PCIE slot?
    Do you have anything else installed in a PCIE slot?

Should say x16 2.0 you sure your mobo doesn't have different lane configs per PCIE slot?
    Do you have anything else installed in a PCIE slot?

Your past my technical limits there. But theres nothing in the other slots. never has been.

Pic of my installation.
    Cable ties to hold the arse up.......

Your past my technical limits there. But theres nothing in the other slots. never has been.
    Basically the mobo has a fixed number of lanes if you occupy more than 1 PCIE slot it can run the other slots slower.
    The documentation for your mobo says that if PCIE1 or PCIE3 are occupied then PCIE2 slot( the PCIE 2.0 slot ) will run at x4

Basically the mobo has a fixed number of lanes if you occupy more than 1 PCIE slot it can run the other slots slower.
    The documentation for your mobo says that if PCIE1 or PCIE3 are occupied then PCIE2 slot( the PCIE 2.0 slot ) will run at x4

Think i understand. Theres nothing in the other slots.

Did you look at settings in the bios?

• Advertisement

Did you look at settings in the bios?

Dont get me started on the bios. Ie never spent so much time looking at something so simple. It basically gives me a choice for the pci or the pci-e

Advertisement