Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Display on asus gtx 980ti.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

it works......although it shows no display and then pops straight into the windows login screen bypassing the bios splash screen for some reason.

works on latest nvidia graphics driver. still skipping bios though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nice one, well at least it works to some extent, ( man you have the weirdest issues lol ). Not showing the bios screen is weird, i would guess that issue is with the monitor because for the POST screen the gpu is in basic VGA mode thats existed since the dawn of time

lmimmfn wrote: »
    nice one, well at least it works to some extent, ( man you have the weirdest issues lol ). Not showing the bios screen is weird, i would guess that issue is with the monitor because for the POST screen the gpu is in basic VGA mode thats existed since the dawn of time

Ha! Thanks for all the help. Im sure i can iron out all the other issues over time. At least its working now, how? im not sure... And the overclock is good on it. Not too sure the upgrade from the r9 290 was worth it though going by the framerates im geting in the Division. Thinking back AMD have way better value in their hardware.

I have an R9 290 for sale now as well i supose. Ill give you a special rate lmimmfn for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're not seeing any framerate difference between a 290 and a 980Ti there is something else at play, be it a CPU bottleneck within a specific game, or whatever. I have a 980Ti and have owned a 290 and 390X and the difference is pretty massive playing at 1440p. Varies from 30-90% faster depending.

If you're not seeing any framerate difference between a 290 and a 980Ti there is something else at play, be it a CPU bottleneck within a specific game, or whatever. I have a 980Ti and have owned a 290 and 390X and the difference is pretty massive playing at 1440p. Varies from 30-90% faster depending.

Well no the difference is there but the value for the money eats away at that. Its just that the AMD gave a lot more value for the money.

Im sure my cpu and mobo are holding it back in some way. Have yet to see the cpu reach over 85% usage on any game though.

Also i think playing at 1440p is where these cards show their particular strengths, im only at 1080p at the moment.

• Advertisement

Realistically a 980Ti at 1080p is flushing your wallet contents down the john. There will be no real difference between it and a 290 but that's nothing to do with value for money, it's just massive overkill unless you let the card stretch its legs. It's like having a greyhound and a Jack Russell both on a leash and being disappointed with the greyhounds speed.

Broadly speaking, AMD aren't really better value for money unless you factor in the higher vram on certain models for specific uses. There aren't any real clear winners, just preferences.

Ah I'm sure there's SOME difference. Got it it discounted in a warehouse deal anyho! I'll eventually upgrade to higher res.

Is this a bottleneck on the cpu or a case of bad optimisation.

Hard to see the figures but it looks like that says your CPU is 100c? :eek:

It's probably downclocking to avoid shut-down, your CPU cooler may not be correctly installed.

It clearly shows that the 980Ti is only being 40-50% used, whereas CPU is hitting 80-100%.

Hard to see the figures but it looks like that says your CPU is 100c? :eek:

It's probably downclocking to avoid shut-down, your CPU cooler may not be correctly installed.

It clearly shows that the 980Ti is only being 40-50% used, whereas CPU is hitting 80-100%.

HAHa i was ****ting it for a second too but its not hitting that high. only showing 35c +/- in afterburner and task manager.
    just concerned though thats it may be holding the GPU. Any suggestions for a better gpu? i75820k?? Have a Xeon 1231 v3 at the mo.

• Advertisement

Xeon is fine, it's a high end CPU. Not sure how well or badly optimized The Division is but this is an example of why a 980Ti is a waste at 1080p, it's only being less than 50% utilized. If you were playing at 1440p or 4K that would jump right up. You need a higher resolution monitor, not a new CPU.

Xeon is fine, it's a high end CPU. Not sure how well or badly optimized The Division is but this is an example of why a 980Ti is a waste at 1080p, it's only being less than 50% utilized. If you were playing at 1440p or 4K that would jump right up. You need a higher resolution monitor, not a new CPU.

Resolution might jump up but fps would go down too I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What software are you using to display in game CPU+GPU usage?

cursai wrote: »
    Resolution might jump up but fps would go down too I would have thought.

FPS will only go down when the 980Ti is pushing 99% utilisation. For me this, for example, is playing Fallout 4 or Battlefront at Ultra at 4K. If I play either game at 1080P, the 980Ti is only being used about 50%.

Until you get a new monitor your 980Ti will continue to only use about half of its available power.

superg wrote: »
    What software are you using to display in game CPU+GPU usage?

Afterburner and riva tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nice, glad you got this sorted, I just happened on your thread by accident. The correct slot should make a difference in a card like that.

The 980ti is perhaps a wee bit of overkill but if you decide to go for VR headset then you'll be in a good position, not sure about the CPU though

Now that ive got it working and the cpu fixed, see stroke of idiocy. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98826719#post98826719. i can unequivocally say this card is madness!!!!!! The fps are crazy stupid.

Advertisement