Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding dog sardines

• 12-02-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I started feeding Leo two sardines a day one with each meal I mix it up with his kibble. I started this because he's become bored with his food (Markus Mühle NaturNah).

I've reduced his kibble by about 50g as well. He's about 25kg.

Is two sardines a day ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd say 2 tins a day could end up playing havoc with his arse.

We give ours 2 tins with dry food once, maybe twice a week at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sardines are really good for dogs so thats fine. My dogs get a tin each a few times a week, they love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When I have them I feed a few sprat every day and no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd say 2 tins a day could end up playing havoc with his arse.

We give ours 2 tins with dry food once, maybe twice a week at most

didnt the OP say TWO sardines a day, not two TINS??

OP, How big/weight is Leo?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

aonb wrote: »

Sorry, yes, my mistake

I know my back garden would be a MESS if i gave mine 2 tins a day :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I feed my dogs sardines two to three times a week, sometimes on consecutive days. The Cavaliers (about 8kg each) get half a tin each per meal and the Ridgebacks (one is about 35kg, the other 40kg) get a tin per meal.

In my experience the only 'side effect' of feeding sardines daily is their coats get super soft and shiny. No issues with their bowels.

They also get salmon oil and salmon treats on occasion. They love their fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

aonb wrote: »

He's a Dalmatian/Cocker Spaniel cross. The Cocker part didn't get much of a look in though. He's 10 months and a bout the size of a female Lab but built like a Dalmatian. He's about 25Kg. My vet said he's the ideal weight for his size.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Sorry, yes, my mistake

I know my back garden would be a MESS if i gave mine 2 tins a day :pac::pac:
    Haha :P

His poops aren't too bad. He's a sensitive gut but the two sardines a day haven't affected him adversely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Once or twice a week I'd say would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I've seen the downside of sardines firsthand, the kitchen was covered in it first thing when I got in from work and again first thing the following morning.

I wasn't even feeding him that much, about one sardine with a bowl of food twice a day.

It was everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I've seen the downside of sardines firsthand, the kitchen was covered in it first thing when I got in from work and again first thing the following morning.

I wasn't even feeding him that much, about one sardine with a bowl of food twice a day.

It was everywhere.

Sounds nasty :eek:

Leo's been doing well with two sardines a day mixed with his food for the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dogs are small and they get a full tin each for one meal and it has never made any difference to their toilet business. If it has a worming tablet hidden in it though that's a completely different story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm going to be putting Finn on a sardine or two a day so I'll watch out for rear-end explosions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I had a little guy for the day a while back - pug cross. His owner was delayed, so I had to come up with an emergency dinner, and having no dog food at all in the house, I cooked some rice, and mixed in a couple of sardines. He absolutely loved that, and no ill effects, I gather.

kylith wrote: »
    I'm going to be putting Finn on a sardine or two a day so I'll watch out for rear-end explosions.

So far the only effect has been the first clean bowl since he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

kylith wrote: »
    So far the only effect has been the first clean bowl since he arrived.

Haha that's how it started for me.... give it time!! Hopefully it doesn't happen to you, i wouldn't wish it on anyone else!! Watch out for warning signs, e.g. looser than normal stools!

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Haha that's how it started for me.... give it time!! Hopefully it doesn't happen to you, i wouldn't wish it on anyone else!! Watch out for warning signs, e.g. looser than normal stools!

That can happen when you introduce any new food. Hopefully we'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I suspect (based on my experience with sardines and canned fish generally) that if you can find sardines packed in water rather than oil, the toilet issues will be much improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Post resurrection......

Where do you get sardines in water? I've tried a few shops but can only find them in sunflower oil, olive oil, brine and tomato. I don't mind giving the dog the ones in olive oil (I'll drain the oil) but would prefer plain water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Last time I saw them was in Tesco... I think :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Now that my dog is very old, I give her a single sardine in her food (she's a big collie), mashed in to disguise the taste of the Arthri-Aid Omega, which she doesn't like. Sometimes I give her more, but I'm cautious because of the salt, not good for dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

DBB wrote: »
    Last time I saw them was in Tesco... I think :o

Yeah I tried Tesco, M&S and Aldi yesterday. I'll try Tesco again maybe next week (they might have just been sold out), Dunnes, Spar and Lidl.

Gave him one in brine (rinsed in fresh water) yesterday and olive oil today and he monstered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

SachaJ wrote: »
    Yeah I tried Tesco, M&S and Aldi yesterday. I'll try Tesco again maybe next week (they might have just been sold out), Dunnes, Spar and Lidl.

Gave him one in brine (rinsed in fresh water) yesterday and olive oil today and he monstered them.

I always give the ones in tomato sauce, some people won't feed them as they've read that tomatoes are poisonous to dogs. The flesh of the tomato is absolutely fine, and contains a good antioxidant it is only the leaves and woody part of the plant that is dangerous to them.

Advertisement