Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken iPhone 6 screen

• 12-02-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi guys

So I've finally become one of those people with a smashed screen on my iPhone. I'm so annoyed, Otterbox and glass screen protector on it, grrrrrr

Anyway I need to get the screen replaced, and I want to get it done legitimately. I'm in Dublin, are compub and iconnect my only options? Is there an option to send it to apple themselves? Do compub have to send it away or can they do it in store? What kind of money am I looking at?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi guys

So I've finally become one of those people with a smashed screen on my iPhone. I'm so annoyed, Otterbox and glass screen protector on it, grrrrrr

Anyway I need to get the screen replaced, and I want to get it done legitimately. I'm in Dublin, are compub and iconnect my only options? Is there an option to send it to apple themselves? Do compub have to send it away or can they do it in store? What kind of money am I looking at?

Any help greatly appreciated!

€127. OEM replacement from Apple themselves. Assuming that's it's ONLY the screen that's dsmaged. If the case is too, then Apple will replace this also and the repair price trebles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Or take a trip to Apple in Belfast.

Zcott wrote: »
    Or take a trip to Apple in Belfast.
    Yep, an option that'll most likely be a 'there and then' repair. Poxy trip though. Apple Store in Dublin centre would do well me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

dodzy wrote: »
    Yep, an option that'll most likely be a 'there and then' repair. Poxy trip though. Apple Store in Dublin centre would do well me thinks.

Agreed, I don't have a car so Google maps is telling me 4 hours each way door to door to go to Belfast so that's a no! Called apple yesterday and they recommended using CompuB, €144, as they said its quicker than doing it through apple themselves. Still estimating 3 weeks for it to be done though so I need to try to borrow a phone for the meantime, which is really annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Agreed, I don't have a car so Google maps is telling me 4 hours each way door to door to go to Belfast so that's a no! Called apple yesterday and they recommended using CompuB, €144, as they said its quicker than doing it through apple themselves. Still estimating 3 weeks for it to be done though so I need to try to borrow a phone for the meantime, which is really annoying!

Three weeks! Apple will have it back to you within a week

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Three weeks! Apple will have it back to you within a week

When I rang them they said that they'd take longer than CompuB, plus they'd have to put a hold on my credit card for the amount of the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

If you're going to pay for it to be done legitimately, arrange it through Apple. They send you a box, then you organise the courier, they pick it up, job is done & they courier it back to you, between 5 & 7 days in past experience (not with iPhones).

Make sure you're all backed up, including photos etc & then turn off find my phone. They're most probably gonna just swap out the device for a new one - not sure why they don't just send you a new one to start with, but that's the way it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

If you're going to pay for it to be done legitimately, arrange it through Apple. They send you a box, then you organise the courier, they pick it up, job is done & they courier it back to you, between 5 & 7 days in past experience (not with iPhones).

Make sure you're all backed up, including photos etc & then turn off find my phone. They're most probably gonna just swap out the device for a new one - not sure why they don't just send you a new one to start with, but that's the way it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

When I rang them they said that they'd take longer than CompuB, plus they'd have to put a hold on my credit card for the amount of the phone

The hold on the card is usually for an express replacement.

I might try calling apple again, they definitely told me it would take longer than it would through compuB and that there would be a hold placed one my card (I only have a debit card and don't have funds for €700 to be temporarily taken).

• Advertisement

I might try calling apple again, they definitely told me it would take longer than it would through compuB and that there would be a hold placed one my card (I only have a debit card and don't have funds for €700 to be temporarily taken).

I don't understand the €700 in this instance. I'd ring Apple again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dodzy wrote: »
    I don't understand the €700 in this instance. I'd ring Apple again.

€700 does sound more like the cost of an express replacement. They send you out a replacement phone (to keep) you send the original one back. When they receive yours back the €700 is refunded and you just pay the repair fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

iConnect on Henry st are recognised by apple to do warranty repairs.

Jus to update, I used CompuB, phone handed in on a Tuesday and was given a replacement of an iPhone 5 for €29. Got a call the following day to confirm the cost and phone was sent off,exactly 2 weeks later got an email that it was ready to pick up. Total cost of €173.44 including borrowing the replacement phone, very happy with the whole thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone done this? What's the turn around time? I need to get my screen replaced on my 6S and will be in Belfast for a couple of hours at the end of the month.

Got a screen replaced last year in London within 2 hours, would it be the same in Belfast - not sure if there would be enough demand for quick repairs?

An hour or two would do it. I've had mine replaced in Belfast before. And the genius bar is always packed, so book an appointment asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

1 week old iphone6s and dropped it today and broke the screen, would i be better to take out apple care and get it replaced through that or just get a one off screen repair with Apple, gutted this is my 4th iphone and never so much as a scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

etar wrote: »
    1 week old iphone6s and dropped it today and broke the screen, would i be better to take out apple care and get it replaced through that or just get a one off screen repair with Apple, gutted this is my 4th iphone and never so much as a scratch

look at it this way, if you take out apple care it will cost 149 euro, you have an excess with apple care so it's 99euro to get screen replaced so it will cost you 149+99. If you knew your phone was totally banjaxed due to fall it would then be worth it to have Apple care as phone will be replaced for excess of 99euro. To go in off street and get screen replaced from authorized repairer it's 160 euro without Apple care. Hope this helps.

Also after buying an iPhone you have up to 60/90 days I think to take out Apple care if you didn't do it from day one. I think they will send a diagnostic to phone to see if everything is legit with phone before you can add it to your phone.

CompuB or iconnect are authorized repairers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

etar wrote: »

Apple will run diagnostics on it before you take out try to take out AppleCare, and then refuse to provide once they discover that it's damaged

Advertisement