Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cortina History

Options
  • 13-02-2016 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

377694.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Didn't realise they were so closely grouped in sales. Particularly the mk1 didn't see as many of these arounf Ireland back in 70s early 80s where the mk2 and mk5 in particular were everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The mk3 sold almost as well as the mk5 but are much scarcer. I always liked the mk3 but they gave terrible steering problems being plagued with steering vibrations which I always thought was down to people using cheap tyres especially remoulds which were brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Historical note for non Cortina fans: There really wasn't a Mk5...it was a facelifted Mk4 referred to as Cortina 80. Everyone called it mk5 though (except Ford). So the figures above refer to the 76 to 82 model which is Mk4 and "5". (All of Mk1 to 3 had a mid-term facelift also)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

jca wrote: »
    The mk3 sold almost as well as the mk5 but are much scarcer. I always liked the mk3 but they gave terrible steering problems being plagued with steering vibrations which I always thought was down to people using cheap tyres especially remoulds which were brutal.

More likely that was down to worn anti-roll bar bushes. Capri's had the same problem too.

Easy & cheap fix though.

More likely that was down to worn anti-roll bar bushes. Capri's had the same problem too.

Easy & cheap fix though.

Nowadays it is a cheap fix but not back in the 70's when it was a real financial struggle trying to keep a car on the road. It did a lot of harm to the cars reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

jca wrote: »
    Nowadays it is a cheap fix but not back in the 70's when it was a real financial struggle trying to keep a car on the road. It did a lot of harm to the cars reputation.

Ah here. I know times were tough for lots of families then but it wasn't the famine or anything like that going on at that stage.

It was & still is a very cheap fix for any Ford of that era.

Ye'd swear it was a bottom end rebuild going on the way you have the panic about it.

Ah here. I know times were tough for lots of families then but it wasn't the famine or anything like that going on at that stage.

It was & still is a very cheap fix for any Ford of that era.

Ye'd swear it was a bottom end rebuild going on the way you have the panic about it.

At least a bottom end rebuild lasted. Those bloody anti-roll bar bushes and the other bushes were never ending. You'd only have the fecker sorted and the wheel would start vibrating again. Standard ford front shocks being black worn out after 20000 miles didn't help either. A set of Konis or Munroe adjustables transformed them. Strangely the Cortina 80 wasn't as susceptible to the dreaded head staggers as the III and IV were.

I have owned over 40 Cortinas and never changed a single bush, never needed too.

Mechanically the 3 4 and 5 were almost the same. The Cortina 80 was a Mk4 with a facelift.

( I almost tell a lie, I changed the rear bushes on a Taunus which is a Cortina in disguise.

edit: I checked my sources....this can be regarded as reliable "The early mk3 had adjustable rear axle but is interchangeable, the front subframe on the early ones has oval rubber tie bar bushes....the odd tweak here and there but pretty much the same.." I imagine you must have had an early Mk3

I have owned over 40 Cortinas and never changed a single bush, never needed too.

Mechanically the 3 4 and 5 were almost the same. The Cortina 80 was a Mk4 with a facelift.

( I almost tell a lie, I changed the rear bushes on a Taunus which is a Cortina in disguise.

edit: I checked my sources....this can be regarded as reliable "The early mk3 had adjustable rear axle but is interchangeable, the front subframe on the early ones has oval rubber tie bar bushes....the odd tweak here and there but pretty much the same.." I imagine you must have had an early Mk3

It was a neighbour who had one DZR 179 if I remember correctly. He bought it new and had nothing but trouble with it almost from day 1. It was constantly in the garage, steering wheel vibration proving almost impossible to cure by our local ford dealer. He was a high mileage driver at that time. He got a K20 corolla KZR 293 and never looked back.

yeah, the Jap cars were game changers weren't they when they came in

• Advertisement

yeah, the Jap cars were game changers weren't they when they came in

They sure were. They had good spec, were great on juice and they just worked. We won't mention rust.......

Cortina never rusted of course!

Cortina never rusted of course!

That's what held them together......

Advertisement