Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Saw a black 08 CN audi in Limerick today with an Autobots badge rather than the four rings. My inner 16 year old thought it was class. :D

Sorry, no pic - imagination required.

If it's the car I'm thinking of it is driven as if it's going to turn into a transformer at anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

0Ft.jpg

The Ladies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

166man wrote: »

More like The Harem :D

More like The Harem :D

That red 156 is 16 years in the family this year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

[QUOTE=
    The Ladies. :)[/QUOTE]

Do you tax them and park them up in turn??

If so, do you need to do anything to the car while its parked up for months to keep it sound???

OS

• Advertisement

Aren't you a lucky boy to have that kind of storage? I would fit a lift if i had that kind of storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Aren't you a lucky boy to have that kind of storage? I would fit a lift if i had that kind of storage.

I've got a garage capable of holding up to 16 cars. It's got no cars and a pile of firewood...so ya know, it's worse to have that problem.

I've got a garage capable of holding up to 16 cars. It's got no cars and a pile of firewood...so ya know, it's worse to have that problem.

I've got a garage capable of holding one car thankfully as I would have bought far more over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Cool pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

My wife wishes I had no garage at all, especially if a certain black 159 goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Great pic but how undignified was it getting out of the 166? :pac:

Do you tax them and park them up in turn??

If so, do you need to do anything to the car while its parked up for months to keep it sound???

OS

Yeah take one at a time really and try and keep one taxed. The rest I keep the batteries disconnected, but start them and move them regularly enough.

It's necessary unfortunately living in dublin. This is about 35 minutes outside Dublin.
    tossy wrote: »
    Cool pic.

Thanks man, wouldn't you think I'd buy some decent bloody cars to keep in the shed at this stage? :D

Great pic but how undignified was it getting out of the 166? :pac:

Any man exiting a 166 always does so in a dignified manner! That was tight tho I'll admit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah take one at a time really and try and keep one taxed. The rest I keep the batteries disconnected, but start them and move them regularly enough.

It's necessary unfortunately living in dublin. This is about 35 minutes outside Dublin.

Thanks man, wouldn't you think I'd buy some decent bloody cars to keep in the shed at this stage? :D

Any man exiting a 166 always does so in a dignified manner! That was tight tho I'll admit :)

Fair play to you keeping all those alfas. At least some of them will survive. Just please add one gt in that line. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

First ass shot.

IMG_20170808_122749.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Picked up another rare gem today. Suburb cond one owner gs300, full Lexus service history, fresh NCT, 90,000 miles, drives a dream.
    All my favourite bits like full untouched tool kit and spare wheel. Bought, and serviced since, in the same Lexus dealer 17 years ago. 900 bob!

Second pic is a photoshop of some wheels I have ready to put on it. Happy out with it.

untitled-11.jpg

untitled-21.jpg

Ah heyor where the **** are you finding these??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Are those flared wheel arches too? Looks like he had a go with a rolling pin :o.

bear1 wrote: »
    Ah heyor where the **** are you finding these??

No one wants these older Jap cars... the world is your oyster. This guy didn't get one phone call till I picked it up up. Especially a 3.0 petrol. If it's not tdi and vag it seems (most) people aren't too interested. Plus I have a nack for spotting a good one :pac:

Hal1 wrote: »
    Are those flared wheel arches too? Looks like he had a go with a rolling pin :o.

Haha, no that's a quick photoshop pic of how I'm planning to set it up. It's on standard wheels and ride height now. Arches will be rolled properly, or not at all hopefully... offset is just about to run them with a slight touch of camber + no rubbing.

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    No one wants these older Jap cars... the world is your oyster. This guy didn't get one phone call till I picked it up up. Especially a 3.0 petrol. If it's not tdi and vag it seems (most) people aren't too interested. Plus I have a nack for spotting a good one :pac:

Lovely car but dunno how you can justify the tax and fuel costs on something so slow and old? Fair enough if it was some rocketship with a grin factor

How much is the tax on that? 3x what the car is worth..

Not saying I don't agree with spending the money, I pay a fortune to keep my bike and car on the road but couldn't justify that

Just genuinely curious how much the whole outlay is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lovely car but dunno how you can justify the tax and fuel costs on something so slow and old? Fair enough if it was some rocketship with a grin factor

How much is the tax on that? 3x what the car is worth..

Not saying I don't agree with spending the money, I pay a fortune to keep my bike and car on the road but couldn't justify that

Just genuinely curious how much the whole outlay is

It's not that slow 220PS, 0-60 8 seconds. It is very heavy though but reasonable speed times.

It's not that slow 220PS, 0-60 8 seconds. It is very heavy though but reasonable speed times.

Suppose what you consider fast to be, that's not remotely quick but then I'm comparing to bikes I could probably run faster than my car tbf haha

Agreed, good speed times for how heavy it is though and it is a nice car I'm just struggling to comprehend someone buying a car for 900 and paying what, 2k in tax? Maybe I'm miles off with that but mentally for me that would be a huge block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Agreed, good speed times for how heavy it is though and it is a nice car I'm just struggling to comprehend someone buying a car for 900 and paying what, 2k in tax? Maybe I'm miles off with that but mentally for me that would be a huge block

1500 per annum for a 3.0l

Speaking for myself, the way I see it is that I want to be able to say I've owned and experienced big engined 6 or 8 cylinder cars before everything becomes electric and what not in years to come.

The tax is a killer, especially when you compare to the UK but you just end up taking it on the chin.

1500 per annum for a 3.0l

Speaking for myself, the way I see it is that I want to be able to say I've owned and experienced big engined 6 or 8 cylinder cars before everything becomes electric and what not in years to come.

The tax is a killer, especially when you compare to the UK but you just end up taking it on the chin.

Fair play, that's not as bad as I thought but still a whopper outlay. Once you put it like that it probably it is worth it, last chance saloon for alot of these big engines nowadays alternative drive a ****ty diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I had a 3.0 mitsubishi in NZ and a 3.5 ford falcon. Great craic, especially the rear wheel drive falcon with the TC turned off..

And still $70 to tax for the year because it's a country that doesn't fücking hate it's motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Taking the same logic - why would someone spend 25k on a brand new diesel with cheap tax, to have it depreciate at 4k a year.

Comparing the 2, (and not taking mileage into account - just purchase price, tax, insurance, depreciation) the cost of owning the Lexus and selling it after a year is probably considerably less than the cost of owning a brand new Ford Focus or anything else for the same time. Yup, the tax is a killer, but its still probably less than half the depreciation on an average new car. Thats what bangernomics is all about - cheap and sometimes fun/interesting motoring. :)

Ps - not calling your car a banger SC, it just falls within the criteria that most people would define bangernomics by ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To an extent.

I think you need to remove the cost of the car/ depreciation of the car from your motor tax opinion. Yeah, to a reasonable degree high tax generates cheap cars but not entirely so.

If you buy a new car in any country it will depreciate by a similar amount, cheap tax or not and if you buy a 15 year old cheap car in any country it will be cheap, expensive tax or not. So saying a new "cheap tax" car will devalue itself by more than the value of an old cc tax car, while true, is a bit of a false economy too.

While your new car is devaluing, at least you're getting something for the money it has cost you in terms of a snazzy new looking car, new automotive technology, your own choice of colour/ spec, warranty, no unexpected bills, cheaper tax etc. What so you get for the expensive tax on a cheap car? SFA. Straight 6 noise or something. Yeah to an enthusiast it may be worth it, I understand, but let's not try to justify it.

€1500, more than a months wages on the minimum wage for perspective, 8% of someone's yearly income on motor tax alone, just to put a sheet of paper in the window so the man says you can drive is a sin IMO. Not that I don't like the Lexus, I do, but I know I couldn't justify it personally.

Anyway. This may need splitting to a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

landy.jpg

Its a bit laughable compared to some of the cars on this thread mind you

• Advertisement

Nothing laughable about that at all, fecking beast out on the field I bet and would put many new "4x4s" to shame.

Nothing laughable about that at all, fecking beast out on the field I bet and would put many new "4x4s" to shame.

i had it out on a course a few times for the more extreme off roading and to be fair, it can travel over some mad terrain. dont get to do that as much as I'd like mind you. You just have to get used to thinking 60mph is incredibly fast. someone nicked the grills off the front of it mind you - just ripped them off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

maccored wrote: »

Its a bit laughable compared to some of the cars on this thread mind you

Wait till Kim and Trump kick off and it's all Mad Max all of a sudden and see who's looking clever then! :pac:

maccored wrote: »
    i had it out on a course a few times for the more extreme off roading and to be fair, it can travel over some mad terrain. dont get to do that as much as I'd like mind you. You just have to get used to thinking 60mph is incredibly fast. someone nicked the grills off the front of it mind you - just ripped them off

You have some utter cnuts out there.
    There is a good reason those jeeps were made for decades. Even setting them up for proper off roading is supposed to be quite ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Best of luck with the new defender Mac

Absolute legends off road.. you should be able to laugh at ditches and fields where old tiny Japanese 4x4 would come comically stuck.

Sorry to hear some scummer has been stealing from it,. Hope he gets cock rot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Serviced recently so gave it a wash too :)

IMG_20170809_144616.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Gorgeous car :)

You have some utter cnuts out there.
    There is a good reason those jeeps were made for decades. Even setting them up for proper off roading is supposed to be quite ok.

mine is standard. I have a set of off road wheels and thats all I need to put on it. the wheels on it would be grand though for most off roading. once you get used to being high up, traveling slow and having to stick yer arm out the window, its grand

That's a credit to you VintageVRS, looks showroom fresh :).

On the tax debate. To Me it's worth it, sure €1500 is alot of money, and it pains me to pay it, but at the price I paid for the car I'll be able to sell it on in a years time for a decent profit, which will help offset this. (As good as I am at spotting bargains, I'm equally good at selling a car well!).

These cars are a dying breed, now is the time to be enjoying them for me. Sure it's not a rocketship with 220 brake... but it provides a level of luxury that I could not afford in a newer car. And reliability that no new car will match over time. I can afford the tax (grudgingly), the car brings me alot of joy. So in a nutshell, there's the logic for me.

gs-s-1-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I still love the look of those! Have you a CD changer as I have a cable that converts the CD to AUX IN.. The plug on mine is different..

• Advertisement

Tax is only an issue if you pay it. I like the old switcheroo method myself. Three months in my name, three months in the missus name. Tax cut in half.

Of course I don't advocate this. I'm a good little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    On the tax debate. To Me it's worth it, sure €1500 is alot of money,

Yeah, it is, but think if this way - its just 3 months lease payments on some crappy, but newer hatchback that you will be bored with within months.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Serviced recently so gave it a wash too :)

I actually seen your cars twin today in Naas. A young lady was driving a red one, but looked really nice in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hal1 wrote: »
    A young lady was driving a red one, but looked really nice in the flesh.

The car or the lady? :pac:

Wheels sorted, how needs lowering. And Half a dose of tax :D

gs-euroline-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Stretched tyres, I heard they are the pits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

How come the GS badge is backwards?

Stretched tyres, I heard they are the pits?

Stretched tyres are class laddddd :D Came on the wheels. Will be running a slight stretch on new tyres, all to be decided when coilovers arrive.
    How come the GS badge is backwards?

Oh ya, never noticed that! strange...

Truckermal wrote: »
    I still love the look of those! Have you a CD changer as I have a cable that converts the CD to AUX IN.. The plug on mine is different..

I do have a CD changer, was thinking of now to get an aux in going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah, it is, but think if this way - its just 3 months lease payments on some crappy, but newer hatchback that you will be bored with within months.
    Nail. Meet head. Don't get me wrong if someone wants a new car on PCP or whatever then the best of Irish luck to them, but for me with much of the newer stuff, particularly the newer stuff that would be affordable, the options out there going older and for the same money, hell usually for a helluva lot less money the choices and yes excitement factor are more in play. Again For me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement