Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Worst snow in years coming they said, winter prep they said.. .so i washed it :D

IMG_7331.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Smart Tossy. Snow won't stick to it.. at least you have 4wd.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Gave blue a bath too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=442865&d=1519594676[\img]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

tossy wrote: »
    Worst snow in years coming they said, winter prep they said.. .so i washed it :D
    But now it'll be camoflaged when the snow arrives so your 4wd will be useless when you can't find the car :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It is actually functional, it has some aerodynamic function I read about, but can’t quite remember exactly what. It directs air down the side of the car... or something. However I’m sure it’s as much for aesthetics as anything.

Thanks for your contribution all the same.

For all Bmw going on about the air breathers when they started fitting them, when they did the lci face lift on the 4 series they now are blocked off and serve no function now.

Car looks great Joe.
    See you fitted black grille. Really improves the appearance. I hate the chrome surrounding the regular one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    For all Bmw going on about the air breathers when they started fitting them, when they did the lci face lift on the 4 series they now are blocked off and serve no function now.

Car looks great Joe.
    See you fitted black grille. Really improves the appearance. I hate the chrome surrounding the regular one.

Oh really?! I hadn't heard / read that anywhere else! So maybe they are purely cosmetic then :p Either way, I like them...

Yeah, fitted the black grills on Saturday. A fairly inexpensive mod (genuine OEM BMW black grills) and not too difficult to swap out... just some grazed knuckles :o They definitely look better. I also retro fitted the dash trim that's fitted to the LCI cars (it has a nice ambient light around / behind it) - again a nice touch that cost buttons...

D6_C844_EF_1_EE0_4_DB1_A83_F_C00_C9_A840_F6_F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Been getting a work out the last week, lots of pops, lots of bangs. Despite being turbo season, it proves to still be faster than an MKV GTI. Lovely stuff.

dw50z9.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The replacement for the SL550 has arrived. (Wife is pregnant, and it's not a great family car). The problem is finding a replacement for a 425hp, $130k (when new) roadster. Anything else seems to be a disappointment.

The first choice was an E-class, the wife likes Mercs. We very nearly walked away with a 2018 E-class on lease, but decided it was too pricey. Besides, the affordable ones come with 4-bangers. The previous generation, like a 2015 comes with a V6, which just feels better (No matter what the stats say). Although very affordable ones were found, they just didn't 'do anything' for her. They were surprisingly down-scale. They weren't bad, per se, but they didn't really make you feel special. May as well drive my Passat. Same with the Audis. The A6s were 'meh' in the vroom department, and OK inside. The 2015 S4 was much more fun, but still a little lacking inside though granted, it may just have been the configuration of the interior colors. So, to BMW, on the off-chance. (She flat refuses to consider Cadillac, though it's in the running for my next one. I am not a fan of Lexus/Accura etc).

Much better. First one we tried, turned out to be the keeper. The 4 was too small, and the new 5s too pricey.
    0DHMQ52.jpg

rFaTocP.jpg

One 2015 550i, M-sport, in "Carbon Black", which is actually a very dark form of blue, with 48,000 miles on the clock (And a year and a bit's warranty to go yet). The previous owner (It was a lease) seems to have a fairly similar philosophy to us. He obviously couldn't afford a fully tooled-up Beemer, so he forwent some of the gadgets and gizmos in favor of the V8, the M-sport suspension, and upgraded interior, leather everywhere. I'm going to miss the Merc's radar cruise control and blind spot monitor (Useful in the US), and there are some other things which are not present, but I can't argue with the way the thing pulls out in traffic. iDrive is driving me nuts, though. Still trying to figure out the details. HUD is a neat feature, surprisingly versatile.

Only bizarre problem for a car of this sort is that there are no seat heaters. Wife likes them for her back. I'm going to have to see if I can get it retrofitted somehow. While I'm at it, I might put on some new pipes. If you have a V8, may as well make it sound like a V8.

Now, hopefully I can get a fair amount for the SL.

Corkman's Citroen confused the hell out of me, I had no clue what it was. The logos in the wheels seemed to say 'Citroen', but I've evidently been out of Europe waaaaay too long. Finally nailed it down.

Apparently there is at least one in the USA. Entertaining review here, if you wonder how an American would react to it. https://jalopnik.com/we-drove-a-citroen-c6-and-it-was-better-than-our-wildes-1703876075

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Very nice motor MM. Even rarer than an M5 over here. Can't believe it doesn't have seat heating though! Standard over here on all 5 series models...even 518d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Super car MM! Feel free to tell me to bugger off but how do the associated costs compare to here?

Litre of fuel?
    Tax? (Or equivalent)
    Insurance?

At the risk of being banned for not posting a picture; I took my E46 off the road in November. Went to visit it at the weekend as it's likely to make an unscheduled return soon. It has acquired a very interesting neighbor!

2r9a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

91 WD reg?
    Buddy of mine just put one into storage the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

At the risk of being banned for not posting a picture

Wrong thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ELM327 wrote: »
    91 WD reg?
    Buddy of mine just put one into storage the other day.

UK reg. Absolutely spotless, no sign of rust anywhere. Have other pictures but it's not my car so not comfortable sharing much else tbh.

Sent it immediately to a mate who had one about 10 years ago and is now on the hunt for the owner with a bag of cash! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CianRyan wrote: »
    Been getting a work out the last week, lots of pops, lots of bangs. Despite being turbo season, it proves to still be faster than an MKV GTI. Lovely stuff.

http://i63.tinypic.com/dw50z9.jpg

Looking good Cian! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Nice Rex Cian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Anyone here drive a black 750i? Uk plates. Passed it around Citywest heading for m50 northbound and was still beside me near Navan! Beautiful machine

Super car MM! Feel free to tell me to bugger off but how do the associated costs compare to here?

Litre of fuel?
    Tax? (Or equivalent)
    Insurance?

Short answer: I would wager, "Better."

Long answer.

The 91-octane stuff she drinks currently is going for about $3.70/gallon, which, translated into Euroean, is about Eu 0.85/litre. Bear in mind we are in the second-most expensive place for petrol in the US (We are seriously considering a move to Texas, where it's about $2.20/gal (Eu 0.48/litre)).
    The sales tax was the standard 9.25%, that's paid once. The annual registration fee is, this year, about $425. (About Eu350). I suspect the fee will go up about $120 next year, if the increase doesn't get repealed. (One of the big political stories in California right now. Last time someone raised vehicle fees, we kicked the Governor out of office in a recall election. The very first thing the new Governator did was rescind the increase in the car fee.)
    Insurance, well, bear in mind we're a married couple, I'm over 40, and we get the bundled discount for multiple cars, the house, and some property all on one policy, so I'm already on a headstart over many. Adding the BMW has added about $890US/year (Eu 730 or so). (Dropping the Mercedes when I sell it will drop about $1,100/year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

:D

Will be fun in the morning...

443282.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Pop across into Centra for a coffee from Mairead and go back to bed... I usually drive past you in the mornings..

• Advertisement

5.30 this morning..

IMG_7396.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Fire up the Quattro:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tossy that is some amount.

I should have taken a pic from the other side it had drifted up to the lower trim on the door and the back wheel was completely covered. took about 25 mins to dig it out all around and i wasn't sure if i would clear the snow in front all the way out of the estate but it was ok. Main road was grand then - the big hill going through the curragh had caught out a few unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Somehow made it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My brother just sent me a video of his 2000. I am going to take my BEAT out later which should be fun in a mid-engined RWD 2 seater with 13" wheels with no ABS :pac:

Should be great craic:pac:. I found the S2000 decent enough this morning due to the 50/50 weight distribution. Also reckon the lack of driver aids actually makes it easier in such conditions than say having to have ESP on etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I should have taken a pic from the other side it had drifted up to the lower trim on the door and the back wheel was completely covered. took about 25 mins to dig it out all around and i wasn't sure if i would clear the snow in front all the way out of the estate but it was ok. Main road was grand then - the big hill going through the curragh had caught out a few unfortunately.

How did you find the Quattro in the heavy stuff Tossy? What type of tyre have you on it if you don't mind my asking. My parents have a TT Quattro with Pirelli Cinturato all seasons, figured it'll probably be their safest best over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Was out in my fake Quattro earlier (haldex).. handled okay, got up hills that FWD cars were having issues on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I thought the 8P Quattro system was haldex? It's hard to keep know what's in cars these days, and 4wd in one car can be hugely different to 4wd in another. I remember driving an AWD Jag X type in the snow in 2010 thinking this thing would be great....it wasn't. It let all the power out the one wheel with least resistance.

8P is haldex alright, it's my 3rd haldex car have had 2 torsen cars, never had a torsen car on summer tyres in the snow and never had a haldex car on winter tyres in the snow :D

Torsen on winter tyres in snow was impressive - could go anywhere that ground clearance allowed in the bad snow of 2010.

Haldex on summer tyres in snow is marginally better than 2wd for sure. I managed a few steep hills this morning passing a few stranded cars but momentum was my friend i am sure. I remember in 2010 being able to stop on a steep hill to ask a stranded motorist if they had a rope so i could tow them and being able to start again from a stand still.

I've never adhered to the fake quattro line, having owned 3 i can tell you the apply the grip in the same way as a torsen on a wet day and all 3 i've owned have worn tyres on the rear quicker than fronts.

Anyway don't mind me i'm a fan boi lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

3 hours ago...

105zg2v.jpg

It's thawing out a bit now, but more expected later apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thats more snow than we've had here in Basel (driest part of the country) in the almost 4 years I'm here

I've never adhered to the fake quattro line, having owned 3 i can tell you the apply the grip in the same way as a torsen on a wet day and all 3 i've owned have worn tyres on the rear quicker than fronts.

My fake Quattro remark was more due to the fact that mine isn't an Audi, so not a 'Quattro' but the same system :)

mloc123 wrote: »
    My fake Quattro remark was more due to the fact that mine isn't an Audi, so not a 'Quattro' but the same system :)

I get you now, superb isn't it ? Fine car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Protected...

ihSGF96.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Interesting hearing that from someone who has owned a few of both systems. I don't think I have driven a torsen, but from understanding the differences in how the two systems work, your experience is surprising.

Especially that you wear your rears quicker! Are you fond of handbrake turns or what!?:D

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Interesting hearing that from someone who has owned a few of both systems. I don't think I have driven a torsen, but from understanding the differences in how the two systems work, your experience is surprising.

Especially that you wear your rears quicker! Are you fond of handbrake turns or what!?:D

Fond of the shoe :D

I can only relay my experience, all of the haldex cars have been performance cars and all the torsens haven't so maybe the more sprightly haldex car helps nullify the difference in terms of more power, more traction needed etc.

I honestly think given two similar cars with each system you'd want to be pushing hard on a track before spotting the differences or have the skills/toes of a racing driver to feel the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CianRyan wrote: »

Ah man, I fooking love the sound of the RX8, such a unique engine sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

There's an E46 under all that snow

SbFy5Hs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

443518.jpg
    443519.JPG
    Some great snow here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Some great snow here
    Take the 6 out for a spin :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Take the 6 out for a spin :P

thats exactly what it would be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

thats exactly what it would be.
    :pac::D:D:D

My yoke before being extracted from its snowy tomb earlier.

443449.jpg

All it needs is a Cadbury's flake and some strawberry syrup drizzled over it. Though I'm liking the mirrors look... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

high horse wrote: »
    There's an E46 under all that snow

Yay another e46 wagon owner :D

...until tomorrow, mine is now sold :( I just cant justify a diesel anymore.

443636.JPG

Here she is off to her new home^^^, I kept the Rondell's because I've big plans for a proper big engined e46 but the dirty diesel HAS HAS HAS to go.

443637.jpg

• Advertisement

After I dug it out and cleared the latest snow off..

443663.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Snow drift causing an unusual overhang on rear of the Octavia
    DSC_0075.jpg
    The A5 reveresed as far as there and then just spun on the spot.
    DSC_0077.jpg

First one is a bit like an a7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

ve5OzxB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Took ages to clear the snow off it before I set off today. Think I done a good job though.

20180301_103600.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement