Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yesterday vs lunch time today vs one hour ago:

LIVdyX4.jpg

2aLZHXi.jpg

sLcOqIZ.jpg

Lunch time today vs one hour ago:

FqGvLGW.jpg

cK7JeZI.jpg

YM2v2D8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lovely E46 Captain. What is she, 325ci? Apart from being as useful as a chocolate teapot in this weather?

Lovely E46 Captain. What is she, 325ci? Apart from being as useful as a chocolate teapot in this weather?

Thanks, yeah it's a 325 alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm not even really a passive fan of BMW's but I often think I'd like one of those 3 series coupes, 2.0 petrol or diesel would be a good daily I'd say, they are a really nice looking car.

I'm not even really a passive fan of BMW's but I often think I'd like one of those 3 series coupes, 2.0 petrol or diesel would be a good daily I'd say, they are a really nice looking car.

I reckon a 320cd could be a nice daily hack alright.

• Advertisement

The diesels even in that model gave chain and turbo trouble did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

There's pretty much no point in the petrol engines smaller than the 325, extra 300 quid to tax the 6 cyl, same insurance, same fuel consumption & more reliable.

I know this after having a few of them! 320i also very slow. I've a 325i sport I picked up for 800 quid 8 months ago, 7k later no problem at all. You do have to expect suspension bits replacement though. They've a very delicate setup.

Swirl flaps mainly I believe and breather filter I think. And rust.

Diesels in those ones are fine (both four and six cylinder engines), they just need to have had the oil filter changed to the vortex type, otherwise they can lunch their turbos. The swirl flaps need to be deleted as well. Several owners on the E46 owners group on facebook have ones with over 250,000 miles so they can't be too bad. It's the four cylinder diesels between September 2007 and mid-2014 that have the chain problems, the latest diesels are absolutely fine (so far).

But feck diesels and their sensible running costs, life's far too short to have such boredom; silky smooth sweet sounding naturally aspirated six cylinder petrols that have a slight fondness for oil and petrol stations is what it's all about:P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yeah yeah...I am not a bmw fan but I would like x model, or y. Would give my arm for m model z or classic model t....face it you love them...cause they are bloody fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Toyota had a peek at the road today... didn't last long.. 8ft snow drifts at both ends of our lane..water deliveries cancelled

imag1959-jpg.141204

Yeah yeah...I am not a bmw fan but I would like x model, or y. Would give my arm for m model z or classic model t....face it you love them...cause they are bloody fab.

Yeah, no, I honestly don't like :) but not in a hater way, they just don't enthuse me.

Give me an old Starlet any day.

Hopefully a mod comes along shortly to move this thread back on topic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

They don't give any trouble with the chain and the turbo troubles can be avoided by changing the breather filter on the turbo with every third oil change. I'm up to 205k miles on my 320d still on the original turbo.

Edit to add: I've had it since 80k miles and I had intended to get the swirl flaps blanked off but never got around to it and don't think I'll bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Same here 175k miles on a m47 e46 320d
    Original turbo, egr, clutch and flywheel.
    All thats been done is Regular oil changes and a vortex breather filter fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

More pics less talk

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aaronh86

Scooby out for a play yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Winter tires are fantastic,Low ground clearance is not

444483.JPG

444484.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

My forester was out too, perfect yoke for this weather! :pac:

444538.JPG

Is this sideways? Sorry, if it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

For a minute, I thought you were asking if you were drifting sideways.. Son I am disappoint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

xHQcNxKl.jpg

A graceful beast, well suited to the conditions on the side roads of the Phoenix Park.

Yes I got stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

My 2003 Allroad. Owned since new and now with 251k miles. Still going strong and loving the snow.

444554.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Always liked these Audis.

Keeping it for such a long time must be some sort of a record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Avensis rescue team: there's salt in there too. Helping out stranded motorists; one of which was a cocky individual in a RWD that didn't think they needed a 4x4...
    dPaglQdl.jpg

Till I could go no further
    oDnKpbEl.jpg

So I parked it up
    piZZP7ul.jpg

All taking a rest!
    gQY0s7jl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Some non snow photos from last weekend at the Vee!

hrFOL8ah.jpg

zFoJJOjh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No pics foxhole

No pics foxhole

Should be fixed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Should be fixed now!

That car looks badass. Wheels/stance is perfect.

hooch-85 wrote: »

My favourite car on all of boards including my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My neighbor told me I hadn't a hope of getting the car out today... We had 2-3ft drifts on the street. I gave him a cheerful beep as I sailed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

mloc123 wrote: »
    My neighbor told me I hadn't a hope of getting the car out today... We had 2-3ft drifts on the street. I gave him a cheerful beep as I sailed out.

S3 has performed flawlessly over the last few days but today i had to abandon it and walk down a country road. The mounds of frozen snow left in the middle of the road were like concrete and too high for me to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Went for bread and milk.......the long way :pac:

4hlrwh8.jpg

3xO29lX.jpg

ti7iPsW.jpg

mMEoNQF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tossy wrote: »
    S3 has performed flawlessly over the last few days but today i had to abandon it and walk down a country road. The mounds of frozen snow left in the middle of the road were like concrete and too high for me to clear.

Yeah, the only issue I had was the fear if beaching it. Had to dig out the driveway and street in front of the house to avoid the same.

My favourite car on all of boards including my own.

Cheers lads, delighted with how it looks and performs now, just need to get the front end sorted at the very least but that'll have to wait for the moment with my recent bill :pac:

Off to France in it for a week at the end of the month, looking forward to taking it around some of their roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Went for bread and milk.......the long way :pac:

Beautiful machine that. As good to drive I'm sure!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The lead image on my 'selling the car' classified. We don't want to sell it. I've never owned a flagship car before, and though it has spent far too much time in the repair shop for my taste, it's absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, though it has almost every gizmo and gadget known to autodom, one thing it does lack is room in the back for a baby seat, and the wife's getting a little large to be climbing up out of the thing. Plus she's stopped working, so that's one less income to offset the not insubstantial cost of monthly payments.

With any luck, nobody will want to buy it, and we shall have to come up with some sort of plan to keep it. I have no idea how we'll afford it, but we really like this one.

Oh, and for those of you suffering from snow, photo taken this week.

i5IO9tX.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh, yeah. Forgot to post this. We're members of a local car enthusiast club, "Quattro Crew". Started by Audi guys, but frankly, as long as you like cars, you're in, as evidenced by the non-audis which went for lunch. (It's not exactly a formal organisation, but there are a couple hundred members). As you can see, wife and I prefer to drive our separate cars rather than share each others' company (Hey, we have walkie-talkies).

c1z2bhd.jpg

You are looking at 48 cylinders, and some 3,600hp. My puny little 340hp S4 at the near end accounts for somewhere under 10% of the hp and is the weakling of the group. The estate car accounts for about 33% of it.

(Larger version of the same image: https://i.imgur.com/gnN7eHO.jpg )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lovely machines one and all. I love the caddy!
    Oh to be in a country where one can own cars and not get raped by 55% fuel tax, excessive motor tax and the insurance monopoly!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Oh to be in a country where one can own cars and not get raped by 55% fuel tax, excessive motor tax and the insurance monopoly!

And where 95 Octane is considered premium :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

ELM327 wrote: »

...where the government "rape" other countries for this privileges...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Manic Moran, genuine curiosity but are you American with Irish roots or Irish and emigrated to California? Nice that you're doing so well for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Carpentry wrote: »
    ...where the government "rape" other countries for this privileges...

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Source?

Here's a picture of America's penis entering another country against their will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

And where 95 Octane is considered premium :pac:

It is premium fuel, octane ratings are different usa to Europe.
    Usa 95 is roughly equivalent to 98/99 octane in Europe.

Neilw wrote: »
    Usa 95 is roughly equivalent to 98/99 octane in Europe.

My point exactly :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drop the politics please.
    More pictures of cars

Sadly, I missed the opportunity. When I was personally occupying Iraq, I spent more time drinking tea and getting to know the locals than I did filling jerrycans with stolen/raped oil. https://i.imgur.com/iXgVQfg.jpg

To answer the slightly more appropriate point...
    Manic Moran, genuine curiosity but are you American with Irish roots or Irish and emigrated to California? Nice that you're doing so well for yourself.

Both, actually. My parents happened to be in California when I popped out, so American by birth. At age 25, I decided that I was not going to achieve my fortune continuing working shifts in Ballycoolin, so I upped stakes to try my luck in the US, this was in January 2000. Despite the foolhardiness and recklessness of the way I went about it, things seem to have generally worked out.
    Usa 95 is roughly equivalent to 98/99 octane in Europe

In fairness, there's a station near me pumps 101 octane if you want it. There just isn't much call for it, as even the 'premium' cars like Audi/Mercedes run on 91.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Picked her up this morning loving itIMAG3117_zpssjo91e8l.jpg

Nice, I have been looking at these lately. What engine is that? Do they come with the 2.0 TSi from the GTi at all?

OSI wrote: »
    Your petrol options on the A3 are, 1.0 TFSI with 116BHP, or 1.5 TFSI with 150. If you want anything beefier you have to head straight to the S3 at 50k+ with the 2.0 310BHP same as the Golf R.

That's a bit sh1t. One of these with the GTI engine and PP diff and brakes would be a decent car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Nice, I have been looking at these lately. What engine is that? Do they come with the 2.0 TSi from the GTi at all?

It a 2.0 tdi with a 150bhp there is also a 2litre petrol with 220 bhp
    Inside the cabin
    IMAG10970_zpsybihumvk.jpeg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement