Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OSI wrote: »
    Don't buy into the YouTube bull****. A lot of it is either sponsored content or leased to the max for the sake of appearance

Ah no I get that it just is a different world altogether compared to here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wouldn't go comparing the American way of life to our own ;)
    Pros and cons on both sides.

bear1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't go comparing the American way of life to our own ;)
    Pros and cons on both sides.

When it comes to cars though...

Here a 1 litre is classed as high powered.

Ugh what I'd give to have a 3 litre that you could actually afford to own or bigger.

Here a 2 litre is near impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

447836.png

I just cheat the welfare system. Go on report me I dare you.... :P :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ugh what I'd give to have a 3 litre that you could actually afford to own or bigger.

Ah come off it with the exaggerating. Nobody classes a 1L as high powered here. 2 L is very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Years ago in San Fran I saw a dodge ram (5.7 hemi) with a rear bumper sticker that read "only milk and orange juice comes in 2 litres" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Appreciate the kind words on the car. The colour is called White-Silver, its quite strange in person (often looks nearly a light blue, Mazda have a similar colour). Interested to see peoples opinion of the interior colours, from the non car people I usually spend my time around it's like marmite, people either love the tartan or absolutely hate it. I've just moved away from having a couple of cars with leather, I'm not a fan, would love alcantara some day.

Lovely car, well wear. I’ve had one myself and an R after it and I would prefer the looks of the GTI too. The little flashes of red look great, even more so on the facelift. White silver is nice - it’s a bit unusual, I’ve seen people say they really dislike it but I think it suits the GTI well.

They used to do a very nice half alcantara option on the MK7. It would look a lot like your interior except the bolsters, armrests, door cards, etc were alcantara / “leather” rather than the scratchy cloth. They dropped that option in the facelift though unfortunately.

Ah come off it with the exaggerating. Nobody classes a 1L as high powered here. 2 L is very common.

You know dam well I was being sarcastic....

Anything over a litre is high powered here.

They screw you on tax, insurance etc....

Look at reports of cars taken by cab and how a 520d and the likes are classed as high powered recovered vehicles.

In the US it's mad as a 2.0 is small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Look at reports of cars taken by cab and how a 520d and the likes are classed as high powered recovered vehicles.

In the US 6 litres gives you 50bhp though. And 1 mpg :)

European market cannot be compared to the US tbh.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    In the US 6 litres gives you 50bhp though. And 1 mpg :)

European market cannot be compared to the US tbh.

Ah come off it things have changed they get a 100bhp... Now.

You know what I mean it would be so cool to have some nice motors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ah come off it things have changed they get a 100bhp... Now.

You know what I mean it would be so cool to have some nice motors...

You understand the term 'per capita'?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    You understand the term 'per capita'?

Eh no.... Yes of course.

A look forget about it.

Just be nice to have something cool here that people could afford.

Look at the difference from Ireland to the UK.

They have much better cars in general and aren't screwed over with tax after tax after tax after tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

90s Toyota camry's are very common in the US, nobody takes pictures of crap cars and puts them on the net ;)

520d is classed as high powered because newspapers like to pretend that all drug dealers are millionaires. the amount of times gards catch people with kilos of heroin worth hundreds of thousands here and its always being carried in some mondeo on bald tyres with no tax, insurance or nct.

in the US leasing cars is very much the done thing , everyone has car payments, watch any of the repo shows , everything in the US is bought on credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Eh no.... Yes of course.

A look forget about it.

They have much better cars in general and aren't screwed over with tax after tax after tax after tax.

What would you consider cool ?
    Plenty of great cars out there at reasonable prices it just depends what you want to spend your money on, people I know complain about driving a 2000 fiesta but are out 4 nights a week on the lash and smoking a pack of fags a day, snapchatting fancy food and cocktails
    Meanwhile I’m at home polishing the car lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It really isn't. Middle America do not drive around in high powered new cars.

Maybe you are watching TV shows or stuff on YouTube. The reality is different. Sure there is a % of the population that do, but I would guess the same % of the population here are driving around in cars that cost 60-70k+

I spend a bit of time in Palo Alto each year, incredibly rich area (property prices are eye watering, property tax is 1% a year also)... there are a plenty of Teslas/M3/M5/AMGs along with muscle cars. Drive 10 miles south and its mostly pretty old mundane saloons. No different to driving from one area to another in Dublin.

You can buy high powered cars here, plenty of people do. The main difference I see between the US and here is that Ireland is full of people with a "woe is us" moany attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The wife and I went out to eat a bit ago and parked next to this beautiful yellow Lamborghini. It was in a town about 10 miles from us.  She wondered who owned it.  I said Mario  Andretti.  She laughed.  I replied... no, really... Mario Andretti.  He lives here and often eats at the restaurant Saturday evenings.  He was in the restaurant and when I left he was standing outside waiting for his wife.  We complained about how wives just can’t stop talking and always make the husbands wait.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On carzone at the moment there are

~50 BMW M series cars
    ~30 Audi R/S cars
    ~20 Mustangs
    ~29 Porsche 911s

and lots of other more day to day stuff.

Plenty of choice available here. As for motor tax and fuel costs... I think if you can live with the depreciation of any of those cars, fuel costs won't be a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Double edged sword, I honestly think Ireland is one of the few countries you can actually use fast cars without losing your licence.

And I don't know why a 2 litre is nearly impossible, I haven't had anything smaller than a 2.5 in a long time and even that was a turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Eh no.... Yes of course.

A look forget about it.

Can't multi quote on the phone,

I'm not attacking your posts but again I think second hand powerful cars are far cheaper here specifically because of high tax etc compared to England etc. Can't speak for the American market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2 litre is the limit for me tax wise anything above it is just crazy. The likes of a Evo, WRX, STi, GSR, GT4 fastish cars with 4WD and turbo for that bit of a kick. I will admit though they have high running costs apart from tax. You will be calling into your local petrol station fairly often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I pay 600 odd tax on a 1992 318i and 1200 on a 3 ltr twin turbo....frankly the bigger engine is a bargain considering its 4 times the performance. Screw the tax, if you wants your motors you gots to put yout chips on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I definitely understand where punisher5112 is coming from.

Ireland is no country for car enthusiasts.. cars are expensive thanks to VRT. The fact that a €2,350 motor tax rate even exists is ridiculous and insurance is nothing short of extortionate.

We just dont get to enjoy the same variety and class of cars that other countries do without being bled dry.

Take a Ford Mustang which in the US is sn everyday attainable sports car.. here there are priced at €70k, costs €2350 to tax.. and the Mary in Aviva will have a heart attack on the phone when you tell her tou want to insure a “Five Litre”

You don’t even have to look to the US... take a trip to Belfast or over to the UK and you will soon notice that the cars they are driving are a little bit “different”

Doesnt take a genius to figure out they are not getting raped for wanting to drive something that isnt a lovely little 1.4 Golf :rolleyes:

ION08 wrote: »
    I definitely understand where punisher5112 is coming from.

Ireland is no country for car enthusiasts.. cars are expensive thanks to VRT. The fact that a €2,350 motor tax rate even exists is ridiculous and insurance is nothing short of extortionate.

We just dont get to enjoy the same variety and class of cars that other countries do without being bled dry.

Take a Ford Mustang which in the US is sn everyday attainable sports car.. here there are priced at €70k, costs €2350 to tax.. and the Mary in Aviva will have a heart attack on the phone when you tell her tou want to insure a “Five Litre”

You don’t even have to look to the US... take a trip to Belfast or over to the UK and you will soon notice that the cars they are driving are a little bit “different”

Doesnt take a genius to figure out they are not getting raped for wanting to drive something that isnt a lovely little 1.4 Golf :rolleyes:

The uk is heavily being flooded with lease cars lately
    The leases are ridiculously cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As interesting as the subject has become....Can we get back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Bog standard, but cleans up well!

IMG_20180407_172352_zpsgkqy6yyu.jpg

sjZ0yyb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

It really isn't. Middle America do not drive around in high powered new cars.

True, most cars are average normal run-of-the-mill everyday cars and a lot of trucks.  I live in rural northeast US – country bumpkin land.  A nice amount of people here have automotive toys for the summer months.  The Dodge Charger is my fun car right now.  (Boats are another popular toy.  I recently sold off my 20 foot Fish’n’Ski freshwater boat with a V-6, 150HP Evinrude motor powering it... and am installing a swimming pool this weekend with the money). 
    For not much money you can get your hands on some sweet rides.  Extras are 6% sales tax and a minimal transfer fee.  Insurance is reasonable, especially if it is a classic car that isn't driven much.  Almost every community around here has car shows over the weekends where enthusiasts gather to display and talk rides. 
    For about $5K to $7.5K US Dollars (4K to 6K Euro) I could get my hands on some of these tomorrow… within 25 miles from where I live.
    1958 Chevy Delray 283 V-8 engine
    [img]https:/d3dxp4akn1otfb.cloudfront.net/1958-Chevrolet-Del Ray-american-classics--Car-100789536-622a8ad86587f9e03fbdd3c59063b535.jpg?r=fit[/img]
    1980 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
    [mg]https://dy98q4zwk7hnp.cloudfront.net/1980-Chevrolet-Corvette-muscle-and-pony-cars--Car-100967934-811a63b5143ae8ad6599a80ebdf96e8b.jpg?r=fit&w=430&s=1[/img]
    For about $10K (8K Eruo) I could get something like this…
    1952 Porsche Glockler Spyder Tribute Racer
    1952-Porsche-Other%20Porsche%20Models-import-classics--Car-100753221-1ad0d8a74bf5d8fe9ccdec2fb6cc0bba.jpg?r=fit&w=430&s=1
    And if I had about $17.5 (14K Euro) burning a hole in my pocket I could owns these…
    1923-Ford-Model%20T-antiques--Car-100962086-e4e59899a025b08dda3137efbe2127d2.jpg?r=fit&w=430&s=1

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Havent posted the car here in a while so I'll go for it. Tackled the mondeo over the Easter break. Took off all the alloys, deironed, detarred, sealed them and popped them back on. Also cleaned the arch liners and whatever of the suspension I could get to. Took off the carpet arch liner at the back arches too, to clear out any gathered muck. Done the usual prep to the paintwork and polished it up. It's not without its marks, but it's in fairly good shape.

mondeo18a.png

mondeo18b.png

mondeo18c.png

mondeo18d.png

mondeo18e.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Those mondeos have to be one of the best value for money cars out there right now. Whenever I'm looking for cars 2k to 2.5k they're continuously coming up...once the belt(s) are done they can't be killed. Drove the 1.6 petrol a few weeks ago and thought it would be dead but surprisingly nippy for such a small engine in such a big car. Great yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Those mondeos have to be one of the best value for money cars out there right now. Whenever I'm looking for cars 2k to 2.5k they're continuously coming up...once the belt(s) are done they can't be killed. Drove the 1.6 petrol a few weeks ago and thought it would be dead but surprisingly nippy for such a small engine in such a big car. Great yokes.

We have it since fairly new, so it has depreciated like a stone :o Only worth a tiny fraction of what was paid for it. Wet belt was done, alongside the clutch and flywheel, so should be good to soldier on. It's the 1.8 125 hp, slow to respond but grand for a daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Just after bringing it down from the north delighted with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

bought this in UK last week.

Drove it 200 or so miles back in some shocking conditions and it never missed a beat, but I have to admit having no ABS or ESC played on my mind a bit when I was trapesing through rivers on the M62 with only a piece of fabric between me and the wheel of the HGV outside me !

BTW - the wheels are brand new but I cant warm to them so are for sale.
    Will gladly swap for originals in good nick !

We have it since fairly new, so it has depreciated like a stone :o Only worth a tiny fraction of what was paid for it. Wet belt was done, alongside the clutch and flywheel, so should be good to soldier on. It's the 1.8 125 hp, slow to respond but grand for a daily.

To be fair 20k ish outlay for 8/9+ years motoring isn't bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm on the lookout for a newish car and those Mondeos really are unbelievable value for the money. What are the Diesels like in terms of reliability? what engine would I be better off going for?

carzony wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a newish car and those Mondeos really are unbelievable value for the money. What are the Diesels like in terms of reliability? what engine would I be better off going for?

Older model was a 2.0 tdci then new shape got a 1.8.
    Once belts are changed and service done with correct oil they tend to be quite good.

I have a 2005 and it has 304k on it the fuel pump is failing on it. Symptoms are when over 2.5 k revs it loses power and you must switch off and can restart in gear not ideal but it will keep going.

I had a 2013 2 litre titanium and other than servicing over two years it didn’t cost me a penny, plenty of extras and not too bad on fuel either 48mpg average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How new and how soon?

vectra wrote: »
    How new and how soon?

lol.......... that time again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

vectra wrote: »
    How new and how soon?

At least 2008 upwards. My insurance renewal is due so very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Got her first proper detailing session today since I bought it. It's amazing how BMW's Carbon Black paint can look navy and purple when clean under certain lighting. I also added matte black grills during the week. Next on the list is pressed plates and wheel spacers.

rsi5Zpg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Bought a new car a few weeks ago. Was looking at A4's, 3series', Passat's etc and then got a notion into my head that I've never had a 3 door car before, so I picked up this. Seems clean enough, bought from a garage & has long NCT.

As for the Corolla, I'm selling it to my neighbor who's a mechanic. He's planning on doing a few bits to it to clean it up. I'll definitely miss it!

I've a few bits to do to the Audi (change the alloys, 18" are way too big) but for now I'm happy with it :)

E7DySPv.jpg

Augeo wrote: »
    lol.......... that time again :pac:

God no.
    Next year :D
    At least 2008 upwards. My insurance renewal is due so very soon.

One of my old cars may be coming on the market soon
    Might be too new for you?

10568968_10202447757619608_371049044824708286_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=00ceb988d5d6b295512a05e6ecd5aaeb&oe=5B595A4C

Duff wrote: »
    Got her first proper detailing session today since I bought it. It's amazing how BMW's Carbon Black paint can look navy and purple when clean under certain lighting. I also added matte black grills during the week. Next on the list is pressed plates and wheel spacers.

https://i.imgur.com/rsi5Zpg.jpg

I love how Carbon Black comes up. the glitter is hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Picked this up today. Happy out

29en9zn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Wow, thats fantastic!

Love it. Kerry reg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Some absolutely cracking motors on here, thought I'd throw up the daily :)

Started off as a quick wash and clean at the weekend after 2 weeks up and down country for work , turned into a full weekend job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Had her over the weekend cracking motor
    IMAG3186_zpszxnvs81g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

m17 wrote: »
    Had her over the weekend cracking motor

What engine? even though i know the answer will disappoint :P

It's a lovely colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Gorgeous colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Do I see a v6t badge at the front of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

S Line badge most likely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement