Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Stunning colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Love the colour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

tossy wrote: »
    What engine? even though i know the answer will disappoint :P

It's a lovely colour.

IMAG3187_zps5k7kdegw.jpg
    It's an Audi a6 black edition 2.0 tdi with 177 bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Oh :( still nice colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What is that colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

IrishZeus wrote: »
    What is that colour?

"Matador Red" I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God Damn that is a nice colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I picked this up a month or two ago planning on going extreme bangernomics. Cleaned it a bit, parked it in the garden and never really thought about it since. Anyway, decided yesterday I would start driving it, so I booked an NCT for this morning. The only NCT prep I did was to take the hub caps off and the flipping thing only went and passed. Delighted.

I've always wanted a high mileage Toyota and this is it I think. Drives like a dream. I'm pretty sure I'll sell the Honda and drive this but they are such alter opposites in finding it hard to commit.

20180417_180349.jpg

20180417_180401.jpg

20180417_180442_006_01.jpg

20180417_195649.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice one! That looks very tidy.

Are you keeping the civic too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

As diesels go that 1.4d4d engine is quite impressive small yet quite refined, felt powerful enough, highly economical and reliable. There are plenty of 2018 diesel engines going around that are still well behind it IMO.

• Advertisement

Thinking of selling the Civic it's just hard to know what to do as the Civic is a nice spec and has a competent amount of power behind it. This is Calcutta spec and as slow as a wet week. I don't really need a car at the moment thankfully and it'd be nice to get some money back out of the Honda.

The 1.4 d4d seems like a decent engine. It hardly sounds dieselly at all at idle and is silent enough at motorway speed too. I've been trying to research reliability issues online but I can't seem to find any really, the gearboxes do give troubke though I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Some of the six speed 1.4d4d corolla's had gearbox bearing issues but it's not massively common. I don't think the 5 speed d4d e12's gave any such bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's amazing how reliable old school diesels can be.
    I had a 98 turbo diesel avensis that simply wouldn't die, whether it blew it's head and after a 90e weld it was back to normal to a crash through a wall and only scratched the wing.
    90bhp only but it was quite capable of getting the job done with little to no fuss and perfect fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Some millage on that, looks fresh considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you changed your mind and selling the Toyota??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Thinking of selling the Civic it's just hard to know what to do as the Civic is a nice spec and has a competent amount of power behind it. This is Calcutta spec and as slow as a wet week. I don't really need a car at the moment thankfully and it'd be nice to get some money back out of the Honda.

The 1.4 d4d seems like a decent engine. It hardly sounds dieselly at all at idle and is silent enough at motorway speed too. I've been trying to research reliability issues online but I can't seem to find any really, the gearboxes do give troubke though I think?

They do like their gearboxes alright but everything else on them is grand.
    I owned one for about 6 years with no trouble really.
    We had a few in the last company I worked for too that went to 600k km.
    Great little car and easy to maintain.
    One of the things I have heard re the gearbox suggestion is to upgrade it one level up on the oil for thickness. Meant to be a small bit harder for gear changes in the cold weather but grand otherwise. My father did this on his 2008 and never had a bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Gearbox bearings is what causes the problem but it's usually only one certain bearing that causes the issue.

The key is to get it replaced when it starts getting noisy and not to wait until it fails and wrecks the gearbox. It's not all that common of an issue but people either replace the gearbox with a secondhand unit( a false economy) or they leave it go too late and end up wrecking the gearbox when the bearing eventually collapses.

Some of the six speed 1.4d4d corolla's had gearbox bearing issues but it's not massively common. I don't think the 5 speed d4d e12's gave any such bother.

The 5 speeds were affected as well.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Gearbox bearings is what causes the problem but it's usually only one certain bearing that causes the issue.

The key is to get it replaced when it starts getting noisy and not to wait until it fails and wrecks the gearbox. It's not all that common of an issue but people either replace the gearbox with a secondhand unit( a false economy) or they leave it go too late and end up wrecking the gearbox when the bearing eventually collapses.

In fairness once the noise starts you don't have too long to get them looked at. I learned that the hard way :(

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    In fairness once the noise starts you don't have too long to get them looked at. I learned that the hard way :(

You usually have enough of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

My friend dropped over in this last night, it's the Eco boost model. Was seriously impressed with it - the chassis is much more capable than I would have expected and gearbox is also lovely.

Would love one some day. Also the colour is lovely

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You usually have enough of time.

I think what screwed me was I had a long but of a long drive home when it started.
    If I heard the noise again I'd probably just park up and either tow it or bring it somewhere local if I ever moved home and got another car like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Great colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Ryano87 wrote: »
    My friend dropped over in this last night, it's the Eco boost model. Was seriously impressed with it - the chassis is much more capable than I would have expected and gearbox is also lovely.

Would love one some day. Also the colour is lovely

Absolutely gorgeous. Maybe someday I'll win the lotto and buy one.

...it would help if I actually did the lotto :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I've always wanted a high mileage Toyota and this is it I think.

I have a bit of catching up to do! This is from the other week, lucky I copped it :p

9noxAUcl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mine went to 234567 today but I said I wouldn’t bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Been a while since I've posted here; my silver e39 is in storage and I only just got around to getting a car at my new location.

It's a 12/98 build e39 M5 badly in need of a wash, original kidney grills, and the M5 badge on the rear.. and some pressed plates maybe.

For a 98 it's pretty well specc'd.. BMW Nav II, electric blind in the rear of the car.. xenons from factory, heated electric memory seats etc..

image2.jpg
    image1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice day today.

20180420_105754_001.jpg

20180420_110337.jpg

20180420_110403.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

On summer set of wheels. :cool:

448852.jpg

Are you not using the original wheels at all jou?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No, took'em off straight away and will put them back on just before I sell it in the future. :)

16s are too delicate on rural roads full of potholes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Good weather, first proper cleaning!

q2TYzjP.jpg
    K0Imc32.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

Took my mark one mx5 out of storage this mornjng. Gave it a good clean and polishing. Started and drove perfectly first time.

It is very basic and has no power steering but puts a smile on face every time. Like driving a reliable MG!

Thanks,

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Octavia VRS 245, picked up yesterday.

IMG_0718.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

A ubiquitous white skoda :D

Lovely car well wear.

tossy wrote: »
    A ubiquitous white skoda :D

Lovely car well wear.

:pac: deserved, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Good weather, first proper cleaning!

]

I seen an almost identical i8 in blanch last Wed lunchtime was it yours ,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

MidMan25 wrote: »
    :pac: deserved, cheers!

Lovely new Vrs! I run a old Mk1 as my battle scared daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

davycc wrote: »
    I seen an almost identical i8 in blanch last Wed lunchtime was it yours ,?

Probably not.. I need to get some aftermarket wheels to be less identical, totally stock right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

https://image.ibb.co/kiMGic/IMG_0718.jpg

Nice.
    Not too many 245's around Id imagine.
    Is she dsg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Those alloys are class best of luck with it mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Had mine detailed during the week, just a 2 stage paint correction and waxed.

vectra wrote: »

https://image.ibb.co/kiMGic/IMG_0718.jpg

Nice.
    Not too many 245's around Id imagine.
    Is she dsg?

Very few I'd imagine, it only launched last summer and I was waiting 6 months for mine. Petrol vrs stopped selling in numbers when the motor tax change came in 2008. Manual gearbox for me. The manual diesel vrs is being discontinued in the summer I heard, DSG only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

joujoujou wrote:
    16s are too delicate on rural roads full of potholes.

It's a skill in itself, I have 18s, won't be too quick to get them again. Can never stop scanning the road!

Very few I'd imagine, it only launched last summer and I was waiting 6 months for mine. Petrol vrs stopped selling in numbers when the motor tax change came in 2008. Manual gearbox for me. The manual diesel vrs is being discontinued in the summer I heard, DSG only.

Wow,
    Hadn't heard that.
    Did you add much spec?
    I had 3 FL Mk2 vRS Octys but was not too keen on the mk3 when it arrived.
    Yours is nice though.
    It's a skill in itself, I have 18s, won't be too quick to get them again. Can never stop scanning the road!

Try 19's :D

Heated seats, heated windscreen, and the Canton sound system. The standard spec is really good so there's not much it's missing.

Heated seats, heated windscreen, and the Canton sound system. The standard spec is really good so there's not much it's missing.

Heated screen is vital in Octavias as far as I would be concerned, Good call there.
    Heated seats are very useful as well.
    Canton is something I would spec in one as well. Is it as good as they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Out of hibernation and cleaned up
    hLW1GAsh.jpg

Will anyone cop the aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Will anyone cop the aerial

;) thought you'd dropped in a rear engine and it was the dipstick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Classic tax next year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement