Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I wanted to put a Hayabusa engine in it and make it a track car, but I've been talked into a faithful restoration, because it's too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

both have been washed since ( beat the hosepipe ban!)

36228648_10156090542039823_2028475305433235456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2aa04644d2cc4f6ff0d4d8e0a8be891f&oe=5BEA2628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RobAMerc wrote: »
    both have been washed since ( beat the hosepipe ban!)

I have never seen one of these before, brilliant!

6_C5067_DB-8047-4873-951_D-_D36_ADF1_F0_FFA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I wanted to put a Hayabusa engine in it and make it a track car, but I've been talked into a faithful restoration, because it's too good

Check out the nct website before you put a load of work and money into it , their records show the vehicle is scrapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Ha! The nct records are not exactly fool proof. Have a modern VLC for it as it was transferred into her father's name a few years ago. That's only because it hasn't presented for an nct since 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

IMG_20180701_134143.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Must have been the M40 in your Beemer, same as in mine. 8v SOHC workhorse.

The current Alfa's a 1.8, last one was a 2.0 alright. You get a little more punch from the 2.0, but they've an extra balancer belt which makes timing belt changes a little more pricey.

What specifically was going wrong with yours?

bid ends :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lumpy_Custard

Interslice wrote: »
    bid ends :(

That's a shame. It can be a lottery, I've looked at my fair share of dodgy cars. The head-in-the-sand nature of car maintenance in Ireland.

Floorpan rust killed my 2.0 156. While I was internally debating whether to save it, the 1.8 popped up in Dublin. Same year and colour, and 45k miles from new. I got over the 11bhp drop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

DSC_1681_zpssdgxmjtj.jpg

DSC_1669_zpsu5vvdyxj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nice Starlet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Nice Starlet!

Well spotted 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

**** the starlet, that shrubbery is simply amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

20180701_195029.jpg

Taxed and waxed.

Taxed and waxed.

Nice dress :pac:

Jemima Bond Junior!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

454706.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Roof is only up as I got burnt alive! Car is made for this weather.

pucGDBJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Roof is only up as I got burnt alive! Car is made for this weather.
    When i see people with roof up I always thin: whats wronnngggg with you! don't buy a convertible if you don't use it lol

Driving a vert when it is very hot and you are literally frying inside in the car cures the desire to have one pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah I don't know about convertibles. Very few days where they would be comfortable. Any sun at all and I need air conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I love a rolling shot..

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did ya get slightly sunburned tossy? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Z kind of weather Shut up I know the roof is still on

IXQWR3Mh.jpg

This fella was wandering round my house so dropped him back home to his keepers. Probably the fastest car he'll ever be in (don't worry, he wasn't spooked, we didn't go over 30 kmh, the slowest this car has been driven in a while) probably didn't want to sit where the cat normally sits either!

y9cqyKPh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The latest motor - late 181 Reg.

454826.jpg

Nothing special, but nice to be handed the keys to a 318d Auto to waft around in for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I have never seen one of these before, brilliant!

Yea, the guy who had it before me tried to make it a bit like an Elan.

He had a few other bits done too, but I removed them, left this though as I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Noice yak to waftabou in

SPHRa8w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Great car for what it's designed to do

IMG_20180704_133811.jpg

How do you find the 318d engine powerwise? We have a couple of 116d and a 420d, the power difference is quite marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

How do you find the 318d engine powerwise? We have a couple of 116d and a 420d, the power difference is quite marked.

I drove a 316d auto a few weeks ago and it wasn't fantastic...This has enough get up and go for what's required of it. More power would be nice in pretty much anything I've ever driven, but it's more than adequate for what it's going to be used for. Had the same engine in the X1 I was driving for a few months so used to it at this stage, just remembering how nice not having torque steer is.

Engine should open up a bit as well with more mileage on it.

Ours are all auto too, the 116d's are good for what is expected of them but I find them a bit lethargic. We have an X1 on the fleet with a 18d too and it seems like a better overall package just about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Ours are all auto too, the 116d's are good for what is expected of them but I find them a bit lethargic. We have an X1 on the fleet with a 18d too and it seems like a better overall package just about.

My sister recently bought a 316d and I found it dead to drive, tried to persuade her to get the 320d or even the 318 but when do women every listen?

My old 2004 320cd felt quicker.

The brother in law was looking into remapping it, its a 2012 so warranty etc is well gone, anyone ever mapped the 316d? Is it essentially the same engine as the 320d but detuned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

hooch-85 wrote: »
    My sister recently bought a 316d and I found it dead to drive, tried to persuade her to get the 320d or even the 318 but when do women every listen?

My old 2004 320cd felt quicker.

The brother in law was looking into remapping it, its a 2012 so warranty etc is well gone, anyone ever mapped the 316d? Is it essentially the same engine as the 320d but detuned?

Going by some quick google research, it should remap nicely to a much more respectable 180bhp and 400nm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 316d were 115bhp afaik, cannot see you getting 180bhp out them with a basic remap. I'd say 150bhp for a standard software remap would be more realistic. 318d would have been 143bhp and 320d 184bhp. They all shared the same block but the 318d was higher tuned while the 320d had larger injectors, turbo and intercooler afaik.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 316d were 115bhp afaik, cannot see you getting 180bhp out them with a basic remap.

Why not?? Do a quick google and you'll see various sources (tuners and forums) claim that a stage 1 remap results in 180Bhp and 400Nm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're not simply the same engine with the wick turned down, those diesels all have different injectors and injection pressure depending on whether they're 16d, 18d or 20d. Then the 25ds are different again with the extra turbo. You'd be doing well to get a 16d up to 20d levels of power, but it would definitely remap to 18d power and torque handily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just going on what I've found out since I started taking interest again im looking to get my 520d mapped and from reading what peope are saying the 2.0d and 2.5d are pretty much the same setup just different software settings until you go past the 132 reg. The 1.6 and 1.8 are same engine but different pump setup and injectors setup and smaller bore you would be pushing the 1.6 to get it past 150 safely it could be done but would surely be under too much pressure to make it worthwhile.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just going on what I've found out since I started taking interest again im looking to get my 520d mapped and from reading what peope are saying the 2.0d and 2.5d are pretty much the same setup just different software settings until you go past the 132 reg. The 1.6 and 1.8 are same engine but different pump setup and injectors setup and smaller bore you would be pushing the 1.6 to get it past 150 safely it could be done but would surely be under too much pressure to make it worthwhile.

The 520d and 525d are most certainly not the same setup!!

A 525d is either a 3.0 liter 6 cyl Turbo Diesel or a 2.0 4 cyl Twin-Turbo diesel - both vastly more different than just "software settings"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

20180704_163339.jpg

Now Metzgemeister I didn't include 5 acres of Tarmac or a Forest.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ION08 wrote: »
    Why not?? Do a quick google and you'll see various sources (tuners and forums) claim that a stage 1 remap results in 180Bhp and 400Nm

I know these engines are stifled for emissions and power is set within a relatively conservative tolerance level by the manufacturer but I'd still question the longevity of certain original engine components that would be pushed that much up the tolerance scale.

• Advertisement

I know these engines are stifled for emissions and power is set within a relatively conservative tolerance level by the manufacturer but I'd still question the longevity of certain original engine components that would be pushed that much up the tolerance scale.

Longevity and relaibility is a different story altogether - it doesn't mean they cant be mapped to 180bhp + 400nm

Like with any Remap, it will depend if you use the extra power responsibly and how you treat the car after it has been remapped.

But sure, even on standard software BMW's have issues with components (turbos, Timing chains etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Truckermal wrote: »

Now Metzgemeister I didn't include 5 acres of Tarmac or a Forest.!

Tarmac to car ratio still not satisfying, but good play with colours.

7.4/10, would look at it again. :pac:

EGTs would be my primary concern, many Fred in the Shed type remappers often aren't overly concerned about the long term effects :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

A 525d is either a 3.0 litre 6 cyl Turbo Diesel or a 2.0 4 cyl Twin-Turbo diesel - both vastly more different than just "software settings"

This is true in general, but it's worth noting that they're all switching over to twin turbos as more and more models get their technical update (i.e. when the last number in the engine code switches from 0 to 1 - such as B47D20O0 was single turbo, but B47D20O1 is twin turbo).

They're giving them different codes now, so for example the 18d is now B47B while the 20d is B47D (the 25d and six cylinders have not yet received the technical update), so there must still be other differences (e.g. injectors). The 16ds are now B37B instead of B37. The same thing is happening with the petrols - 16i is B38B, 18i is B38C, 20i is B48C and 25i is B48D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

giphy.gif

source.gif

Augeo wrote: »
    EGTs would be my primary concern, many Fred in the Shed type remappers often aren't overly concerned about the long term effects :)

Im no pro when it comes to remapping but afaik EGT limits would only be reached on sustained Wide Open Throttle (WOT) ie. driving the stones out of it, at which point the car should self protect and go into Limp mode.

The general consensus online from many tuners seems to be 180bhp and 400nm for a stage 1 so I doubt that 180bhp is risky “fred in the shed” territory.

If youre serious about getting the 316d remapped, speak to a reputable tuner (ie Joe Power) and get their professional opinion on it.

• Advertisement

[quote="Truckermal;107431831"

Now Metzgemeister I didn't include 5 acres of Tarmac or a Forest.![/quote]

The little light thing looks like the boardsie logo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The little light thing looks like the boardsie logo..

That's a LED Floodlight I replaced all the old Energy guzzling ones earlier in the year!

Im no pro when it comes to remapping but afaik EGT limits would only be reached on sustained Wide Open Throttle (WOT) ie. driving the stones out of it, at which point the car should self protect and go into Limp mode.

The general consensus online from many tuners seems to be 180bhp and 400nm for a stage 1 so I doubt that 180bhp is risky “fred in the shed” territory.

Well diesels are effectively unthrottled so the WOT point is anytime that more diesel fuel is being injected relative to what's needed for the air volume available.

Exceeding it used to give loads of black smoke.... in the days of the DPF that tell tail signal isn't available :) it won't put you in limp mode either I imagine.

My Fred in the shed comment wasn't specifically about the BMW option you detail but if the turbo stays the same and the air volume can't change much than to go from 115 to 180 is a serious enough jump brought about just by increased fueling.

A 525d is either a 3.0 liter 6 cyl Turbo Diesel or a 2.0 4 cyl Twin-Turbo diesel - both vastly more different than just "software settings"

Yeah of course your right I got my numbers wrong it's the 518 and 520 based on same and 525 and 530 up to 132 that were the same.

My bit of work done today

Before
    20180607_155720.jpg

After
    20180704_185844.jpg

Not a hard job to do in the end the longest part of it was removing the center console trim and box between the armrests to tap into the aux into it for the sound.

An easy upgrade to add sat nav and reverse camera to your setup makes the world of difference to the interior.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement