Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pushbike pic(burn it with fire!) :D

Wait, wait....put away the pitchforks!! :p

Beemer with bike on back pic(phew, nice save)
    My first thought on your last pic RB was this:

H2O.jpg

A lifeboatbike, should your main vessel "fail to proceed" and what with all the talk of BMW reliability of late*, it might put potential BumW owners off. :D

Lovely looking car. Gotta love a two door. :) I just realised that save for a brief foray into a four door when my Da bought a Mk 3 Ford Cortina 2000e in the very late 70's, my family and me have never owned a four door. :eek:

*which in my experience anyway is a load of me arse. Those I know with Beemers have had very few problems and those they had were more irritating than major, or terminal. Mercs and Audis on the other hand... They seem they can be a right pain, particularly when past the first flush of youth.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think they are a great looking car, for their era anyway.
    +1 They really stood out at the time as being very different and that IMHO is a good thing for car design. They still stand out even today. It's a very Japanese looking design vibe to it. Couldn't really come from anywhere else, and I like that too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think they are a great looking car, for their era anyway.

Big investment in necessary maintenance last month and this month it's due tax, insurance, NCT and an oil change. If that all goes fairly smoothly I'll be pretty pleased.

Was driving it today and admiring how there's not a rattle or a knock from the chassis or the interior and it sits at 130km/h as comfortably as something far more modern.

Have been keeping it clean with the dry weather.

Have to admit they do still look fresh, the FN2 Type R is a performance bargain at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

It's good to be back, even for just a few weeks :cool:

S1uINV4h.jpg

fMUANUfh.jpg

sRByuMVh.jpg

New lights installed too!

LTH8dD0h.jpg

OI2MRyHh.jpg

WfRwMpCh.jpg

The love is real :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Big day for the old girl
    E803_AB4_C-6_F19-4878-_AB4_D-97_FD4_B11_C527.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

The much hated VAG diesel out for some sun....

Really happy with it. Auto, BOSE sound, heated leather etc

Lovely car, congrats!!
    Would love to see the interiors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Snap on that Colm. Mine ticked over 140,000 on Friday and I missed the photo, was waiting for it for a fortnight or so and I looked down and it was 140,006! Furious!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What's so special about 140k km? Isn't 160 the bigger milestone?(100k miles)

BOSE sound,

On the car snap, very similar to mine

On the Bose, it's such a pity Audi rate them as premium sound. Doesn't match the brand level at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mossym wrote: »
    What's so special about 140k km? Isn't 160 the bigger milestone?(100k miles)

It's just a nice round number on the dash. In my head I view every 10k round number that I pass as a bit of a milestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

On the Bose, it's such a pity Audi rate them as premium sound. Doesn't match the brand level at all

I actually find the BOSE great! Been in a Golf with Dynaudio and a 4 coupe with the audio upgrade (can't remember which brand) and the BOSE in the A6 was every bit as good in my opinion. Massive step up on the stock speakers in my GTD anyway.

Did you hear the BOSE in the A6? It's actually my favourite upgrade in mine.

I actually find the BOSE great! Been in a Golf with Dynaudio and a 4 coupe with the audio upgrade (can't remember which brand) and the BOSE in the A6 was every bit as good in my opinion. Massive step up on the stock speakers in my GTD anyway.

Yup, I've heard it. Not impressed. Well over stock systems it's better, but like most everything from Bose it's mediocre product dressed up in good marketing.

It's a pity b&w are tied up with other makers, I'd love to have the option of their system on an Audi or BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cool, we'll agree to disagree on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mark Levinson

/thread :D

I had a Bose system in the RX8 and 6MPS and thought it was very good. Bass up to the last, turn the volume up and it didn't distort. Have Harmon Kardon in the 330 with Logic7 and it's much, much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

2wgr8kz.jpg

Mark Levinson

I had a Bose system in the RX8 and 6MPS and thought it was very good. Bass up to the last, turn the volume up and it didn't distort. Have Harmon Kardon in the 330 with Logic7 and it's much, much better.

does ML number audio units for cars the same way he does for his home audio gear? they are all just model #xxx

yeah, have heard a couple of the HK tuned units and they were quite good. I'll admit to being anti bode in pretty much everything (their headphones are the least offensive, but still easily bested), but even taking that into account i think their premium tuning is behind most of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nice F11 BN. Identical to my old 525d F11. What year is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wailin wrote: »
    Nice F11 BN. Identical to my old 525d F11. What year is it?

2013 530d

does ML number audio units for cars the same way he does for his home audio gear? they are all just model #xxx

I haven't a clue! My Mark Levinson comment is something that you'd know if you were in the motors forum a few years ago and is attached to a certain Lexus IS 250 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mark Levinson

Just remember lads,
    Speakers perform completely different pending environment they are in.

IN the mk2 fl octavia the stock speakers sounded great, Loads and loads ob Bass, Plenty of Volume and not bad top end, Remember "Stock speakers"
    Take those speakers and fit them to a different VAG based car and they will sound different.

I have a pair of Bose XL4000 speakers at home on my hifi that I compiled in 1992, I can never see me parting with them, absolutely fantastic speakers that would outshine a lot of modern day ones.

• Advertisement

car audio is actually easier for the speaker makers, oem, or premium brand. it's a known environment, same size, same position every time. they can tune for that exact model. that's why i mentioned the tuning above, that's all the premium brands are doing usually, tuning for the specific model. in a previous role i worked on audio electronics and dealt most of the car audio equipment makers, sony,(were in ford at the time) HH, alpine. most of the systems were very similar, just the processing was tuned in most cases.

i might have something at home that i'd put up against those xl4000's and fancy my chances..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Big Nasty wrote: »
    2013 530d

Looks fantastic, and all the better for having the six cylinders, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

i might have something at home that i'd put up against those xl4000's and fancy my chances..:)

:D
    Very likely,
    I can't complain though. £488 (punts ) they cost back in 92,
    And they still sound as good as day one, The guy in the store was trying to sell me the acoustimass cube speakers but the sounded better to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Treated her to a wash and wax for her 18th birthday.

9szehd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Treated her to a wash and wax for her 18th birthday.

[IMG][/img]

Those plates won't pass an NCT :D:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tossy wrote: »
    Those plates won't pass an NCT :D:pac::D

It's like the matrix went mad on just the plate.

Car not washed in 4 weeks with the water restrictions. Broke a cardinal rule and brought it to a local mobile car wash/valet bunch who did a great job. No brushes used, car hand dried and wheels dressed, for €10.

42777511994_a7d5f30be7_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you serious...

I wouldn't feel right paying someone €10 after doing all the work you described.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They pay water rates. Feel bad about nothing.

• Advertisement

I often wonder gots these guys make money, there’s a place across the road from me, two guys washing cars, they spend ages on them and do a really good job for €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My local place does it for €7 hand wash with proper gear no brushes hand dry, dress the tyres clean sills and doors. Clean all the glass. Can't say I have ever felt bad about them charging that its not up to me to decide they are charging too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

CIP4 wrote: »
    My local place does it for €7 hand wash with proper gear no brushes hand dry, dress the tyres clean sills and doors. Clean all the glass. Can't say I have ever felt bad about them charging that its not up to me to decide they are charging too little.

They aren't always working for themselves. The lad scrubbing your car might see a few euros out of that €7

I agree with wotz tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Callan road? If so I use them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Same around here two sets of eastern Europeans at the two local applegreens €7 handwash (no brushes) and dry and they do a fine job. They'll do a hand wash on its own for a fiver. Sound bucks too.

They've a queue of cars everytime I've passed them. Takes them 30min for standard wash like they did to mine. Charge €20 for interior and exterior which takes them 40min as one does interior while the other exterior. They make their money on volume. And yes they got a tip.

• Advertisement

The cynic in me always thinks they’re a Walter White operation.

2 weeks more on the hosepipe ban right? the announced one at least. surely to be extended give the lack of any rainfall...car needs a wash badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

2 weeks more on the hosepipe ban right? the announced one at least. surely to be extended give the lack of any rainfall...car needs a wash badly.

I haven't seen a closed for business sign on a single car wash place yet!

neither have i, but doesn't mean my car is going into one!!!

What people don't seem to be aware of is the fact that the ban only applies to domestic hose pipes. They can't exactly ask these businesses to close down and not pay wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What people don't seem to be aware of is the fact that the ban only applies to domestic hose pipes. They can't exactly ask these businesses to close down and not pay wages.

Yup!

Having said that since I bought my bangernomics three months ago it hasn't seen so much as a sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Wailin wrote: »
    Car not washed in 4 weeks with the water restrictions. Broke a cardinal rule and brought it to a local mobile car wash/valet bunch who did a great job. No brushes used, car hand dried and wheels dressed, for €10.

Where is this?!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Where is this?!

Palmerstown/Liffey valley area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hit over 400k couple of weeks ago.

34sgg93.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well overdue wash

20180719_131944.jpg

20180719_131647.jpg

Got this a while ago now, I'm very pleased with it

456217.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Congos, it looks massive! Well wear
    Augeo wrote: »
    Got this a while ago now, I'm very pleased with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Congos

:confused: WTF did i just read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Congrats + autocorrect on the phone perhaps? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hit over 400k couple of weeks ago.

34sgg93.jpg

How do you keep the red so Well? It's spotless. What kind of engine?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement