Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What a Beauty! But I would say that, wouldn't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

tossy wrote: »
    Well wear with the R, i find DCC makes some difference between the different set ups, i couldn't describe it as soft when in race mode. In fact there aren't many backroads around me where i can even put it in race mode.

Make sure you join one of the R forums , loads of good info to be had. The first thing i discovered was there's a little bag of silica gel in the coolant expansion tank (apparently lots of manufacturers are at this now - it's meant to extend the life of the coolant) there are reports of these bags breaking and the silica gel getting into the system and clogging it up resulting in big bills! Never heard such codology in my life. Anyway i fished mine out last night.

I made sure to disconnect the bottom coolant pipe from the bottle before doing it - as if it breaks while it's coming out you're screwed.

Thanks very much , I’ll give that a try ...
    The koni’s are fully adjustable so I set them a little harder this morning and it’s a good improvement . It’s not so much that it was soft for a golf just softer than I expected for a performance car ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Well wear with the R, i find DCC makes some difference between the different set ups, i couldn't describe it as soft when in race mode. In fact there aren't many backroads around me where i can even put it in race mode.

Make sure you join one of the R forums , loads of good info to be had. The first thing i discovered was there's a little bag of silica gel in the coolant expansion tank (apparently lots of manufacturers are at this now - it's meant to extend the life of the coolant) there are reports of these bags breaking and the silica gel getting into the system and clogging it up resulting in big bills! Never heard such codology in my life. Anyway i fished mine out last night.

I made sure to disconnect the bottom coolant pipe from the bottle before doing it - as if it breaks while it's coming out you're screwed.

IMG-1552.jpg

Never knew that existed, I would have done the same had I known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Neilw wrote: »
    Never knew that existed, I would have done the same had I known.

Has to be the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a while. that little bag has caused some serious damage in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Got my silica bag removed last week as well, what a stupid system, how did they think that it wouldn't deteriorate and break down over time is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Do they take responsibility if it does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Surely if it breaks while in the coolant tank it's a design flaw and the damage shouldn't be covered by the owner :confused:

OSI wrote: »
    Like a lifetime chain stretching, or a known engine fault starting a fire? Lol....

Touché good sir :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Badly in need of a detailing now...

front-e39.jpg

rear-e39.jpg

Got the wheels refurbished by Wheel Wizards during the week and I'm honestly gobsmacked at the quality of the finish, no wonder they've got such a good reputation.

http://i.imgur.com/7xwVxTB.jpg

The whole car looks smashing now apart from the wheel nuts. You can get plastic covers to go over them cheap enough on ebay. I wouldn't bother painting them because the job will be undone when you tighten them back on. A new set are wickedly expensive too from what I remember, c. £90!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The whole car looks smashing now apart from the wheel nuts. You can get plastic covers to go over them cheap enough on ebay. I wouldn't bother painting them because the job will be undone when you tighten them back on. A new set are wickedly expensive too from what I remember, c. £90!

I got Febi ones for a euro or two a nut in my friendly local motor factors when I changed the 16s to 17s.

I got Febi ones for a euro or two a nut in my friendly local motor factors when I changed the 16s to 17s.

Much better price. How did they stand up to wheel cleaners and the elements in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Much better price. How did they stand up to wheel cleaners and the elements in general?

They are on the E36 so I can't say. But Febi are OEM so make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

They are on the E36 so I can't say. But Febi are OEM so make of that what you will.

I'm open to correction but I have never heard of Febi having an OEM contract with anyone? they would be regarded as a re-boxer of mediocre parts generally.
    Id be surprised if they obtained any sort of supply contract

I will make of that what I will so I will :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Cheers MM, yeah they're a bit past it alright, I assume I'd have to go to BMW for the locking wheel nut though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Cheers MM, yeah they're a bit past it alright, I assume I'd have to go to BMW for the locking wheel nut though?

Don't bother, I got a new set of locking nuts from BMW for my E46 a few years ago for about €30. The next time I got tyres, the lock part broke. Do people still steal wheels off cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

high horse wrote: »
    Don't bother, I got a new set of locking nuts from BMW for my E46 a few years ago for about €30. The next time I got tyres, the lock part broke. Do people still steal wheels off cars?

Yes, mirrors, panels and exhausts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

high horse wrote: »

I'd wonder if they were over tightened or similar... I've had the BMW lock nuts on mine for a long long time and had them off often enough without issue.

That being said, you can go on ebay and for about 20 quid you can buy all the keys for the lock nuts that BMW do (or at least you can for cars up to e60 generation). I don't think anyone would be out looking for MV2's, even if they are beautifully restored, they are not in any kind of demand these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I think it's to be dry for a few days so gave it a quick and badly needed wash yesterday

473202.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another milestone imminent...

2qd274h.jpg

... and still not a bother on her. Fantastic machine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is it an A6 or an A8 you’re driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is it an A6 or an A8 you’re driving?

2010 A6 (3.0 TDI Quattro)

De chromed...

IMG-1678.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Did you split the headlights too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    2010 A6 (3.0 TDI Quattro)

Nice one, miss both of my C6 A6’..great cars!

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Did you split the headlights too?

No just dark lighting :D I don't have balls that big lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

No just dark lighting :D I don't have balls that big lol

Well wear Tossy Trendline or Comfortline....:P

Truckermal wrote: »
    Well wear Tossy Trendline or Comfortline....:P

Trendline Mal , blue motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Trendline Mal , blue motion.

Ah you will dicky her up well though..:D lovely car though I'd love a hot hatch at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Tossy, how do find it compared to the S3?

Tossy, how do find it compared to the S3?

The Dynamic chassis control sets it apart for me, it can go from a very comfortable cruiser to very capable backroads car. It's not as nice a place to sit without the wingbacks though, they are probably the second most comfortable car seat i've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

De chromed...

But, the badge.... :p

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got the car back last Tuesday but was away on Holidays from Wednesday to Sunday, it was back to daily duty on Monday :cool: Delighted with the job, will leave it gas out a bit and then go at it myself polishing and coating. She just ticked over 150,000 miles this week too. I should be doing an oil and filters change Saturday along with the front discs and pads and new expansion tank all going well :pac:

T9oqahxh.jpg

xy1ULqYh.jpg

nbk2pAYh.jpg

3HAIYt6h.jpg

DcfL5kSh.jpg

HubErIXh.jpg

bkjZHBJh.jpg

Pi4na4Bh.jpg

MEbe6V6h.jpg

DMtc3Euh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Did you get the wheels painted too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

rex-x wrote: »
    Did you get the wheels painted too?

Yeah I did, they were fairly well kerbed all round.

Looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Delighted for you FN, hope to finally see (and hear) it at a show this summer :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

E39 sports are really aging well, beautiful car FN

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd wonder if they were over tightened or similar... I've had the BMW lock nuts on mine for a long long time and had them off often enough without issue.
    While lock nuts can bind up like any other nut, if the tyre fitter places use the oul air gun yoke on them it's nearly guaranteed to bugger them up. They over tighten them and distort the socket the socket key goes onto. They must be hand tightened, preferably with a torque spanner to the recommended levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lumpy_Custard

Picked this up last night - with a Cork-Dublin commute looming, I figured I needed a diesel. Might as well do it in some style.

150bhp, NCT'd 'til June and a folder full of receipts from Ti Autos.

€900...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Christ Lumpy, that's a helluva lot of car for 900 quid. :eek: Leather interior and looking like the mutt's nuts too. Well may you wear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Christ Lumpy, that's a helluva lot of car for 900 quid. :eek: Leather interior and looking like the mutt's nuts too. Well may you wear.

Cheers Wibbs - yep, I effectively stole it...

The guy's downgrading, and said he's resigned to the fact he's going to hate his next car. Poor lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

900 euro....holy crap thats a bargain.

900 euro....holy crap thats a bargain.

Took her for a good spin yesterday - coming from a Twin Spark, the torque is insane. Granted, the only other diesel I've driven with any regularity is a B5 Passat - a weighty barge in comparison, but a comfortable cruiser.

Nice to not be at 3k revs at 60mph too, the extra gear is very handy.

I've got the 156 tucked away for the odd weekend blast, don't think I'll ever part with it. It's worth next to nothing now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Recent spit polish for the old girl. Starting to push on now!

mondeo-19.png

Took her for a good spin yesterday - coming from a Twin Spark, the torque is insane. Granted, the only other diesel I've driven with any regularity is a B5 Passat - a weighty barge in comparison, but a comfortable cruiser.

Nice to not be at 3k revs at 60mph too, the extra gear is very handy.

I've got the 156 tucked away for the odd weekend blast, don't think I'll ever part with it. It's worth next to nothing now anyway.
    Hang onto the 156 as long as you can. Very cool looking and driving car. Even if values were going mad, I'd still say hold onto it. And your latest for 900 squids? You're kinda living the dream aren't you? You jammy prick ya. :D
    Recent spit polish for the old girl. Starting to push on now!
    Great car, love those wheels, but 08 is pushing on now is it NM? Damned whippersnappers *shakes crutch* :D Here's mine from a decade before. In sepia daguerreotype befitting its age...

473834.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Before and after.
    New plates and surrounds, new grills and LED angel eyes

suui36.jpg

The Grilles look great, totally changes the look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That Autohaus place is selling loads of cars, seeing their plate surrounds everywhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement