Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ah the Mk2 Avensis is a grand old yoke for low maintenance. Nothing goes wrong with them, which is more than can be said for anything German.

The 1.8 is fine compared to the rubbish small petrols and diesels most people have but obviously it's as dead as a do-do if you're used to something faster.

The brakes are rubbish in them (that's a standard feature), the steering is feel free and is overly light (that also comes as standard) but they're actually a good handling car and the VVTi is a revvy little unit, the gearbox is quite nice in them apart from the long throw. They're leaps and bounds ahead of older Toyotas to drive but if you're used to a BMW or something sporty (like I am) it's a big culture shock.

They're comfortable as well, fine and quiet and the ride is excellent but yeah the seats aren't great in them.

Try running it on 10W40 if it's fond of a drop of oil. We've got a 1.8 VVTi in the family and it was going through 5W30 at quite a rate, since we switched to 10W40 it's hardly using anything.

We've had our 2005 one since brand new and there's 193,000 miles on it now, it's needed a gearbox, clutch, wheel bearings and there was a problem with a coil once as well but it's been pretty much fault free otherwise, everything else that's gone on it was just usual wear and tear stuff like tyres, pads etc.

It was the pick of the bunch for anything of that vintage! Ticks all the right boxes: plenty available, cheap to buy, not much to go wrong and relatively modern (by my standards)

There was no way I was going to buy some lawnmower engined dishwasher as a stopgap car however I don't feel confident overtaking with it under certain applications, but it's not meant to be driven fast, or hard. Just in a leisurely manner I find; I'll happily accept that. I'm expecting a wallop of extra power high in the rev band that isn't there, hence I never drive it hard as there's no point. Having said that it's leaps and bounds over a 2003 D4D Avensis I used to regularly drive which was slower again (a dead auld c*nt of a yoke!)

It isn't as maneuverable as the C220 but I am aware FWD will never be as versatile in tight spaces. I can fire it into corners, but it isn't happy about it. It kind of lumbers around in the bends and I find the steering masks feedback due to it's light nature. It did step out in the wet when I first got it, caused by lift off oversteer coupled with Austone tyres which were immediately binned for a set of Pirellis I had lying around. No more wet problems! Gearbox was replaced at some stage with one from a 1.6VVTI along with the n/s driveshaft, the gears actually feel precise compared to any manual Merc with the vague slow input and I have adopted clutchless driving once again as a result. I did look into shoving in a 6 speed from a Celica for the laugh, but would not make economic sense when not keeping the car. Brakes are quite crap compared to what I'm used to but seeing as I never drive it aggressively/harsh they do the job well :)

The seats could have more adjustment, a huge letdown. I have genuinely tried dozens of positions and just don't feel snug when driving which is a pity as it is quite pleasant inside the very spacious cabin with lots of handy features otherwise. Having said that, I had an E11 Corolla which was so hateful in so many ways I actually quite liked it a lot. I had Celica seats to wang in but the engine fired a rod out before I could fit them and forgot about the seats until I sadly let the car go earlier this year :( I may use them as office seats instead!

I debated running 10w40 but seeing as it was so poorly maintained in the past I decided fully synth 5w30 with Lucas stabilizer and a hot soak was the way forward for now. I won't be keeping this car long enough to warrant another oil change as progress is being made fast on my next old daily driver, even though in the 3 weeks I've had this car I've put up over 1500 miles :D needless to say, despite what I've done it still burns oil averaging 1 litre per 1k miles and will occasionally puff out blue smoke on take off :o

I've only put service parts into it and whatever handy second hand stuff I've had lying about (bulbs, fuses, tyres etc). The main expense so far is running it but seeing that it regularly averages 44mpg per tank (once it hit 48.1) it isn't as expensive as I had anticipated initially

I would genuinely buy another one again but would go for the 2.0 or 2.4 petrols (I am aware they're not the most common in miserable tax obsessed consumer land and may give HG trouble to begin with) over the diesels

I would finish off by saying it was better than I expected, I'll put up more pics of it in due time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

OSI wrote: »
    Our old 850R is the one car from my childhood I'd be happy to buy off whoever currently owns it, if it's still alive at all. It's the car that started my love of all things motor driven. Edit: No NCT in 4 years. Probably dead :(

Your dad had good taste, what was the reg of it and what colour was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

dar_cool wrote: »
    Its an 850 t5r, but yes james may did wreck one on top gear. Painful to watch that was!!

Class car has a 850t5 manual estate in dark green like yours, sound epic!

davycc wrote: »
    Class car has a 850t5 manual estate in dark green like yours, sound epic!

I bought that off you ðŸ˜. Remember cutting it out on the test drive ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

dar_cool wrote: »
    I bought that off you ðŸ˜. Remember cutting it out on the test drive ha ha

Still got sleep tremors over it! Sorry I forgot your username, glad to hear the beast is still going strong , if your selling it p.m.me a friend is looking to buy it ,

Where you driving up the naul road between m50 and airport?'i seen an identical one at the lights a few weeks ago I was in a battered old e34 touring

davycc wrote: »
    Still got sleep tremors over it! Sorry I forgot your username, glad to hear the beast is still going strong , if your selling it p.m.me a friend is looking to buy it ,

Where you driving up the naul road between m50 and airport?'i seen an identical one at the lights a few weeks ago I was in a battered old e34 touring
    Unfortunately this isn't the same car. I went mad on that, bigger turbo, intercooler etc. It.blew 2 gearboxes and eventually I broke it for parts. This is a proper t5r I bought in england a few years back. No I havent had it on the road at all this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Here I will take your minds off the bickering......

New to me, Loaded 142 m4....been working up to this one for many years
    You weren't in Howth this evening?....spotted an M4 the same colour (albeit with different wheels) on yellow plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

bear1 wrote: »
    A **** box it appears.
    B6 Passat. Causing me nothing but grief.

Sounds exactly like the one I had. POS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What a day

IMG_20170718_114232_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

350km covered in the last 12 hours..windscreen got it good too. Detailers look away now

35612675180_045ded66ac_c.jpg

35190677003_ce24a580f4_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Gave her a quick wash after work yesterday evening..

0Gk34JH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Voodoo that video is absolutely brilliant. Car looks amazing and it was always a lovely car to begin with.

The new owner is getting a fabulous machine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd love to see a vid of the other Beemer :)
    Must be hard knowing you won't have it anymore.
    A before and after thread would be interesting to see.

Cheers, I've been meaning to stick up a video of the E66 for a while. It's doing a wedding this weekend so will likely pop something up next week as she's looking well.

• Advertisement

I couldn't tell properly but the buttons below the rear seats are for listening to the radio via headphones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

As a lot of you I'm sure did the same with the fine weather, I gave the R a quick clean, have to give it a proper going over soon though
    lvULCPc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Took the s line up to Wicklow. Roads made for it.

IMG_5419.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

:pac:

No car was more out of place on the day :)

2eolftv.jpg

Still had great fun warbling around the place. 5 Cylinder sounded great on the home straight. Any car can be fun if you drive it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

2.4 non turbo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Taken (not by myself) on a little road trip I par-took in on Sunday...

20157724_1616539091698999_1345157085645875260_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Taken (not by myself) on a little road trip I par-took in on Sunday...

Hang on here a minute is that a meet???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

166man wrote: »

Still had great fun warbling around the place. 5 Cylinder sounded great on the home straight. Any car can be fun if you drive it right.

It was so funny and surprisingly quick man!
    It was so amazing to see an s40 pulling past st170's and ss3 celicas :)
    Staying with my car on the straights!
    Car of the day :D

Joe.. you're ****ed.

YbFocus wrote: »
    It was so funny and surprisingly quick man!
    It was so amazing to see an s40 pulling past st170's and ss3 celicas :)
    Staying with my car on the straights!
    Car of the day :D

It handled the day surprisingly well! It was nippy enough and took a few by surprise. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, obviously its an S40 with a suit jacket hanging up but I was quite proud of it!

Climate control and Lionel Ritchie all the way!

2.4 non turbo ?

Sorry, yeah non turbo only 170bhp odd or something like that. Nice little engine though and 13k km its been perfectly reliable.

There's a lot to be said for old school tech and none of these complicated newer turbocharged yokes. :)

Sorry, yeah non turbo only 170bhp odd or something like that. Nice little engine though and 13k km its been perfectly reliable.

There's a lot to be said for old school tech and none of these complicated newer turbocharged yokes. :)

Ah nice. Theres one for sale on DD for 2.4k, was debating whether to look at it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Ah nice. Theres one for sale on DD for 2.4k, was debating whether to look at it or not.

Shur its a Mondeo chassis! Cant go wrong :-)

Probably my one! Meant to take it down - taxed it again and going to drive it for another few months yet.

It's a great daily car and can make you giggle with the stainless exhaust. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Probably my one! Meant to take it down - taxed it again and going to drive it for another few months yet.

I've seen yours on Facebook and it looks like a candidate for sleeper of the year. Love the colour, same as my (unwashed and unloved) S60.

Yep that must the one :) I actually noticed it was took down just after I mentioned it above and said to myself "wtf, as soon as I mention it on here its gone" :pac:

I've seen yours on Facebook and it looks like a candidate for sleeper of the year. Love the colour, same as my (unwashed and unloved) S60.

Appreciate the comments lads. Ah 'tis a good little car, a good example of how the Irish tax system affects these cars. You have that lovely E36 is that right?

Yep that must the one :) I actually noticed it was took down just after I mentioned it above and said to myself "wtf, as soon as I mention it on here its gone" :pac:

Yeah must have been mine! I'm a sucker for old school character :pac:

It handled the day surprisingly well! It was nippy enough and took a few by surprise. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, obviously its an S40 with a suit jacket hanging up but I was quite proud of it!

Climate control and Lionel Ritchie all the way!

No no it was a real experience watching it lap the track, the car looked fantastic, the crisp lines you were taking etc.
    It is a lovely colour, non of this PCP 50 shades of grey crap, it was really keeping great pace with some very noteworthy machinery.
    You caught and passed the Cayman S over about 5 laps as I looked on.

On track I only slightly had you, if I was to buy something in the morning it would be the wonderful 166man s40.

I'm not talking it up or anything sorry now, just was a pleasure meeting your good self and your great taste in cars as always!

bear1 wrote: »
    I couldn't tell properly but the buttons below the rear seats are for listening to the radio via headphones?

No they're A/V in and out for the TV mode only. Kind of like selecting AV on your TV. Plus you can output it to another screen if you want. :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    No no it was a real experience watching it lap the track, the car looked fantastic, the crisp lines you were taking etc.
    It is a lovely colour, non of this PCP 50 shades of grey crap, it was really keeping great pace with some very noteworthy machinery.
    You caught and passed the Cayman S over about 5 laps as I looked on.

On track I only slightly had you, if I was to buy something in the morning it would be the wonderful 166man s40.

I'm not talking it up or anything sorry now, just was a pleasure meeting your good self and your great taste in cars as always!

Haha you're a gas man! Great to see there's still a sense of humour around here :pac:

On a serious note - your E36 was brilliant on track. To be fair all the cars there were of a high standard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Appreciate the comments lads. Ah 'tis a good little car, a good example of how the Irish tax system affects these cars. You have that lovely E36 is that right?

Yeah must have been mine! I'm a sucker for old school character :pac:

Thanks, that's mine alright, still a bit of tidying up to do but it will be off the road again after the summer and I'll spend the winter getting it ready for next year for a few show and shines I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CapriDan

2eolftv.jpg

Great looking car 166man. Nice to see one that isn't 1.6D and those 5 pots sound glorious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

It's funny what an extra cylinder can do to a car. That Volvo sounded amazing going around the track with a soundtrack from an 80s Group B rally :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

So, I refrained from joining in on the civic love-in last week, mainly because of the following:

Returned from holiday at the end of June to find the car completely dead.
    Got car jumped and drove back home, battery dead again two days later.
    New battery & service, €220

Two days later, car was rear ended by a fella in a car park.
    Back to garage, slight dent on bootlid but underneath looked ok and no structural damage.

As the guy was extremely apologetic and accepted liability and passed over full insurance details, after the inspection (my local garage done for free) I decided not to bother with any repairs, as most people wouldn't even spot any damage and I couldn't justify screwing the poor fella for a new bootlid and paint match - Good karma and all that right?

Sure as ****, just last week radio stopped working, then all electrics started acting up:
    Lost central locking
    Rear boot latch wouldn't open
    Speedo would reset to MPH when ignition switched off
    Gauges wouldn't reset when ignition switched off (fuel gauge and tach needle would sit wherever they were when they last had power)

Local garage couldn't help, auto electrician couldn't help, had to go to Honda service specialist.

Result? 20c coin in CD slot blew the radio, and was shorting the electrical system, and the aircon relay was draining the battery.
    Bill €130, but can't recommend Judges Ballina enough, they had never heard of anything like this before and had the root cause and issue fixed in a couple of hours.

So, today treated her to full wash & polish, and WD-40 is the dog's for the exhaust ports.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/584530/423026.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If we're regaling in Mk8 Civic electrical woe tales, mine, without fail every morning, decides that the ABS simply must be active for the first 5 minutes continuously. As in, every touch of the brakes brings the rumble. After 5 minutes the ABS/VSA warning lights come on, which at this point is better than them being off...

Should really get that fixed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Well, at least with mine it was user inflicted (well, user's 5 year old most likely)... The car hasn't missed a beat since I bought it two years ago, so to have all that in the space of a couple of weeks was maddening.

Still, all good now, a trash along the backroads and I've forgiven it.

My pug wagon on the other hand, had it's NCT today and failed in the most spectacular fashion, so in the market for a new banger. :pac:

Can see the dirt on the wheels even from this angle...

http://i.imgur.com/BdaMJ0h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Nice civics lads!

@Skylinehead - Would you ever consider installing a set of fog lights? I'd love a set myself.

job seeker wrote: »
    Nice civics lads!

@Skylinehead - Would you ever consider installing a set of fog lights? I'd love a set myself.

I've looked at just about everything you can get, fogs/exhausts/whatever, only got the grille done. They're fairly expensive for what you get, unless you harvest from a scrapyard maybe, and I won't be doing it now, will probably sell the car in the next few months for something with more poke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

OSI wrote: »
    Based on the MK2 Focus chassis as well which is considered a great drive. It's basically a softer Focus ST.

But without the necessary turbo. It's just an expensive motor to tax, with less power and performance than the 2.0T engine.

I've looked at just about everything you can get, fogs/exhausts/whatever, only got the grille done. They're fairly expensive for what you get, unless you harvest from a scrapyard maybe, and I won't be doing it now, will probably sell the car in the next few months for something with more poke.

Ah I see. Ah, I totally agree with you about the price of stuff. Sounds good, any idea what you'll replace it with?

job seeker wrote: »
    Ah I see. Ah, I totally agree with you about the price of stuff. Sounds good, any idea what you'll replace it with?

C200
    E92 320i
    RX8
    Leon FR
    GTI
    Clio 197
    Type R of the same model Civic I have
    Accord

Those have all gone through my head at some point in the last year. Still no closer to deciding :pac:

C200
    E92 320i
    RX8
    Leon FR
    GTI
    Clio 197
    Type R of the same model Civic I have
    Accord

Those have all gone through my head at some point in the last year. Still no closer to deciding :pac:

This! :cool:

That's what I want to buy next, but I will hold onto my current civic for another 5 years.

I wouldn't mind one, but maybe something different. I was looking pretty heavily at RX8s but the finances weren't great afterwards, bit better now so maybe...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement