Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coombe or Holles St?

Options
  • 13-02-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend one or the other, in particular with hyperemesis or hypothyroidism? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Well the Coombe were the first to start treating people with hyperemesis in he last few years with Cariban with he other hospitals gradually following suit. Both good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Which one is closer to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Coombe has parking which is handy. I'd a great experience there but you'll get people with positives and negatives for both. I haven't heard of as much overcrowding in wards in the Coombe as i have in HS

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Brioscai

January, they are both quite accessible. But I don't know anyone that has been to the Coombe. I have heard that they are much better for dealing with HG.

Polydactyl, I had heard that about the Coombe. I know now that as a result of them, GPs and HS are now prescribing Cariban. Would you recommend them? Even pm me, thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks Angeldelight, the parking is definitely handier. Do you know if the Coombe do early transfer home?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I think the areas for early transfer home are hospital specific so you may want to see what hospitals cover your area if it's something you're interested in. I was told I could only avail of that if I attended Holles St because of where I live. Now I had been intending on going there anyway so it didn't affect me but might be worth checking out if it is something you're considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Brioscai wrote: »
    Thanks Angeldelight, the parking is definitely handier. Do you know if the Coombe do early transfer home?

They do, but as Cakerbaker said, you need to be in the catchment area for your hospital. I do know the Coombe has larger labour suites, and generally more room (it also has a birthing pool if you're able to use it)
    I'm doing Domino there for the second time, no complaints.

Thanks CakerBaker. I'll check that out. It's not a deal breaker though if I did have to stay but worth considering.

I was in the Coombe in 2010 and had an amazing experience. Would have no problem recommending them. I was on a 4 bed public ward after birth. The delivery room was huge too. If you want to leave early that's totally up to you, once doc will sign you and baby off you can leave as quickly as you wish, the only drawback is that you won't have a midwife visit you at home for the few days afterwards if you're not in the catchment area for it.

• Advertisement

Thank you OlaOla, what you've written sounds very positive.

Thank you January. That too sounds really positive! I think that I am out of the catchment, but I think that I could handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had a baby in the coombe last January 2015. Cannot recommend it enough. Really well looked after. Postnatal was a bit mental 5 of us on a 6 bed ward and the staff ratios aren't fantastic I felt but was out in 48hrs and I will definitely go back. My sister is there now and they are being very good for her too. We both had issues in pregnancy (High blood pressure, growth restrictions, low fluid and she has developed a heart condition). They made us feel very secure and safe. Both public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm on my second in holles street and cannot fault it this time or last, postnatal wards busy alright but the staff were brilliant. I felt so safe there and wouldn't consider going anywhere else when I found out I was pregnant on #2.

I attended/attend the thyroid clinic, monitored regularly and post natal they kept an eye on me and baby in the clinic until she was about 6 weeks.

There seems to be so little between HS and the Coombe that if you can't decide whichever is closest would be your best bet. You'll get people who'll love Holles Street and an equal amount who love the Coombe to be honest!

Mirrorwall14, it seems like you both had a very tough time through the pregnancies. I'm so glad that everything went well for you and that they are looking after your sister so well. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Digs, thank you so much. I have not heard of anyone being treated for thyroid there. I'm a bit worried as my last pregnancy, the care was very poor in HS in the early stages (on several visits). Their midwife service was amazing though. I'm afraid that if I end up with the regular clinics, it will be similar to my early pregnancy experiences. I need to hear positive experiences! It is great to hear recent good experiences.

I think that I may ring both on Monday and try to see what their services are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Brioscai wrote: »
    Digs, thank you so much. I have not heard of anyone being treated for thyroid there. I'm a bit worried as my last pregnancy, the care was very poor in HS in the early stages (on several visits). Their midwife service was amazing though. I'm afraid that if I end up with the regular clinics, it will be similar to my early pregnancy experiences. I need to hear positive experiences! It is great to hear recent good experiences.

I think that I may ring both on Monday and try to see what their services are like.

Oh no problem. I had my daughter in 2013 and to be honest while I had no problems last time round I have noticed a change in how efficiently their clinics are run this time. My appointments are Tuesday mornings and there are barely any queues and everything runs like clockwork. My apt last tues was 8:30am and I was at my desk at 9am (bare in mind I work 5 mins away!!)

The midwives clinic might be an option for you. I know one of the midwives who works there and she said Hazel who runs the midwife clinic is fantastic, I actually met Hazel on my first visit and she was great, very personable. Going with the midwives is still an option if you've a thyroid problem.

Dr Foley ran the thyroid clinic on my first pregnancy but he's since retired, I'm not too sure who running it now actually.

Definitely ring and check it out, I can understand why you'd be apprehensive this time round if #1 was less than satisfactory!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Had to file a complaint due to negligence in the Coombe.

Even if I wasn't mistreated, I still cannot fathom how people rave about the place. Really and truly one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

PLL wrote:
    Even if I wasn't mistreated, I still cannot fathom how people rave about the place. Really and truly one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

I also had a bad experience in the Coombe. Now I miscarried but just didn't feel very well looked after. I just wouldn't be able to go back there.
    And while people say there is car parking. The carpark is BRUTAL! I ended up queuing for ages every time I had to go.
    Holles St has LOADS of off street parking. And once you sign up for the parking app on your phone you can top up your parking charge from your phone.

But there will be people who've had good and bad experiences in both. I'd go for whichever is easiest to get to.

Carparking in the coombe is really dependent on you booking the earliest time you can for your booking appointments! I guess everyone has different experiences. I would also say that no matter where you go, stay on top of your chart. Push for discussion until you understand everything. If in doubt ask. I have family in healthcare and they all say, know what is happening. If that requires talking, questions or even shouting until someone listens-do that!

Edit: To say, I'm probably understating post natal. Its the part that I really hated. I felt unsupported and treated like a child. I'm hoping that I have a
    "normal" birth if I go again and can push for a quicker release. Last time the baby was on 48hr hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Every hospital will have its horror stories and people who highly recommend it. I was in Holles street. It was fine, there's things I liked and disliked and I echo the advice to stay on top of your chart and ask questions or for second opinions if you're not happy. If I have another I'll go back to Holles street because the location suited me and I know the place. Post natal care can be hit and miss though, unless you're fully private. I found the wards manic.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

4 years ago this week we had twins severely premature in the combe. I'm sure baby's would of been looked after just as well in holles street but the care mammy and daddy were given for the 6 weeks our boys were in intensive care was excellent. It was little things like the parking on campus and while our lads were in ICU the parking was free. They help us parents so much. Thankfully both survived and are perfectly healthy.
    So if something bad happened how would you cope spending all day in holles street and have to run out every couple of hours to move the car and pay for more parking for maybe a month??

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've inky had one baby and I had her in the Coombe may last year and couldn't fault them. I was high risk, admitted a few times pre delivery and once post delivery and I only encountered one staff member who I found incredibly rude. My care and treatment was fantastic too, couldn't fault it. They wanted to treat me for my thyroid but I actually work with my endocrinologist so I opted to stay with him as it was convenient. We're also out of the catchment area for the early discharge but I had the baby on Monday afternoon and we were home Thursday afternoon so wasn't too bad! Like others have mentioned, the aftercare was not the best. While the staff were great, there just wasn't enough! I know loads that have gone to holles st and had great experiences!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The coombe. Had two emergency c-sections there and the care was faultless. I also had hyperemisis and a number of admissions anti-natally. The midwives are also very helpful with breastfeeding and non-judgemental if you decide to bottle feed.

Semi-private first time and public care second. The public care was just as good and the room I was in may as well have been semi-private,only 2 other patients with me.

Got scanned on every visit by the consultant also. As someone else said if you make an early appointment parking is fine. It can be a bit of a nightmare to get in later on in the day but then later in the day in dublin city parking is a disaster also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think everyone is going to have good/bad stories about each hospital. Prob best to make an objective decision based on your requirements, and how well each hospital meets them?

Thank you all so, so much for your very helpful responses. I think hearing about other peoples experiences has helped so much. I think that I need to look at it all objectively, and weigh it all up as you say OlaOla. Thank you all every one of you for your experiences. I really appreciate that you took the time to help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I'm different, we had our first in mount carmel and our second almost there, it closed 2 weeks before she arrived. When it closed we had to decide on which hospital to transfer to, primarily between the Coombe and holles street.

I've had a number of friends who've had babies in holles street and no one spoke poorly of it but no one spoke highly of it either. I knew no one who had been to the Coombe

For me it came down to their labour management policies, I know no one can force you to do anything but each hospital has policies it follows and I choose the Coombe based on this. They were excellent, delivery room was huge, midwife was very supportive. Post natal care was hit and miss, had to stay in for 4 days as baby was in special care and on antibiotics. Staff in scbu were amazing.

After discharge the baby had to attend the clinic twice and that was fine too. Parking can be a pain but it's handy to have it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

10 extra babies on the neonatal unit?! 10?!! WTF? Thats waaaaaay too many over. Thats 27.8% too many babies on the ward. I really really hope they had 30% extra staff on the ward too or that is just incredible

• Advertisement

10 extra babies on the neonatal unit?! 10?!! WTF? Thats waaaaaay too many over. Thats 27.8% too many babies on the ward. I really really hope they had 30% extra staff on the ward too or that is just incredible

You can bet they didn't. You can also bet if they had of turned any of those ten babies away and something had happened there'd have been uproar too, what were they supposed to do?

Advertisement