Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 8 laptop not connecting wifi

Options
  • 13-02-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi today laptop shows unable to find connections. Wifi is on and I have mobile connected. Message is ...no connections are available.". There is a connection available. I tried all morning to run scan now ....eventually after googling I went into command prompt end enabled some setting ...I got the scan now going...after a long while it completed and said it found corrupt files ..and fixed.
    I rebooted and still same connection none...message...
    I am now running this scan now again.....but not hopefuls but one blog did say to run it up to 3 times to fully fix all errors.

Any advice?

It's a tosiba skull candy ...I tried at one stage to hold the 0 and power up to reset to factory settings ... No go ...tried to restore ..says restore not set up ...not sure if their is a back up partition of hard drive on it ...came with no CD disc ... Similar happened before ...I paid 200 quid to get it repaired ..its for the bin if there is no handy way to reset it that a guy with reasonsable computer skills can do...its a shame as its an ok laptop 18 months old....

Appreciate any advice ..try anything now !!
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hi today laptop shows unable to find connections. Wifi is on and I have mobile connected. Message is ...no connections are available.". There is a connection available. I tried all morning to run scan now ....eventually after googling I went into command prompt end enabled some setting ...I got the scan now going...after a long while it completed and said it found corrupt files ..and fixed.
    I rebooted and still same connection none...message...
    I am now running this scan now again.....but not hopefuls but one blog did say to run it up to 3 times to fully fix all errors.

Any advice?

It's a tosiba skull candy ...I tried at one stage to hold the 0 and power up to reset to factory settings ... No go ...tried to restore ..says restore not set up ...not sure if their is a back up partition of hard drive on it ...came with no CD disc ... Similar happened before ...I paid 200 quid to get it repaired ..its for the bin if there is no handy way to reset it that a guy with reasonsable computer skills can do...its a shame as its an ok laptop 18 months old....

Appreciate any advice ..try anything now !!
    Paddy
    Have you tried rebooting your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Yap was on to Vodafone every other device connecting ...seems the connection ...not seeing the available WiFi is issue ... Scannow found issues and reports them fixed ..I'm lost

Yap was on to Vodafone every other device connecting ...seems the connection ...not seeing the available WiFi is issue ... Scannow found issues and reports them fixed ..I'm lost

What issues were found?
    What laptop is it?
    If you set up a hotspot on your phone and share that connection does it connect to that?

Tosiba skull candy yap I tried the phone hotspot no use ...I just got an Ethernet cable might try direct connection later...disabled virus etc to see if that was blocking but no

Tosiba skull candy yap I tried the phone hotspot no use ...I just got an Ethernet cable might try direct connection later...disabled virus etc to see if that was blocking but no

Would be worth trying this.

• Advertisement

oh thanks for that ...am back on line now by ethernet cable !! I need wifi cant sit out here in the hall all the time!! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I had something similar on my machine today - kept losing WiFi connection and the WiFi icon in taskbar was changed to a network icon with a red X through it.

Found this online and tried it

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/network-icon-show-red-x-even-though-wireless/2cf5b096-cd1d-4d57-ab43-fd0539a24787

Used the suggestion here...........

"I had the same issue and this is how i solved it
    services.msc set "WWAN AutoConfig" to automatic, and start the service.
    in device manager uninstall ALL network adapters. Then right click and select "Scan Hardware For Changes" allow windows 7 to install the adapters. (No need to select remove driver)
    This solved the problem for me."

After reboot, the normal WiFi icon was back and it connected perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Just came across this post today and because I was having very similar problems last week I must share my fix, which worked, after many days of trying everything from driver re-install, disabling firewall, re-booting etc!
    My final try worked and by logging in to my router (Sky-Hub) I changed the Channel and the Mode from Auto and 54G performance to Channel 11 and 54G auto and hey presto it worked! dont forget to apply the changes at the bottom of the page (if you have the Sky Hub or router). I logged in to the router by ethernet cable btw.
    I urge you to try this fix and hope you can sort it out. This problem started after I did a factory reset on my older sony Vaio laptop running Vista home premium.

im with vodafone for long time , all other devices connecting ,,,got modem re set by vodafone as it was bit slow.....tried all other advice no use ..on ethernet pain really,,,,,if i could delete the network connection and install a similar that would do the trick ..i have removed network ..connection /scanned for new hardware dozens of times ...ran sfc , dozens of times as well as being in and out of device manager ..enabling all the settings as advised ... got rid of avg installed avast ..ran all scans no use !!! toshiba laptop ,,tried their ...software to find issues //as usual none found ..thks anyway

Advertisement