Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutant HD2400 Quad Tuner Combo Box - Sky Replacement Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Saorview = yes
    - Saorview: Area = Dublin, Three Rock
    - Saorview: FTA only = yes
    - Saorview: generate main bouquet = yes
    - Saorview: generate HD bouquest = no

... issued a "Timeout for Tuner Lock" when it went scanning for Saorview but when I go into menu -> setup -> service searching -> Signal Finder Tuner A shows that it has a locked signal (little green tick in the "lock" box)

... The odd thing is if I go into menu -> setup -> service searching -> manual scan and do a scan for Tuner A (the only DVB-C/T/T2 tuner with an input from the indoor ariel) with Type of scan set to "Complete", system set to "auto" and region set to "Dublin (Ptimary Tx)(ie), (Europe DVB-T)" it finds 73 channels and when I click on one e.g. RTE News Now it displays absolutely fine with no stuttering or blocking at all.

Question: If a manual Saorview scan finds 73 channels and displays them fine why does the ABM scan timeout because it can't get a lock?

Are you specifying a frequency or frequencies with the 'manual' scan? Which frequency are the watchable Saorview channels showing up on, maybe it's Kippure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Is there a chance that the manual scam is picking up another transmitter which is stronger than Three Rock? That would explain why the manual scan has a stringer signal. If that is the case change your abm settings to match. You should not need to run the manual scan, abm only will do.

Also, have you selected the main bouquet you generated with abm? You may be in the wrong channel list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If you are doing a manual scan for Saorview you will be scanning for two channels. In the case of three rock it will be 30 & 33. We doing the first scan then set the option for 'clear before scan' to 'yes' and when doing the second scan then set this to 'no'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thurston? wrote: »
    Are you specifying a frequency or frequencies with the 'manual' scan? Which frequency are the watchable Saorview channels showing up on, maybe it's Kippure?

Here are the manual scan settings I use

Tuner = Tuner A:Si2169 (DVB-T2)
    Type of scan = Predefined transponder
    System = DVB-T
    Region = Dublin (Primary Tx)(ie), (Europe DVB-T)
    Transponder = 546 MHz (Channel 30)
    Network Scan = no
    Clear before scan = no
    Only free scan = no

The TV channels it finds which are all very watchable are:-

SSU - whatever that is it's just a blank screen
    ___ - another empty channel which is where I think RTE 1 should be
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE News Now
    3e
    Saorview Information

dubrov wrote: »
    Also, have you selected the main bouquet you generated with abm? You may be in the wrong channel list
    Apologies, I'm a complete newbie. How do I select the main bouquet ABM generated? Would that be the same or an alternative XML file to what Dubrov sent me? I FTP's his sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml file to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭galtee boy

God bless your patience and dedication and I hope you get it all up and running the way you want, but you can now see why most people only want plug and play options !

galtee boy wrote: »
    God bless your patience and dedication and I hope you get it all up and running the way you want, but you can now see why most people only want plug and play options !

Ah, I love a challenge. I know it can be done so it's only a matter of figuring it out ;)

Bouquets are just groupings of channels.

I think you just press up on the remote to get to the bouquet list.

Based on your abm settings above, it should've crested one bouquet with all the channels (called "Main" or "All channels" i think) and a number of smaller bouquets called entertainment, news etc.

Just select the main bouquet and the channel numbering should be good.

I'd change the setting to generate the smaller bouquets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Here are the manual scan settings I use

Tuner = Tuner A:Si2169 (DVB-T2)
    Type of scan = Predefined transponder
    System = DVB-T
    Region = Dublin (Primary Tx)(ie), (Europe DVB-T)
    Transponder = 546 MHz (Channel 30)
    Network Scan = no
    Clear before scan = no
    Only free scan = no

The TV channels it finds which are all very watchable are:-

SSU - whatever that is it's just a blank screen
    ___ - another empty channel which is where I think RTE 1 should be
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE News Now
    3e
    Saorview Information

That's Three Rock alright, the 1st multiplex (mux 1). As others have pointed out, there are 2 muxes, with RTE1, RTE1 +1, RTE jr., & UTV Ireland being on channel 33 (570 Mhz).

SSU is for System Software Update, over-the-air (OTA) downloads presumably.

Probably the autoscan applies stricter signal quality parameters than the manual, & only stores channels that have good enough figures to guarantee longterm reliable viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Ah, I love a challenge. I know it can be done so it's only a matter of figuring it out ;)

Hey don't know how many times I had to reflash my box took me about a week to get up and fully running with all I needed but keep at it and got there in the end missus now happy.

I have the zgemma s2 running openatv 5.1 on wooshbuild with the slyk v3 and very happy. I did originally setup from fresh but in the end I found the pre build saved all the hassle.

• Advertisement

Do you have openwebif installed and, if so, could you organise you bouquets though this.

I find it a lot easier to organise bouquets and channels when using openwebif on a pc/laptop.

Thanks Wush, appreciate the encouragement.

I'm now at a bit of a low point. I've factory reset a load of times and just can't get the hang of this.

I'm now going to exclude the Saorview option from the setup and see if I can get just the FreeSat channels working as they should with ABM and CrossEPG etc. I reckon if I can get them working I can then look at adding the Saorview channels when I have a proper external ariel.

Some new questions if I may.

1. Should I do an Automatic Service scan before running the ABM scan or not?

2. In the ABM providers list is there any point including Sky ROI or should I just stick with FreeSat UK?

3. How can I get the EPG to show the channel number? I have "Show channel numbers in channel selection" set to "yes" but the channel numbers aren't showing.

4. How do I get the EPG to only display the relevant version of a particular channel e.g. at the moment I have about a dozen versions of BBC1 listed from all different UK regions, I would prefer to choose one region and only have that displayed.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Do you have openwebif installed and, if so, could you organise you bouquets though this.

I find it a lot easier to organise bouquets and channels when using openwebif on a pc/laptop.

Yes, OpenWebif is indeed enabled. How do I access it from my PC?

Thanks Wush, appreciate the encouragement.

I'm now at a bit of a low point. I've factory reset a load of times and just can't get the hang of this.

I'm now going to exclude the Saorview option from the setup and see if I can get just the FreeSat channels working as they should with ABM and CrossEPG etc. I reckon if I can get them working I can then look at adding the Saorview channels when I have a proper external ariel.

Some new questions if I may.

1. Should I do an Automatic Service scan before running the ABM scan or not?

2. In the ABM providers list is there any point including Sky ROI or should I just stick with FreeSat UK?

3. How can I get the EPG to show the channel number? I have "Show channel numbers in channel selection" set to "yes" but the channel numbers aren't showing.

4. How do I get the EPG to only display the relevant version of a particular channel e.g. at the moment I have about a dozen versions of BBC1 listed from all different UK regions, I would prefer to choose one region and only have that displayed.

Without going into full details for now j_s_j have you look on other forums like the techkings for your answers as here is quite restricted.

Just type the ip of your box into a blank webpage

Thanks to you j_s_j I now have a openbox v8s and a zgemma s2 fully up and running for sale, I must head over to adverts to sell these.
    Looks like I'm in the market for a Mut@nt HD2400

Just type the IP address of the box into a web browser.

It will manually let you set the channel list but it won't update automatically if Freesat make any changes. You might have to do a rescan every few months.
    I'd persist with ABM if you can because once it is running you won't have to do nay more work (like Sky, UPC etc.)

The automatic scan just checks every frequency to see what channels are available. ABM just downloads the frequencies for each channels so doesn't need a scan.

Try the following ABM setup

Setup mode = expert
    Schedule scan = yes
    Time of scan to start = 03:30
    Repeat how often = Daily
    Keep all non-ABM bouquets = no
    Add provider prefix to bouquets = no
    Place bouquets at = Top
    Skip services on not configured sats = yes
    Include 'not indexed' channels = no
    Extra debug = no
    Show in extensions = no

Providers:
    FreeSat (UK) = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): Area = England HD: London/London
    - FreeSat (UK): FTA only = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): generate main bouquet = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): generate sections bouquet = no
    - FreeSat (UK): generate HD bouquet = no
    - FreeSat (UK): swap channels = yes
    FreeView (UK) = no
    Saorview = yes
    - Saorview: FTA only = no
    Sky ROI = no
    Sky UK = no

Set the Providers order to:-
    Saorview
    FreeSat (UK)

You could also try other Saorview areas close by to see it it gets a better signal.

This will create one main bouquet with all the channels in it in the correct order.

If you have done a manual scan, it will also create a bouquet called "Last scanned". It will have all the channels but in a random order.

wush06 wrote: »
    Just type the ip of your box into a blank webpage

Thnaks Wush, that's a nifty tool all right. It must be a great way to provide after sales support without having to go to a customers site.

Just type the IP address of the box into a web browser.

It will manually let you set the channel list but it won't update automatically if Freesat make any changes. You might have to do a rescan every few months.
    I'd persist with ABM if you can because once it is running you won't have to do nay more work (like Sky, UPC etc.)

The automatic scan just checks every frequency to see what channels are available. ABM just downloads the frequencies for each channels so doesn't need a scan.

Try the following ABM setup

Setup mode = expert
    Schedule scan = yes
    Time of scan to start = 03:30
    Repeat how often = Daily
    Keep all non-ABM bouquets = no
    Add provider prefix to bouquets = no
    Place bouquets at = Top
    Skip services on not configured sats = yes
    Include 'not indexed' channels = no
    Extra debug = no
    Show in extensions = no

Providers:
    FreeSat (UK) = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): Area = England HD: London/London
    - FreeSat (UK): FTA only = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): generate main bouquet = yes
    - FreeSat (UK): generate sections bouquet = no
    - FreeSat (UK): generate HD bouquet = no
    - FreeSat (UK): swap channels = yes
    FreeView (UK) = no
    Saorview = yes
    - Saorview: FTA only = no
    Sky ROI = no
    Sky UK = no

Set the Providers order to:-
    Saorview
    FreeSat (UK)

You could also try other Saorview areas close by to see it it gets a better signal.

This will create one main bouquet with all the channels in it in the correct order.

If you have done a manual scan, it will also create a bouquet called "Last scanned". It will have all the channels but in a random order.

Thanks Dubrov, I'm definitely not giving up on ABM, I am determined to get it working and will try your suggested settings later/tomorrow.

I appreciate your patience with me!!

FYI a few screenshots from OpenWebif which might throw some light on where I'm at

28s4ol3.jpg

28s4ol3.jpg

5tudyo.jpg

• Advertisement

The screenshots look good for the ABM settings you listed earlier.
    The EPG problem is probably to do with your CrossEPG setup.

The "all channels" bouquet will contain all the channels in a long list. If you are using Freesat only, it will start at 101 with BBC1.

The "Entertainment" (section) bouquet will contain all the entertainment channels (C4, E4, BBC, ITV etc.). Its numbering will start where the "all channels" bouquet ends (so probably about 1000).
    It is probably best to have one main bouquet or sections bouquets but not both as otherwise the numbering is strange.

If you change your settings to match the ones I suggested before and upload the xml file, there will only contain one "All channels" bouquet with Saorview starting at 1 with RTE1.

The screenshots look good for the ABM settings you listed earlier.
    The EPG problem is probably to do with your CrossEPG setup.

The "all channels" bouquet will contain all the channels in a long list. If you are using Freesat only, it will start at 101 with BBC1.

The "Entertainment" (section) bouquet will contain all the entertainment channels (C4, E4, BBC, ITV etc.). Its numbering will start where the "all channels" bouquet ends (so probably about 1000).
    It is probably best to have one main bouquet or sections bouquets but not both as otherwise the numbering is strange.

If you change your settings to match the ones I suggested before and upload the xml file, there will only contain one "All channels" bouquet with Saorview starting at 1 with RTE1.

Thanks Dubrov, I'll give that a crack later.

What are the names of the other Saorview signals I should try instead of Dublin, Three Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

What are the names of the other Saorview signals I should try instead of Dublin, Three Rock?

Try the link below

http://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv-aerial-selection-guide.html

Dave..M wrote: »

Thnaks Dave,

Just tried the set up using Kippure as the Saorview area but no joy. I guess the indoor ariel is getting just about a strong enough signal for a manual scan but not strong enough for ABM which is a bit frustrating but c'est la vie. I'll deal with it by getting an external ariel organised.

If I leave Saorview out of the set up I'm able to get all the FreeSat channels working fine which is big progress but I'm still struggling a little with CrossEPG.

I followed this set up guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images but don't know which EPG source I should be using for Ireland/FreeSat&Saorview combined. Any suggestions? Between rytec and XEPGDB there is something like 40 sources. I'm guessing I should be using one of the XML TV providers but I don't know. I'm currently using the OpenTV provider "Sky UK OpenTV(Astra2 on 28.2)

One other niggling thing is I can't seem to get channel numbers to display on the EPG. I'm using the Blue HD skin from http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84606-slyk-1-hd-sly-skin-version-3-now-available.html which can be downloaded from here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/83hp06hcng0fvrr/AABFhgjbb-O5Q1qqkPNubEC_a/Skin?dl=0 and I installed it as follows:-

1. Download the IPK file.
    2. FTP is to /var/volatile/tmp
    3. Menu > setup > VIX > Install local Extention

It looks great (if you want a Sky type look which my kids etc are familiar/comfortable with) but I can't suss out how to get channel numbers to display.

2qce52p.jpg

Regarding the Saorview, are you scanning the two channels 30 & 33?

THE ALM wrote: »
    Regarding the Saorview, are you scanning the two channels 30 & 33?

ABM doesn't give me the option to select which channels to scan, it only offers the option of selecting "Saorview area" and within the options "Dublin, Three Rock" is the only Three Rock option, it doesn't mention channel 30 or 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I followed this set up guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images but don't know which EPG source I should be using for Ireland/FreeSat&Saorview combined. Any suggestions? Between rytec and XEPGDB there is something like 40 sources. I'm guessing I should be using one of the XML TV providers but I don't know. I'm currently using the OpenTV provider "Sky UK OpenTV(Astra2 on 28.2)

You only need 'OpenTV provider "Sky UK OpenTV(Astra2 on 28.2)' for crossEPG. That reads the data directly from the satellite, no need for a web connection. Saorview channels will read their own data directly from the signal once you have it tuned in.
    For Dublin you are most likely using either 3Rock or Kippure. As mentioned above in each case you need to scan two (mux) frequencies. 30 + 33 for 3Rock, 54 + 58 for Kippure with bandwidth set to 8.

ABM doesn't give me the option to select which channels to scan, it only offers the option of selecting "Saorview area" and within the options "Dublin, Three Rock" is the only Three Rock option, it doesn't mention channel 30 or 33.

You will probably have to do a Manual Scan in this case. I personally don't use ABM as I don't see the need and it seems to be the cause of your problems. I find if a channel changes frequency (not to often thankfully) then I will do a full new scan every couple of months.

If you go into your settings-service searching-Tuner configuration and select you tuner. Under the settings here you will be able to set the channel as 30, make sure to set clear before scan to 'yes' and then do a scan. Repeat this process although this time select channel 33 and set clear before scan to 'no'. If you don't do both channels then some of the stations will be stuttery as I think you are finding.

Although I am using an OS3+ I find the the less plugins you use the better and the reason I don't use abm or cooltvguide for that matter. I found cooltvguide in particular caused me problems in the early days and I haven't used it since.

I think if you go back to basics and get it set up then you can try the additional plugins and see how they go for you.

I do continually try different images, plugins and skins etc and do find that not all are successful

• Advertisement

If you are in South Dublin, there is another transmitter in Greystones you could try. See here:
    https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

For channel numbering go to Menu->Setup->System->Channel selections.
    Then make sure the option "Show channel numbers in channel selection" is set to Yes.

You can also change skins without the need for FTP.
    You can do this in Menu->Setup>System->User Interface->Skin Setup.
    Blue HD is the closest to Sky though.

Advertisement