Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Castle Works - Update

Options
  • 13-02-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Update from Cllr. Daragh Butler regarding Swords Castle:

At the Swords February Area meeting, I asked Fingal County Council for an update with regard to Swords Castle and when the derelict buildings including the old barber's shop would be knocked down.

Fingal County Council confirmed the following:

A Ministerial consent was received in December 2015 in relation to the proposal. A tender process for works at Swords Castle has commenced.

This phase of works involves:
    • Consolidation works on Gatehouse and Knights Chamber buildings.
    • Removal of Cabins and reconfiguration of temporary events info cabin inside Castle walls.
    • Demolition of derelict buildings on North Street, including old Barber shop.
    • Alterations to paths and landscaping inside Castle.
    • Consolidation works on East Wall range.
    • New external lighting and site services to facilitate better all year access.

It is anticipated that a preferred tender will be available for recommendation in late February. It is estimated that the construction works will take 6 months to complete (March - August 2016). The Castle will remain open as a heritage attraction and public amenity during the works.

North Street Redevelopment:

This section involves a proposal for a new Events and Visitor Facilities building on North Street and changes to the public realm in the immediate vicinity of the Castle. Archaeological assessment on the North Street site will follow demolition works on derelict buildings and separate planning process and Ministerial consent applications are required.

Timeline for North Street Redevelopment Project:
    Archaeological assessment: May 2016
    Planning Process / Ministerial Consent: June- July 2016
    Tender: Quarter 4 2016
    On site: Quarter 4 2016
    Completion: Quarter 4 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The masterplan for the Swords Castle Cultural Quarter can be seen here ...http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/swordsculturalquartermasterplan/

There was a further update in this week's Fingal Independent ...After last week's revelation in the Fingal Independent that the derelict buildings blocking views of Swords Castle on North Street are to be finally demolished, Fingal County Council has given more detail on what it plans for the area.

At last Thursday's meeting of the Swords Local Area Committee, Cllr Darragh Butler (FF) asked for an update on the council's plans.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/details-emerge-of-swords-castle-project-34454470.html

When talking about the main st in another thread I forgot about the redevelopment of St Columcille's Drive etc and all the house's being demolished at the rear of the F.C.C Hq on Seatown rd https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4597796,-6.2181265,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNtpOI5hh2fLa7-y1UG5YLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en.
    It will also have the addition of the proposed Aldi on the adjacent site on Seatown rd as well
    ,http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F16A/0104,(I note submission's/objections must be in before 19th April).
    I remember reading about the Seatown redevelopment on here some where but can't for the life of me find the thread.
    Together with the Castle project ,both project's will impact the centre of the village in a massive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Apparently the work on the Knight's Chamber & Gatehouse is to facilitate a new drive-thru Starbucks.

Originally Posted by The Hill Billy -Apparently the work on the Knight's Chamber & Gatehouse is to facilitate a new drive-thru Starbucks
    Are ye pulling our leg Billy ,I don't know ,I just don't know and that's a fact,next thing ye know Malahide Castle will be a Strinfellows Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For the day that's in it. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Nice one THB, had me going :D

and me +1 .... I was nearly getting me '' Down with that sorta thing'' placard's out of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Work has begun on the stabilisation of the Swords Castle Buildings.

Keating Building Contractors are on site.

mickmmc,thank's for that news , do you know what the work involve's - are we going to see the demolition of the derelict building's in the next while ?.

• Advertisement

The Council outlined the works on the OP above.

Keating Building Contractors have only been on site since Monday.

There is fencing around the cabins in the grounds of the Castle.

The stabilisation works only began yesterday on Bridge Street.

Work has begun on demolishing the houses and barber shop on North Street.

The slates have been removed on 2 of the houses.

Those eyesores will no loss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's brilliant, it will make a huge difference. They were an awful eyesore.

The best news I've heard in age's,thank's - mickmmc

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

I'm a bit sad to be honest, I wish Ryans was the last place to go :( the fact a load of empty derelict buildings have lasted this long when a thriving pub was knocked first is a shame.

Yep ,have to agree, it was a great old shop ,Ryan's,a spit n sawdust pub,with an ''luxury lounge'' for the gentle folk , yep them were the day's ,the pc brigade introduced no smokin ,that lad pub spy woul't even give them the time of day , but it was great ,like a lot of Fingallian's a dying breed -- I'm sad to say.... won't even mention the Harp Bar.

Like the Pound it was built into the walls of the castle. Many a Sunday afternoon wasted well spent in the back of Ryans, sitting against the castle walls, sculling pints, putting the world to right, before getting a china link and heading home.

Some Nice Photo's popping up on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/740800899480727552

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I passed that exact spot yesterday. It's amazing to think that beautiful window was hidden all those years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Wasn't that window only installed about 10 years ago when they renovated the chapel?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Wasn't that window only installed about 10 years ago when they renovated the chapel?
    You could be right. I've never seen it before ... :pac:

It looks like it was renovated all right. Though I presume there was always a window there.

It's very exciting, the castle is going to look amazing and it will transform that end of Swords.

It's just fantastic,it's a wonder there where not crowd's to see the old buildings go,I wunder that them that is gone would have thought,I bet all would have approved and a great day for Sword's and Fingal.
    I have a brother from the state's coming home for the first time in 20 year's,he will be amazed,it might take his mind off D Trump across the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I suppose for an opposite view, I don't like and feel uneasy at the general shift from councils to building and planning areas that are an obvious penalty against drivers and promoting pedestrian and cycling. Swords Main Street can be a bit of a nightmare at the best of times, especially for parking. How exactly is the main street supposed to function now, with planning that looks to restrict traffic even more? Not to mention it is the hub of Swords for all the major bus routes.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I suppose for an opposite view, I don't like and feel uneasy at the general shift from councils to building and planning areas that are an obvious penalty against drivers and promoting pedestrian and cycling. Swords Main Street can be a bit of a nightmare at the best of times, especially for parking. How exactly is the main street supposed to function now, with planning that looks to restrict traffic even more? Not to mention it is the hub of Swords for all the major bus routes.

That was one of the main points made during the consultation; that the Centre of the village was too focused on Drivers and Parking. From the Documentation it seems Main St. Will be one way once complete.

It'd be no loss to Swords if the Bus didn't go through Main St. Plenty of Passengers get on in the outlying estates and Swords Express does not go onto Main or North St.

Besides the Proposed BRT and Metro do not go into Main St.

Whether it's right or Wrong I don't know. St. Georges Square in Balbriggan got the same treatment on a smaller scale years ago and I'm not sure of it's success.

Advertisement