Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers in Knocknacarra

Options
  • 13-02-2016 4:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

A pile of caravans have moved into Knockanacarra beside Dunnes stores. A blight....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pugzilla wrote: »
    A pile of caravans have moved into Knockanacarra beside Dunnes stores. A blight....

Interesting. The lads at City Hall are still there ad at a free minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I for one welcome our new traveller overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new traveller overlords.

Bring them back an apple tart and cream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just been out in Dunnes Knocknacarra and there is not a caravan anywhere there or the surrounding area, perhaps OP you might be more specific as to where they are

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Turn left at the mini roundabout when coming out of Dunnes carpark, stay on that road with Zenimax on the left after the bend. You'll come to a T junction. They're lined up along the road on the right as of last wednesday. I don't know if they're related to those at city hall (probably are!).

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Having read the article, I presume they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Your way behind the times so they left there last Thursday for the Airport and left there for City Hall where they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Passed by there today and no caravans at all. One or two rubbish sacks and what looked like some kind of an armchair left there on grass verge I think.

Tough as their lives are they have no right to mess up that area. They would be the first to say there is no evidence that they are responsible. Somebody else could have come along and thrown that stuff there. They would be right.

What's the situation at the city hall?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Now at ballyloughane beach according friends that live there - can't post links on phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Now at ballyloughane beach according friends that live there - can't post links on phone.

Ya, spotted caravans there today passing by on the train.

Those Travellers have a tough life make no mistake about it. It must be very very difficult for them to have to keep moving around especially with kids involved and my heart goes out to them.

My understanding is that in general the city council has a (legal?) obligation to house them where they want to be housed ie together in sites with serviceable bays etc. The council has not done that ie the council has failed in its legal duty. Is this true? If it is true, why has the council failed in this regard?

I can never understand why some Travellers want to live together in sites?
    I also do not understand how anybody would refuse social housing and choose to live on the side of the road especially when young children are involved. Why would a parent choose that for their children?

And I can never understand how Travellers can afford to keep horses given the fact that many Travellers are unemployed.

I would have thought horses were for the gentry set. Feeding, Vet expenses, Licencing or whatever must cost a fair bit. And if Travellers by and large do not own property, where are these horses kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

bobbyss wrote: »
    Those Travellers have a tough life make no mistake about it. It must be very very difficult for them to have to keep moving around especially with kids involved and my heart goes out to them.

My understanding is that in general the city council has a (legal?) obligation to house them where they want to be housed ie together in sites with serviceable bays etc. The council has not done that ie the council has failed in its legal duty. Is this true? If it is true, why has the council failed in this regard?

I can never understand why some Travellers want to live together in sites?
    I also do not understand how anybody would refuse social housing and choose to live on the side of the road especially when young children are involved. Why would a parent choose that for their children?

And I can never understand how Travellers can afford to keep horses given the fact that many Travellers are unemployed.

I would have thought horses were for the gentry set. Feeding, Vet expenses, Licencing or whatever must cost a fair bit. And if Travellers by and large do not own property, where are these horses kept?

Be gone kind sir with your logic & stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

no fixed abode means no letters which means no bills, no tax...

flynnlives wrote: »
    no fixed abode means no letters which means no bills, no tax...

I don't know. Most Travellers I suspect do not live on the side of the road and I think that they get post delivered at sites. Could be wrong though.
    And would they not have to have address to receive sw payments etc.
    There is simply a lack of will by authorities to deal with Traveller accommodation. If Pavee Point could sue then they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

There is simply a lack of will by authorities to deal with Traveller accommodation. If Pavee Point could sue then they should.

Seriously?! The halting site near my house is continuously being done up/repaired by the City Council. A short while later the travellers take the tiles/slates off the roofs of the toilet blocks yet again...and city council are back in replacing them time and time again. There's only so much the local authority can do!

If I decided to abandon my home and take off in a caravan (yes...I know...they don't have static homes to begin with and living in a caravan is their culture or whatnot) why should I expect to be allowed to pull up anywhere I choose, stay there and wreck the place? I saw them in Knocknacarra...took over the whole section of road..I could barely see pulling out from the road that leads towads the Aviva/Dunnes as they were blocking my sight line, rubbish thrown all over the place, cars abandoned precariously on the road...it was an accident scene waiting to happen.

I'm fed up with all these 'do-gooders' standing up for a minority of the population who clog A&E (disproportionally high number of travellers in A&E constantly), who have a disproportionate number of people on front of the courts, who don't abide by the laws of our land and who I, as a tax payer, pay their upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Seriously?! The halting site near my house is continuously being done up/repaired by the City Council. A short while later the travellers take the tiles/slates off the roofs of the toilet blocks yet again...and city council are back in replacing them time and time again. There's only so much the local authority can do!

If I decided to abandon my home and take off in a caravan (yes...I know...they don't have static homes to begin with and living in a caravan is their culture or whatnot) why should I expect to be allowed to pull up anywhere I choose, stay there and wreck the place? I saw them in Knocknacarra...took over the whole section of road..I could barely see pulling out from the road that leads towads the Aviva/Dunnes as they were blocking my sight line, rubbish thrown all over the place, cars abandoned precariously on the road...it was an accident scene waiting to happen.

I'm fed up with all these 'do-gooders' standing up for a minority of the population who clog A&E (disproportionally high number of travellers in A&E constantly), who have a disproportionate number of people on front of the courts, who don't abide by the laws of our land and who I, as a tax payer, pay their upkeep.

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/traveller-families-moved-from-illegal-encampment-set-up-home-outside-galway-city-hall-34447378.html
    “We have offered emergency homeless services to these families over the last number of weeks but we have been informed the families want a site with sanitation provided immediately. It isn’t within our capability to deliver that,” he said.
    Simply put, they don't want what other homeless people get, they want to be treated better than the homeless, they want this, that, and the other, because they were told to leave their last illegal halting site.
    They had been living at an illegal site at the side of the road in Knocknacarra for the past few weeks after they had been evicted from private lands at Carrowbrowne where they had been living for six months.
    Also, in the article, where it states that private lands at Carrowbrowne, am I to assume that it was some farmers land that they illegally trespassed onto for six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Totally agree with you. I'm completely fed up with these layabouts taking everything & contributing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like the descriptions applied to (settled) Irish immigrants in many countries.

I know that many of you cannot even spell "ethnicity", far less have any meaningful appreciation of the concepts of cultural difference, but really the level of sheer ignorance displayed in this thread is pretty mind boggling.

• Advertisement

I have great sympathy with the Travellers on this one.

Being offered emergency housing and turning it down sounds crazy, esp when there are kids involved but has the City Council a legal obligation, for a number of years now, to provide Traveller specific accommodation and it has failed to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

the_syco wrote: »

Also, in the article, where it states that private lands at Carrowbrowne, am I to assume that it was some farmers land that they illegally trespassed onto for six months?

Assume away. Everybody is entitled to their assumption.
    You have assumed wrongly though.
    Assumably you will check the facts next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Sounds like the descriptions applied to (settled) Irish immigrants in many countries.

I know that many of you cannot even spell "ethnicity", far less have any meaningful appreciation of the concepts of cultural difference, but really the level of sheer ignorance displayed in this thread is pretty mind boggling.

The level of hypocrisy on this thread is mind boggling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wonder will they start playing the whole persecution complex?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Hopefully there isn't a big storm and they all get washed out to sea, that'd be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

http://connachttribune.ie/council-shut-travellers-diy-hardstand-139/

Anyone ever hear what happened in this case, the caravans are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hopefully there isn't a big storm and they all get washed out to sea, that'd be terrible.

Jesus...

That's nice. I wonder if mirthhful wishing of death on any other particular sub-section of society is tolerated on boards, or is it just travellers?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I have no issue with Travellers and I hate when people use de-humanising language. Travellers have hard lives and die a lot sooner than settled people and suffer discrimination constantly.

What I do take issue with is that somehow the same rules don't apply to a group that apply to the rest of us.

If Irish immigrants behaved illegally in another country would they be give special exemption based up ethnicity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

What I do take issue with is that somehow the same rules don't apply to a group that apply to the rest of us.

This is what the vast majority of people take issue with. None of us want to see people homeless, however the travellers don't do themselves any favours either by there behaviour, they appear to want to take, take and take without trying to make any viable contribution to society as a hole.

Advertisement