Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers in Knocknacarra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Assumably you will check the facts next time.
    Hrm. Evicted from a halting site for wrecking it, it would seem. And now they want more free accommodation, but not what the homeless are offered, but better?

As for them camping on the beach, how they rent a skip and a portaloo, like the civilised travellers I've come across. And not like most of them, who make a large pile of rubbish, and destroy local facilities.

Ballyloughane Beach is a fairly popular beach, especially for residents for those on the east side of the city.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

bobbyss wrote: »
    I would have thought horses were for the gentry set. Feeding, Vet expenses, Licencing or whatever must cost a fair bit. And if Travellers by and large do not own property, where are these horses kept?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Oh yeah, anyone with a horse is part of the "gentry" (Whatever that means today)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Hrm. Evicted from a halting site for wrecking it, it would seem. And now they want more free accommodation, but not what the homeless are offered, but better?

Ballyloughane Beach is a fairly popular beach, especially for residents for those on the east side of the city.

Evicted because there's not planning permission for the way it was being used. Or because it's shortly before an election. One or the other, or maybe both.

As I've heard it, they want a serviced hard-stand. I would have thought that this was quite a lot less than what most homeless are offered.

And I've never visited Ballyloughane Beach in February - wouldn't have expected it to be overly popular at this time of year myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A lot of dog walkers this time of year because they are allowed on the beach during the day. I walk one for a friend couple of times a week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

And I've never visited Ballyloughane Beach in February - wouldn't have expected it to be overly popular at this time of year myself.

It's very popular. Large number of families go there (myself included)..kids with wellies, buckets and spades...people walking dogs etc. It is a very well used beach.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Arghus wrote: »
    Jesus...

That's nice. I wonder if mirthhful wishing of death on any other particular sub-section of society is tolerated on boards, or is it just travellers?

Try being a cyclist or pedestrian cue jokes about "organ donors" etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I like a stroll on the down at the beach with my dog. The travellers are really lowering the tone down there.

You'd want to be careful what you leave in the car when you go for your walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

The car park is locked with a big metal gate. How did they get in. When I see an area locked which is not my property I don't go trespassing and leaving a mess behind, but I guess that's just me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I've never visited Ballyloughane Beach in February - wouldn't have expected it to be overly popular at this time of year myself.

How would you know if Uve never been there in February? It's actually quite busy with dog walkers, families and around 300-400 people using Liam meadows club every evening.
    the level of sheer ignorance displayed in this thread is pretty mind boggling.

The car park is locked with a big metal gate. How did they get in. When I see an area locked which is not my property I don't go trespassing and leaving a mess behind, but I guess that's just me.
    According to this
    it was alleged that a bollard was cut down which had been stopping access by vehicles to a path there.

Also, at the end of the article it states
    But she pointed out that as there are a large number of people on the housing waiting list people can not be moved up to the front of the list.
    ... so it'll be interesting to see what happens to "royalty" :pac:
    Evicted because there's not planning permission for the way it was being used. Or because it's shortly before an election. One or the other, or maybe both.
    As per this;
    An Bord Pleanála has decided to refuse an extension of planning permission for the 15 bay-halting site at the Headford Road.

The site was originally meant to be a temporary facility but extensions of planning permission were granted by the county council.

However, that planning permission has now ended and the site is effectively illegal.
    Seems the extensions were refused because the travellers caused "significant damage to the site at Carrowbrowne".

Have seen "temporary" sites lasting nearly a decade, but it seems that unless their demands are met, they'll destroy what they are given. I'm surprised PP are keeping quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

the_syco wrote: »

As for them camping on the beach, how they rent a skip and a portaloo, like the civilised travellers I've come across. And not like most of them, who make a large pile of rubbish, and destroy local facilities.

I think what many Travellers want is a place to live which suits their needs. I may be very wrong in this but I think the City Council basically agreed to this and that is why they, I think, have a legal obligation to service that need. Again, I may be wrong so please correct me if I am, this legal obligation has been with the council for a number of years now, so the reason they are on the beach is because of the council's failure to provide accommodation.
    Just think of the babies and young children and what life they have now in the cold.
    If you were a Traveller and the council reneged on its legal duty to provide you with Traveller specific accommodation how would you feel? What would you do?

I think what many Travellers want is a place to live which suits their needs.
    They were given a site which suited their needs, and they wrecked it. The permission to use the site as a halting site got revoked because the site was destroyed, and they were told to move on. They then went to various locations to cause the most hassle to get what they want on their own terms.
    If you were a Traveller and the council reneged on its legal duty to provide you with Traveller specific accommodation how would you feel? What would you do?
    If I had children, I'd take their offer of a roof over my head. However, the travellers in question want special treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just think of the babies and young children and what life they have now in the cold.

Get a job, rent a house, look after my family.

But that's a crazy suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What groups of travellers like those want,is a nice sized bungalow,in a nice handy area to amenites ,but private at the same time, room at each house for one caravan minimum,oh and a place to keep horses, all great , except they want/expect you and me and thousands of others to fund it all,and its upkeep...

They will buy their own vehicles and animals mind you,tax vans as commercials and use as cars with 5 or 6 in the back .. (watch them arrive at a supermacs a few mins after schools out) .

And they want seperate rules for themselves than for 'settled folk' .

And if you dont provide it they claim discrimination,racism. Its all take,they give back nothing. I know many travellers,none of them could deny what ive just written with a straight face,a few are sound enough but they prefer to live to their own rules with our money.. and see no wrong in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I googled it, but couldn't find an answer, so some one here might know..
    What infrastructures in place throughout the EU for the Travelling community?
    Are there halting sites or Traveller specific accommodation in Holland, Spain or Germany for example?

What is a halting site anyway?
    How many legal ones are in the city? What is the difference between a transient and temporary halting site?

I know there is a halting site on Rahoon Road, Lower Salthill and there is one at top of Tuam Road as you come from Bothar na Treabh? You never hear anything bad about those sites. Where else do Travellers live in the city in sites does anybody know?

I would like to know more about their lives. What life is like in a halting site?
    Does the council do maintenance work in them?
    Are they serviced by ESB? What about washing facilities inside a caravan?
    I have heard sometimes they have their own generators but are these safe? Are they legal?
    Do Travellers insure their caravans? Do they burn caravans when there has been a death in one and if they do, how can they afford that given high unemployment rates? Why couldn't one of the Traveller families on the beach move into an empty bay in Rahoon or Salthill for example? Would that not be an act of solidarity with each other?
    I think we need a Traveller to answer these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Take a skim back through this thread, imagine you're a traveller, and imagine how eager you'd be to come on here and be questioned/interrogated. Actually, over in the AMA forum there was a traveller woman on, thread got closed because all people were interested in asking her was where criminals got their money, even though she didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Arghus wrote: »
    I wonder if mirthhful wishing of death on any other particular sub-section of society is tolerated on boards, or is it just travellers?

Nope , not just just travellers...check out the anti immigration thread in the politics cafe.

Stay classy Boards.ie !!!!

What infrastructures in place throughout the EU for the Travelling community? Are there halting sites or Traveller specific accommodation in Holland, Spain or Germany for example?

Do those countries have Travellers as part of their indigenous population?

How many legal ones are in the city? What is the difference between a transient and temporary halting site?

Lots of questions there! I suspect the answer would be "none of your business" unless asked very sensitively.

As well as the sites you mentioned, I know of ones in Doughiska and Ballybane. Suspect there are others.

Travellers cannot be put into just any spare bay. As with many low-education / high-internal-relationships community, there are people who just don't get on. And while you'd rightly say that the rest of us don't get to choose our neighbours, the fact is that Traveller accommodation can either work well if the right people are there, or very badly if not. Hate it all you want, but there's no point looking for trouble.

Nope , not just just travellers...check out the anti immigration thread in the politics cafe.

Stay classy Boards.ie !!!!

Indeed.

There's a little bit of me that likes that stuff like this does get voiced, because it at least brings it into the open and shows up what people's values are. I'm the kind of foreign who people quickly forget is foreign, so have heard some very interesting conversations when people think that only Irish people are within earshot.

Take a skim back through this thread, imagine you're a traveller, and imagine how eager you'd be to come on here and be questioned/interrogated. Actually, over in the AMA forum there was a traveller woman on, thread got closed because all people were interested in asking her was where criminals got their money, even though she didn't know.

You may be right. Still, a Traveller's view point would be interesting. As much as I sympathize with Travellers, I do have some issues with Traveler culture that I do not quite grasp.

For example, does the council have information about the specific numbers in each site and in each bay? How are bays allocated in each site?

Do the Travellers rent the bay from the council? How much? What happens the bay if they move away? Who decides who lives in each site? Take the Lower Salthill site. How many people live there? If there was, for arguments sake, one bay space vacant there (and who would have this information? Who knows? Does the council?) would not that be a spot to accommodate some of the Beach Travellers? Would the Council not investigate that?

That would fulfill the criteria for some Travellers, wouldn't it? Those that want to live in a halting site Traveller specific. At no real cost? Just move into an empty bay? Now, who would object to that? The local people? Hardly. But would the Travellers already in that site object? And on what basis?

• Advertisement

The different sites are usually occupied by members of the same familly,built for them usually,so they can live nxt to each other,very handy.

The different sites are usually occupied by members of the same familly,built for them usually,so they can live nxt to each other,very handy.

But if five bays, for example , became vacant in Rahoon, which could cater for lets say 30-40 people how are those bays allocated? The Travellers don't own the property so wouldn't it be up to CC to decide?

bobbyss wrote:
    But if five bays, for example , became vacant in Rahoon, which could cater for lets say 30-40 people how are those bays allocated? The Travellers don't own the property so wouldn't it be up to CC to decide?

Depends who lives in the other bays,if its five on their own then all famillies would have to be non feuding,yes the council would have final say but allocating one each to different families does not happen

Depends who lives in the other bays,if its five on their own then all famillies would have to be non feuding,yes the council would have final say but allocating one each to different families does not happen

How do you know the council has the final say and the allocation to different families does not happen?

But I suspected as much and that is so, so disappointing. The Council have a very difficult job indeed to cater for housing needs for Travellers if they have to factor in accommodating different families to different sites depending on who is feuding who. And feuds also start from the same groupings also I would imagine.

This is where Travellers let themselves down so badly and is the cause of so much anger from mainstream culture.

For example, there is a Youtube clip of Travellers fighting and not only fighting but goading each other on to fight. I have seen quite elderly men including Big Joe Joyce, as he himself calls himself on the clips (there is no hiding of names there;rather a massive boasting of who they are) asking for fights etc. Now Big Joe Joyce is about 70 years of age and what is he doing? Goading people out for a fight?

Has he nothing better to do with his life than this? Does he not stop to think what kind of a legacy he are leaving? What a sad and useless life he must have. Would your father or grandfather be doing things like that?

Why oh why oh why don't Traveller spokespeople utterly condemn this stupidity?

Huge rates of unemployment, (I wonder what the average length of claiming for unemployment is among Travellers? 40-45 years?) deeply undereducated, very early (shockingly early) marriages (having two or three kids by the age of 21) are all recipes for a disaster of a life.

This is why I am angry with some. Because they do not help themselves and their spokespeople-Martin Collins et al, keep a low profile in condemning the above.

How do you know the council has the final say and the allocation to different families does not happen?

said it in my previous post,i know many travellers,many different famillies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know there is a halting site on Rahoon Road

Where is the one on the Rahoon Road?

Maybe you mean Letteragh Road, up past Westside pitch?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Where is the one on the Rahoon Road?

Maybe you mean Letteragh Road, up past Westside pitch?

Yeah. I don't know the exact name of the road just the general area within Rahoon.

The council has the final say in allocating council owned accommodation, houses or sites. I'm not sure if all sites in Galway are council owned or managed - eg Bishop's Field.

But they're not going to knowingly put people together who are going to fight. That would just be asking for trouble.

This is where Travellers let themselves down so badly and is the cause of so much anger from mainstream culture.

Oh, I totally agree. But just because some members of a culture let themselves down doesn't make it ok to discriminate against all of them. There ARE Travellers who are decent, hard working people (yes, I can name some).

And where's the anger at settled people who let themselves down. Why do the people of east Galway elect a county councillor who actually served a six month jail term for stealing from the council in the course of his duties? Or one whose drug-addled son brutally raped a woman? Why do we have an electoral candidate who even has a thread here listing all the things she's done? How do such people even have the neck to stand for election?

The council has the final say in allocating council owned accommodation, houses or sites. I'm not sure if all sites in Galway are council owned or managed - eg Bishop's Field.

But they're not going to knowingly put people together who are going to fight. That would just be asking for trouble.

Is Bishop's Field the L Salthill one? Didn't the Bishop not grant the land to the council and they manage it?

I think it is fair to say that very few people know about the goings on inside a halting site. About the numbers that live there and vacant bays. For all we know half a halting site could be vacant. I think if a family move out they themselves rent the space to someone else. I don't know if this is legal or not? The Council would have detailed information I am sure (if I was bothered to find out) but I would not be at all surprised if their information was incorrect. And that would be another failing on their part.

• Advertisement

The one in doughiska,they have taken over some land behind it and too the side and moved in caravans,semi hidden from the road,they were also given the bungalows to the front of the site,all the same familly

Advertisement