Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers in Knocknacarra

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Sounds like the descriptions applied to (settled) Irish immigrants in many countries.

I know that many of you cannot even spell "ethnicity", far less have any meaningful appreciation of the concepts of cultural difference, but really the level of sheer ignorance displayed in this thread is pretty mind boggling.

I have no appreciation for your bracketed word. I believe it to be an unnatural barrier of separation between people leading to distrust, labeling and in some cases isolation.

The choice to be different is just that, if there is laws and legislation in place for the population as a whole all should have to adhere to it.

This country has adapted the freehold principle of land ownership since prior to the conception of the state. This country has introduced both environmental and planning legislation. It is an illegal activity for every ordinary citizen to ignore that. But then our country makes some of our citizens un-ordinary saying that they should not have to adhere to such rules and regulations.

So they say this while also deciding that his counrties un-ordinary citizens should have every right afforded to its 'other' citizens. We are left in a situation where we have a select few of the population having all the rights but only some of the regulations. Can you see why the majority are pissed????????/

So then you have the distrust, labeling and isolation with the added element of 'why are they getting away with that?' this leads to dislike, jealousy and anger. All thus is compounded by the stranglers (un-ordinary is strange right ) phenomena a by product of the labeling.

Then there is the horrible prejudice, this is well above average between people of both sides of the imaginary line between group A and group B with a general theme of 'they don't like me' .

Sadly the community that considers them selves travelers have a lower life expediency, higher health issues, higher crime rate, less employment, higher suicide rate, experience a high massive amount of prejudice and still this is a choice they make.

You draw to the Irish in other countries at a time in American history the term 'no dogs or Irish' was displayed. You don't see that anymore but you do see many presidents of Irish origin.

Mrs. OBumble you are not better than me because you believe in ''"ethnicity", or because you 'have appreciation of the concepts of cultural difference'' between Irish citizens even more Irish born Citizens, you are simply quite deluded.

The day a Woman or Man with the roots in what is today considered 'traveler' becomes the president of our fine country is a day I look forward too as long that is that they are the best one for the Job.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Travelers are like the Sand People from Star Wars

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A lot of dog walkers this time of year because they are allowed on the beach during the day. I walk one for a friend couple of times a week..

I would never walk my dogs near travellers. I was on Inch Beach in Kerry & a large group of travellers came over looking at my Greyhound. One of them said "I'll give you 30 for the dog" . I said that she wasn't for sale. He then offered 50 & several of them started trying to pull the lead from hand. They were roaring that it was a good price. I had to point out that I would seriously injure someone if they didn't get lost.

That night they were trying to break into my camper van at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Discodog wrote: »
    I would never walk my dogs near travellers. I was on Inch Beach in Kerry & a large group of travellers came over looking at my Greyhound. One of them said "I'll give you 30 for the dog" . I said that she wasn't for sale. He then offered 50 & several of them started trying to pull the lead from hand. They were roaring that it was a good price. I had to point out that I would seriously injure someone if they didn't get lost.

That night they were trying to break into my camper van at 3am.

Did you report the harassment and attempted break in to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

bobbyss wrote: »
    Those Travellers have a tough life make no mistake about it. It must be very very difficult for them to have to keep moving around especially with kids involved and my heart goes out to them.

My understanding is that in general the city council has a (legal?) obligation to house them where they want to be housed ie together in sites with serviceable bays etc. The council has not done that ie the council has failed in its legal duty. Is this true? If it is true, why has the council failed in this regard?

I can never understand why some Travellers want to live together in sites?
    I also do not understand how anybody would refuse social housing and choose to live on the side of the road especially when young children are involved. Why would a parent choose that for their children?

And I can never understand how Travellers can afford to keep horses given the fact that many Travellers are unemployed.

I would have thought horses were for the gentry set. Feeding, Vet expenses, Licencing or whatever must cost a fair bit. And if Travellers by and large do not own property, where are these horses kept?

A traveler asked me if he could tether his horse in my field. I said 'Yes' as I wasn't using it for anything else and agreed if he could find me a couch for my living room, which he duly did and he left the horse in my field. Next morning the horse was gone. I thought the traveler had taken him but it turns out that it wasn't tied up properly and the horse had escaped into the town where he was causing havoc with the traffic. Local people came round to my cottage complaining that I should look after my horse better. Then the traveler came round and accused me of stealing his horse!

We live and learn, don't we...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Travelers are like the Sand People from Star Wars

Hv16_De_V.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

What's the point in asking that?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Nomis21 wrote: »
    A traveler asked me if he could tether his horse in my field. I said 'Yes' as I wasn't using it for anything else and agreed if he could find me a couch for my living room, which he duly did and he left the horse in my field. Next morning the horse was gone. I thought the traveler had taken him but it turns out that it wasn't tied up properly and the horse had escaped into the town where he was causing havoc with the traffic. Local people came round to my cottage complaining that I should look after my horse better. Then the traveler came round and accused me of stealing his horse!

We live and learn, don't we...

That is excellent 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What's the point?

What's the point in asking that?

If someone harassed you and attempted a break in to your property, what is the most appropriate thing to do? Report it of course. That's what I would do. Why?

Well, if the police are not called you are simply encouraging this type of behaviour. Maybe they would not harass again or attempt a break in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If someone harassed you and attempted a break in to your property, what is the most appropriate thing to do? Report it of course. That's what I would do. Why?

Well, if the police are not called you are simply encouraging this type of behaviour. Maybe they would not harass again or attempt a break in again.

Being a scumbag is what encourages that kind of behaviour.

Gave up reporting anti-social behaviour for the most part. Between slow response times and difficulty in identifying suspects, little ever comes of it.
    Know how that comes across, but that's 90% of my experiences.

Being a scumbag is what encourages that kind of behaviour.

Gave up reporting anti-social behaviour for the most part. Between slow response times and difficulty in identifying suspects, little ever comes of it.
    Know how that comes across, but that's 90% of my experiences.

I see your point but the poster referred to an attempted break in to his/her property. Not just some chaps shouting and being drunk around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

voz es wrote: »
    I have no appreciation for your bracketed word. I believe it to be an unnatural barrier of separation between people leading to distrust, labeling and in some cases isolation.

The choice to be different is just that, if there is laws and legislation in place for the population as a whole all should have to adhere to it.

Sadly the community that considers them selves travelers have a lower life expediency, higher health issues, higher crime rate, less employment, higher suicide rate, experience a high massive amount of prejudice and still this is a choice they make.

Thank you for illustrating my point so well.

People do not choose to be Traveller, any more than they choose to be Black, or female or gay. It is something you are born to - and science has proven that there is a genetic distinction: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/dna-study-travellers-a-distinct-ethnicity-156324.html

Agreed, some Travellers choose to behave in uncivilised ways - and sometimes this is out of pure bad-ass-ness. Some non-Traveller-Irish do the same. Generally a lower proportion, because non-Traveller are better educated (though if you count in deceitful bankers and other such white-collar-criminals, I suspect the proportions might even up.)

Some Travellers break private property laws. But so do some non-Travellers: adverse possession laws were not passed for the benefit of teh Travelling community!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Thank you for illustrating my point so well.

People do not choose to be Traveller, any more than they choose to be Black, or female or gay. It is something you are born to - and science has proven that there is a genetic distinction: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/dna-study-travellers-a-distinct-ethnicity-156324.html

Agreed, some Travellers choose to behave in uncivilised ways - and sometimes this is out of pure bad-ass-ness. Some non-Traveller-Irish do the same. Generally a lower proportion, because non-Traveller are better educated (though if you count in deceitful bankers and other such white-collar-criminals, I suspect the proportions might even up.)

Some Travellers break private property laws. But so do some non-Travellers: adverse possession laws were not passed for the benefit of teh Travelling community!

Na you are clutching at straws, keep your sparks. I'm looking forward to purpose built villages for brown haired people with red facial hair and squatters in your back garden checking do you know your rights or can they hold our for the 12 years.

I'm not going to engage you anymore.

I reckon being right is more important to you than the actually having the better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

voz es wrote: »

I'm not going to engage you anymore.

???
    It's your first post on this thread :O

I see your point but the poster referred to an attempted break in to his/her property. Not just some chaps shouting and being drunk around the place.

Sorry, I meant to respond to this earlier....
    If you think "chaps shouting and being drunk" is the extent of what I meant by anti-social behaviour, God bless your innocence.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that.
    Chaps!!!
    CHAPS!!!:pac:

Sorry, I meant to respond to this earlier....
    If you think "chaps shouting and being drunk" is the extent of what I meant by anti-social behaviour, God bless your innocence.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that.
    Chaps!!!
    CHAPS!!!:pac:

Attempted break in to your property is, in my opinion, more serious than people upturning dustbins, shouting around the place which are examples I would offer as anti-social behaviour. Would you agree with the above?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Evicted because there's not planning permission for the way it was being used. Or because it's shortly before an election. One or the other, or maybe both.

That's a pretty ridiculous / sensationalist and uninformed statement to make.

A. An board pleanala is the reason they were moved

B. Where they were located has a similar level of population as the Sahara desert!

C. The election is a general election not a city / council election

Attempted break in to your property is, in my opinion, more serious than people upturning dustbins, shouting around the place which are examples I would offer as anti-social behaviour. Would you agree with the above?

I would.
    But your previous post intimated that anti-social behaviour is no more than drunken hi-jinks, when it's usually way more serious.

I would.
    But your previous post intimated that anti-social behaviour is no more than drunken hi-jinks, when it's usually way more serious.

I see. No I was giving specific example of an anti social behaviour that would be seen as less serious than attempted break in to your house. Examples were chaps shouting drunk around the place and up turning bins. If I saw these behaviours I wouldn't report it to the Gardaí for various reasons whilst if someone attempted to break-in to my house I would 100% do so.

If that made you laugh out loud, well I don't really understand why.

Anti social behaviour such as I have described is not directed at a particular person and is therefore less serious than a break in, especially if you are at home at the time.

• Advertisement

I see. No I was giving specific example of an anti social behaviour that would be seen as less serious than attempted break in to your house. Examples were chaps shouting drunk around the place and up turning bins. If I saw these behaviours I wouldn't report it to the Gardaí for various reasons whilst if someone attempted to break-in to my house I would 100% do so.

If that made you laugh out loud, well I don't really understand why.

Anti social behaviour such as I have described is not directed at a particular person and is therefore less serious than a break in, especially if you are at home at the time.

We're just getting off the point of this thread now.
    Your posts seemed to imply your someone with little or no experience of the sort of serious anti-social behaviour myself and others have witnessed(apologies if untrue)
    I'm talking mass brawls( including use of weapons) drug dealing, spousal assault, animal cruelty, illegal dumping, destruction of private and public property, incompetent or disinterested parents complete lack of interest in controlling their children.
    I've witnessed all that and more.
    I've rung the Gardai countless times and seen nothing come of it and have been threatened for 'sticking your nose in"
    The terminology you used, "drunken chaps" seemed so innocuous to me, as to be laughable.
    Apologies for the assumptions made, but that's how that post came across.

We're just getting off the point of this thread now.
    Your posts seemed to imply your someone with little or no experience of the sort of serious anti-social behaviour myself and others have witnessed(apologies if untrue)
    I'm talking mass brawls( including use of weapons) drug dealing, spousal assault, animal cruelty, illegal dumping, destruction of private and public property, incompetent or disinterested parents complete lack of interest in controlling their children.
    I've witnessed all that and more.
    I've rung the Gardai countless times and seen nothing come of it and have been threatened for 'sticking your nose in"
    The terminology you used, "drunken chaps" seemed so innocuous to me, as to be laughable.
    Apologies for the assumptions made, but that's how that post came across.

Yes the thread has been subverted somewhat.

The personal jibe:'God bless your innocence' and the jibe at the post:'CHAPS' was the cause of that; both of which were based, as you have acknowledged, on assumptions on your part.

In any event, thanks for apology.
    Let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

And...... They're back. Same place in knocknacarra as last time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Davd wrote: »
    And...... They're back. Same place in knocknacarra as last time...

You're kidding. That's awful. Place was a disgrace with all the rubbish last time and with the caravans and cars and vans blocking sight distance coming out from the side road that the Aviva is located on. :mad:

They need to change the laws to the point where they can confiscate the caravans on the first instance of illegal occupation instead of needing to go through a long running process.

It's scandalous to think an element of society can force through their demands by such means to get free sites to live on.

When these tactics work and they have so many kids for benefits it just leads to further sites needed down the line to house the next batch.

This travelling lifestyle needs to be eradicated from the modern world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're just going around in circles. Court order is served, they move onto to somewhere else illegally, via breaking and entering. They've gone full circle now at this point, and have been ordered to leave Ballyloughane twice. At this point they must be violating one of those orders made against them.

This travelling lifestyle needs to be eradicated from the modern world.

There was a lad in Germany a few years back who tried something similar, I think ....

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

They were in Carnmore just off the motorway for the last two days near Divillys. Noticed them gone today. I guess that's where they went.

• Advertisement

There was a lad in Germany a few years back who tried something similar, I think ....

Jurgen Klinsmann?

Advertisement