Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers in Knocknacarra

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's scandalous to think an element of society can force through their demands by such means to get free sites to live on.

I'm sure we've all thought this at some point. Did the govt ever take a hard stance in history and what was the conclusion? Policies like this (or the dole) are always irksome when the public believes they're being taken advantage of. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the money spent aims to save tenfold the potential cost in taking a tough stance against 0.6% of the population for the sake of "fairness". Free services also give the govt a stick to beat them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sure we've all thought this at some point. Did the govt ever take a hard stance in history and what was the conclusion?

The Australian government did, with their itinerant indigenous population. Didn't work well there, they're still apologising for robbing people's children from them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The Australian government did, with their itinerant indigenous population. Didn't work well there, they're still apologising for robbing people's children from them.

If only there was some sort of middle ground between genocide and abdication of all personal responsibility..but clearly there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic before someone says "Hitler"

There was a lad in Germany a few years back who tried something similar, I think ....

I said eradicate the lifestyle, not the people.
    There's plenty of travellers living in houses that don't participate in this practice.

The problem is the law and the needs of people who want to live in convoys on the road/on sites, its not practical for people who cant afford the sites to live that way.

When it descends into, is abusing access to private lands and squatting on public sites to achieve aims of free land acquisition (which only grows with time) than that's a problem society needs to stamp out with law changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »
    Back on topic before someone says "Hitler"

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Cycle the road in Knocknacarra this morning and nothing, not even an empty bag of crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

topcat77 wrote: »
    Cycle the road in Knocknacarra this morning and nothing, not even an empty bag of crisps.

Nothing? Oh the horror. How could they!?

Advertisement