Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City V Spurs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

10 points clear of 5th

It's great but as far as I'm concerned 5th is no longer our concern. If we don't think we're in a title race now then we might as well give up and start caring about things like our profit and net spend.

I honestly believe we can do this now. I mean why not? A win away from 1st with 12 to play. If we were Chelsea we'd probably be joint favourites.

If it were up to me I'd rest absolutely everyone that was humanly possible for the EL and FA cup. To use a poker analogy there comes a time to push all in and after to day it's ours.

I have to say when it went 1-1 my first thought went to hold onto the draw and at least we have pulled a point away from United, not doing that anymore. I think we have earned the right to look up the table now and not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Staring with next week's f.a. cup game we now play Sun/Thurs/Sun/Thurs/Sun/Wed/Sat with that last Saturday been the NLD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

If United think they can nick 4th off City they'll have to beat arsenal on the 28th.
    Which is nice.

If United think they can nick 4th off City they'll have to beat arsenal on the 28th.
    Which is nice.

Also;
    https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/ax4n.mp4

• Advertisement

I think it's a real test of where your head is at if you look at that united/Arsenal match and who see who you want to win. United all the way for me. The added bonus that beating them would probably buy LVG to the end of the Season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Staring with next week's f.a. cup game we now play Sun/Thurs/Sun/Thurs/Sun/Wed/Sat with that last Saturday been the NLD.

We actually start next Thursday, it goes like this: Thurs/Sun/Thurs/Sun/Wed/Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Patww79 wrote:

Believe brother, believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

ziedth wrote: »

If it were up to me I'd rest absolutely everyone that was humanly possible for the EL and FA cup. To use a poker analogy there comes a time to push all in and after to day it's ours.

never mind the league, with Palace up next why should we not be thinking abut the double? I personally found today very nerve wracking and cant see myself getting through the next few months.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

never mind the league, with Palace up next why should we not be thinking abut the double? I personally found today very nerve wracking and cant see myself getting through the next few months.
    COYS

I know exactly what you mean, the nerves will be wrecked but hey better than playing for mid table nothingness :)

Colud be a complete mess nerves wise come May.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean, the nerves will be wrecked but hey better than playing for mid table nothingness :)

Colud be a complete mess nerves wise come May.

BIG TIME... i was all over the shop today. It means more to us than any other fans I reckon. I honestly cant really believe that we are going to challenge for the title, but even typing it here is more than I honestly ever thought I would be doing. If it does happen I will be over come with emotion and may as well give up on football because I dont think it could get any better.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

BIG TIME... i was all over the shop today. It means more to us than any other fans I reckon. I honestly cant really believe that we are going to challenge for the title, but even typing it here is more than I honestly ever thought I would be doing. If it does happen I will be over come with emotion and may as well give up on football because I dont think it could get any better.
    COYS

We'd have a champions league to win and a title to defend next season. Plenty to shout about!

Enjoy the next 10 weeks or so lads.

Whatever happens between now and May it might be another 30 years before we are in a title race again so savour every moment. It's fantastic.

Seen spurs in august last year in Sydney. First time in Australia since 1985.

1985. The last time Spurs were second in February. Coincidence?

Going to see them in Melbourne end of July this year aswell. With hopefully a PL trophy travelling with them!

Whatever happens between now and May it might be another 30 years before we are in a title race again so savour every moment. It's fantastic.

That's a very good point. I'm getting a little emotional about the whole thing now but whatever happens down the line nothing will ever take away from today when we were title challengers (for however long it may last) It was actually surreal when that final whistle went today. The 4th place Chelsea horror show that cost us the CL place I thought cost me that child like enthusiasm for football. It's back today big time. I'm just buzzing around I'd say the wife thinks I'm on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

We are in second place 2 points behind Leicester on Valentines Day. The question is not "can we?" It is "why can't we?" We have a manager and a team that believes and we are unlikely to have a better chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Why might it be another 30 year wait? if we don't do it this year and poch and all the players stay on we could be challenging for the title for the next couple of seasons with this young team, and they will have more experience aswell.

I can't help but look at April. We've got a very tough run in compared to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Beating Arsenal at home will be key...the run in is tough but so is Leicesters (look at their last 3 games)

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I wonder will that late goal on Sunday knock Lecister a bit? It's easy to play like champions when your winning but a blow like that it'll be interesting to see what kind of team lines out against Norwich. I wouldn't rule out an upset there and like that's been said there by sleds most teams will be lucky to get 2/3 points out of there final three games.

• Advertisement

I think Leicester have enough about them to recover from it, maybe even take something positive.. But it's huge for Spurs and allows for serious title consideration

tippspur wrote:
    Why might it be another 30 year wait? if we don't do it this year and poch and all the players stay on we could be challenging for the title for the next couple of seasons with this young team, and they will have more experience aswell.

True. Logically you would think so after all we will have roughly the same squad and management (hopefully) and will be a year more experienced.

The reason I said '30 years' is because it is 30 years since we were last in a title race - 86/87 (could argue 89/90) and I'm sure both times another title challenge was expected the following season but they were far from it.

More recently just look at Liverpool finishing 2nd two seasons ago. No where near a title challenge last year or this so I'm just saying we should savour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Yesterday couldn't have gone much better.
    With two cup games coming before de next PL game it is an ideal time to rest Kane, Dier n Toby, maybe others. Be good to give some experience to de young lads who may have to be called in league before season's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Yesterday couldn't have gone much better.
    With two cup games coming before de next PL game it is an ideal time to rest Kane, Dier n Toby, maybe others. Be good to give some experience to de young lads who may have to be called in league before season's end.

I agree, would be great to give more gametime to the likes of Onomah, Carroll, Mason, Bentaleb and Chadli.

I can see Poch fielding a full strength team on Thursday though. He might make changes for the FA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Patww79 wrote: »

I can't see him just dropping it, it's a chance of a trophy.

I dont know if he's the type to not field a strong team if he thinks they are fit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Lamelas ball to Christy was identical to his ball to Mason v Sunderland.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Patww79 wrote: »
    If he fields a full strength team on Thursday then we at least know he doesn't believe there's a title challenge on.

You're way off.

He's consistently said he believes the squad is capable of competing on several fronts.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    You're way off.

He's consistently said he believes the squad is capable of competing on several fronts.

I agree with this. Potch doesnt have a defeatist attitude and cant see why we should win every game. Its an attitude that the like of Fergie had, treat every competition as if you want to win it... nothing wrong with that imho.

Advertisement