Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog training

• 13-02-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have 2 dogs, a 3 year old golden retriever and 2 year old Neapolitan mastiff. They're a bit unruly, they bark a lot across the hedge at passers by and when out walking, they can tend to lunge at other dogs. Not in a viscous way but more over zealous.
    We're looking at moving to the city so I need to get rid of these habits first. Has anyone tried bringing dogs to dog trainers ... have people had good experiences of this and how much does it cost approximately?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In most cases where there are a few reasonably difficult problems such as you describe, you're better to have the trainer come to you.
    A 2 hour in-home, one-to-one session can cost from €60 (you'd generally be getting a fairly inexperienced and/or unqualified trainer for that price) to around about €120 (experienced and qualified), though I do know of one or two who are exorbitantly more expensive, qualifications or not!
    Did you say in your other thread that you're in south Meath? What part? I ask, as someone here may be able to recommend one of the better trainers that cover the area to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

DBB wrote: »
    In most cases where there are a few reasonably difficult problems such as you describe, you're better to have the trainer come to you.
    A 2 hour in-home, one-to-one session can cost from €60 (you'd generally be getting a fairly inexperienced and/or unqualified trainer for that price) to around about €120 (experienced and qualified), though I do know of one or two who are exorbitantly more expensive, qualifications or not!
    Did you say in your other thread that you're in south Meath? What part? I ask, as someone here may be able to recommend one of the better trainers that cover the area to you :)

Hey DBB,

Thanks for the reply. I live in Dunsany, just outside Dunshaughlin in case you're unfamiliar. If you know someone around the area, I'd be very interested in contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Personally I don't see any point in "sending a dog for training" as usually it is both the dog and owner that needs training imo. I even see it with my own dog, he behaves differently for myself and my husband as we interact with him differently.

soulglo79 wrote: »
    Hey DBB,

Thanks for the reply. I live in Dunsany, just outside Dunshaughlin in case you're unfamiliar. If you know someone around the area, I'd be very interested in contacting them.

*nnngggg* There's a very good trainer in Dunsany would you believe! However, she's on a career break at the min, so... Damn!
    There's also Karl Sweeney based in Enfield, not too far away
    http://trainingdogs.ie/
    Karl has a really good behavioural qualification under his belt, and is certified with APDT Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

I just got a ten year old dog that never bn trained any Chance of house training him at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I fully recommend Emmeline from Citizen canine Ireland, she came my house for a 2 hour session & the difference in my dogs is amazing. If u contact her through her website citizencanineireland & outline your problem & she what she says.

coathanger wrote: »
    I fully recommend Emmeline from Citizen canine Ireland, she came my house for a 2 hour session & the difference in my dogs is amazing. If u contact her through her website citizencanineireland & outline your problem & she what she says.

Emmaline is fab, but I didn't list her as I don't think she'd cover up as far as Dunsany. I could be wrong though! Might be worth a call OP :)

marathon wrote: »
    I just got a ten year old dog that never bn trained any Chance of house training him at this stage?

Has he lived outside all the time?
    Have you ever noticed that he tends to toilet in one area whilst outside?
    I actually find adult dogs easier to housetrain in many ways, as they "get it" faster, their brains are more used to asking us what to do next! But it depends on the dog... there's every chance you'll be able to housetrain an older dog, as they *usually* have a bit of a routine and a hankering to toilet outside at this stage of life... the secret is to treat your older dog as if he's a pup, getting him outside regularly, and rewarding him for going outside :)

Advertisement