Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New dog!

• 13-02-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I collected my new friend from the rescue this afternoon. He's a very handsome pointer cross who has been called Fudge, and will now be known as Finn, I think. He pulls like a train, and is too nervous at the moment to assess what training he does have, but I'm looking forward to getting to know him

photo%202_zpscdmtlwtn.jpg

photo%201_zpsaqfxdoui.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

kylith wrote: »
    I collected my new friend from the rescue this afternoon. He's a very handsome pointer cross who has been called Fudge, and will now be known as Finn, I think. He pulls like a train, and is too nervous at the moment to assess what training he does have, but I'm looking forward to getting to know him

photo%201_zpsaqfxdoui.jpg

Congratulations Kylith, he looks smashing! The very best of luck with Finn and I hope you have many long and happy years together 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

So delighted for you Kylith, I know you and Finn will have many happy years together. Your 2 dogs Rani and Tegan had a great life with you, as will Finn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

He is gorgeous :) Enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ooohhh, best of luck to you both... He's gorgeous! You can see he's nervous alright, but once he gets into the swing of things he'll fly it.
    Beautiful boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

CONGRATULATIONS!
    He is really gorgeous - course we are all biased on here, and doubly biased because you did the wonderful job of rescuing him :)

Poor little chap - he looks so worried - but no doubt with your loving care, he will settle in quickly and have a lovely happy life of love and care :) Keep us posted often on progress and lots more photos!

• Advertisement

Lucky little man, he doesn't know it yet, he will by this time next week though :D

I'm jealous tbh with work etc I can't have a dog but I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations he is a beauty. He mightn't realise it yet but he has fallen on all four paws getting to go home with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Augeo wrote: »
    Lucky little man, he doesn't know it yet, he will by this time next week though :D

I'm jealous tbh with work etc I can't have a dog but I love them.

I'm very, very lucky that I have a dog-mad retired neighbour who volunteered herself to call in every day as soon as she heard I was thinking about getting another one. And all I have to do is keep her in crosswords :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

awh, the poor guy looks like he dosent have a clue what going on :( he'll realise soon!

Amazing! best of luck!!!

Actually folks can anyone recommend a good front-attach harness? He pulls like mad and the rescue has trained him to walk on one. I've seen the Halti one around but I don't like it because there's no padding. If anyone can tell me where to find one with some padding I'll owe you big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Kylith, enjoy getting to know your new bed friend!! What a beautiful name, Finn, for a stunning dog. He really is a gorgeous doggie��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Welcome Finn & well done on choosing a rescue dog.
    I recommend the Easy Walk harness or the Walk Right harness, they made some difference to my new rescue who arrived in November.

I hope ye will be very happy together.

The Walk Right one looks pretty good, any idea where I could get it one in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

The Walk Right one looks pretty good, any idea where I could get it one in Dublin?

Petmania stock them I believe, there are a few stores dotted around Dublin, give ur local store a call, I always find them very helpful. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I personally favour the Freedom Harness. http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0285/7756/products/HARNESS_SIDE_-_CLOSE_1024x1024.jpg?v=1430945014 Front attach loop and martingale-style back attachment.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Getting a new home is very tiring

photo_zpsidjg4k1r.jpg

Getting a new home is very tiring

photo_zpsidjg4k1r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Aw, bless! He has a lovely face. I hope you have many, many happy years together :)

I use a Halti harness on my Ridgebacks and find it great. I got mine in my vet's but I think Petstop have them too.

He was quiet last night; I got up a couple of times to check on him, but all he did was eat half the chew I left with him. He isn't keen about being in the garden, but I sat out with him before I went to bed until he had a wee and he didn't toilet in the house which is great. He's not keen on my dad at all, and I think that a man must have hit him in the past. He's also not eaten much but that's likely to be nerves and stress so he'll probably start wolfing food down in the next day or so, and he needs it because he could definitely stand to put on a few pounds.

The only problem so far is walking him. He was surrendered in the first place because he dislocated his previous owner's shoulder and I can see why; he pulls like a carthorse, and when you couple that with how he starts and stops it'd be very easy to topple over or get your arm jerked. He's also clearly used to being in the lead when walking because he wants to be directly in front of me so I keep almost falling over him because he's trying to get under my legs (I'm keeping the lead short to keep him beside me so he can't get into pulling position). We're off to a petshop shortly to get a front-attach harness which the rescue promised would make him a different dog to walk. I hope it does!

Getting a new home is very tiring.....

Wow...... few days he'll be licking you to death :D

• Advertisement

I got a Halti harness today and the difference is phenominal. It makes him much more manageable. Hopefully I can use it to train a loose-lead walk and eventually won't need it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

He's georgous, he's a lucky dog now! He looks so vunerable in the pics. Whats his personality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I got a Halti harness today and the difference is phenominal. It makes him much more manageable. Hopefully I can use it to train a loose-lead walk and eventually won't need it :)

"300 pecks" is worth investigating alongside actual training classes. Always keep a good supply of tiny but yummy treats when you're out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

wow he is stunning!! well done on rescuing him!!! he has fallen on his paws with you!! :D

Try the dogmatic head collar i find it great to stop my guy from pulling XX

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

aonb wrote: »
    GREAT to read the progress of a rescue dog! Just goes to show that a bit of TLC is what it takes to get past the fear. You must be thrilled to see that you are getting there :) More photos please!

He's still nervous, especially around the road, but he's doing so much better. He's even started trying to complain if we don't go the way he wants to on a walk :D like you say; we're getting there. He has decided that the sofa is never off limits and since he can get onto it by leaping over the coffee table it's impossible to keep him off so I've had to develop manners myself and start eating dinner at the dining table like a grown up.

He's off his food today, which I'm not smiling about. Probably just a stomach bug. He's currently on a mix of Burns and Markus Muhle, but i'm thinking of switching to a totally grain free food. He also gets an egg in the morning and half a tin of sardines in oil in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Finn has fallen on his feet!. Well done for giving a rescue dog a forever home. My very best wishes to you both for a long and loving relationship.:)

Just to update ye on Finn;

The lead training is going really well. On some streets he is walking practically perfectly, on others we're still at the 'stopping every three steps' phase. I guess he has to learn that I mean it on every street. One thing that has really helped is that we are now at a stage where he knows me and he knows I'm his human and he doesn't want to go too far from me (treats really help, even if sometimes he gets a bit caught up in smells) so I can actually have him off lead for most of the walk and he can run himself ragged then kip on the sofa for the evening.

The best thing about the training going well is that I have been able to switch from the front-attach harness which was chafing his armpits quite badly to a normal harness which fits much more comfortably around his ribs. He's quite lightly coated and thin skinned and really has been rubbed raw by the Halti harness and had all the hair on his chest chafed off by the Truelove one*. The one I'm using now is Rani's old one; how a harness previously worn by a 9kg cairn can be adusted to fit a 21kg pointer/lurcher/great white dope I'm not quite sure but it does and it's great.

* Which is in all other respects a great harness: well made, good reflective stitching, padded, handle on the back that can be used with seatbelts, and looks darn snazzy on him. I'm annoyed I can't use it and am considering getting another one in a smaller size and donating this one to the rescue.

"This is my couch. There are many like it but this one is mine"

photo%202%205_zpshewe5hk2.jpg

"The joy of flight"

photo%201%205_zps33nmutzx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Those photos are worlds apart from the ones in your OP. He looks so content and relaxed on his sofa. :) And so, so handsome too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

For a comfy harness for a thin skinned, thin haired dog, you can't get better than a perfect fit harness, it's fleece lined so it won't chafe and you can buy different pieces in different sizes to really get the perfect fit.

And it comes in pretty colours too:)

http://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness/40mm-harness.html

• Advertisement

Isn't he just Bluecherry!

Then

Now
    12806154_10153675685839652_9142675739789163309_n_zpsqv0nhfjc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Pointer cross that loves to pull - perfect canicross partner :)

muddypaws wrote: »
    Pointer cross that loves to pull - perfect canicross partner :)

The bikejoring might be more my speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

He looks so much healthier and happier now that he has a happy home, well done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

always LOVELY to read about a rescue dog settling in to his new home, and a bond starting between him/his human :):)
    Could you put a fleece undercoat under the harness to stop chaffing?
    These very fine coated dogs rub easily - will he build up a better coat do you think, or is that the way he is?
    He looks so much better btw - you must be so pleased with him? Is the bond there yet? COntinued success with the training and the settling in

aonb wrote: »
    always LOVELY to read about a rescue dog settling in to his new home, and a bond starting between him/his human :):)
    Could you put a fleece undercoat under the harness to stop chaffing?
    These very fine coated dogs rub easily - will he build up a better coat do you think, or is that the way he is?
    He looks so much better btw - you must be so pleased with him? Is the bond there yet? COntinued success with the training and the settling in

I've thought of cutting up some old sheepskin boots to make wee sleeves for the harness, but the new one seems to be doing the job nicely. I think his coat is just how it is, unless I start keeping him outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sometimes sled dogs wear special t shirt type things under their harnesses to prevent harness rub. You could probably find a child's tshirt to fit him, in case you have to change harness again, the harness would keep it in place I would imagine.

Advertisement