Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 pc restore it or buy a new one ???

Options
  • 13-02-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my PC back in 2009 but sadly it's near it's end. It's a windows 7 hp.

The performance is acceptable but the 7 USB ports are starting to go, as it's not wifi I use a dongle which lacks decent performance and my wireless keyboard is not getting picked up.

My monitor is not a USB or hdmi connection

I only use the PC for football manager, web browser, backing up my photos, downloading vids and making video files.

So is it better to buy a new PC or get a mega service on my current one ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How about a PCI/PCIE USB card and a USB hub, if the built-in USB sockets are failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You don,t need usb or hdmi on a monitor as long as it has the resolution and the screen display quality you require .
    My monitor has 2 speakers ,i use a 3.5mm audio cable to send the audio from the pc to the monitor .
    try changing the wifi channel,
    you may be getting wifi interference from your neighbours on the same channel .
    Can you get fast wifi on your phone .
    i use a 20 ft cable ethernet to connect my pc to the router .
    IF you live in a big house maybe put the router in the hall or near the wall
    that is nearer where the pc is located.
    The last thing i would expect to go on a pc is the usb ports .
    maybe you have a virus.
    That,s slowing down windows normal operation .
    i have a sony laptop from 2010 ,windows 7, it works as well as it did on the day i bought it .
    A wifi card installed in the pc ,
    might work better, if there,s a free pci slot on the motherboard.
    cost 20 euro approx.

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Wireless/subcat/Adapters---PCI-Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I could get my 7 USB ports replaced and get a wifi card installed. I have a 2tb portable hard drive so that's a backup for space. The PC has a 275 gb drive.

Or I could get a brand new pc on the never never as I can't really afford to pay the full amount upfront.

The speed and capabilities of newer desktops would lose my current 2009 desktop. I have a iPad and a HTC One m9 but nothing beats sitting down infront of ur PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

have you any budget to spare in mind if getting new pc,since seems you just need basics from your desktop,since usb issue could be solved with getting usb hub for couple e and connecting to one working port,wifi will suck either way since its the card you buy that makes some difference and distance other factors that affect speeds in the house so wired is best for speed as told above.

All said its really up to you if you feel same pc with a bit of maintenance and spending sub 50e to get few parts,clean it out,new os install and you'll be running as usual.Otherwise check adverts,donedeal there's plenty of work pcs with extras for around 300-400e that will give you another few years at least hassle free and some performance.

like of the top list from adverts here,even with the monitor:http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-inspiron-660/9847294

basically find some private seller and get i3 i5 with some ram and you'll be grand if feel upgrade is needed-no point getting new from sorts of pcworld or online since you'd pay same for way less performance otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

what's hard disk space like on the existing set up? If nearly full, consider a new pc. If it still has space, maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I could get my 7 USB ports replaced and get a wifi card installed. I have a 2tb portable hard drive so that's a backup for space. The PC has a 275 gb drive.

Or I could get a brand new pc on the never never as I can't really afford to pay the full amount upfront.

The speed and capabilities of newer desktops would lose my current 2009 desktop. I have a iPad and a HTC One m9 but nothing beats sitting down infront of ur PC.

If your main issues are the usb ports I would get the PCI card and an external hub to solve that issue and for the WiFi as mentioned above look at placement of router. Center of house not beside a structural wall is normally the best position.

You could also look at a long Ethernet cable if u were able to run it out of sight or look into homeplugs so you can plug directly into the pc and avoid WiFi either.

If cash is tight I wouldnt bother buying new if you are happy with speed etc... although if you went that route you wouldnt need a very high spec/expensive machine for your needs.

It's owes me nothing my current PC and would like a change as the speed of load ups, DVD burning, the noise etc is annoying.

Looking at a all in one PC ( HP 21.5 touchscreen) with a Bluetooth keypad and mouse. It should all come to 750 so if I cud save for a few months I could ponder my options.

Can I copy all my music onto my portable drive from my PC and copy them onto the new one but as I have an iPod touch and use iTunes is there a way of maintaining my library for a new PC ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could buy a caddy for the existing drive and use as an extra backup. Plus if would save you the hassle if an extra transfer process. You could also connect current pc to new one via Ethernet cable and transfer data directly.

if easy to add in another sata drive 1tb or more ,
    into a pc.
    You could buy a new pc and it could be very loud ,
    My pc 2.0ghz dual core hp is totally silent .
    IT only makes noise for 3 minutes ,
    when i burn a cd or dvdr disc.
    the noise of a pc comes from mainly the power supply fan
    and the fan on the graphics card or the fan on the cpu .
    My pc has 2 fans completely silent .
    You could install a quiet power supply .
    more expensive than brands x power supply .
    my pc has 2 empty drive slots for 3.5inch drives .
    most pcs have 1 or 2 spare sata power,data , slots on the motherboard .

I bought a pc on adverts.ie ,
    i never use it,
    cpu 2.oghz,2gig ram, as the power supply sounds like a very loud hoover .
    I use my pc for web browsing, music,podcasts ,and youtube .
    i had the chance to test it before buying and i did not test it.
    my laptop dual core 2gig ram is completely silent .

I would not pay 10 euro for a new pc if it has a loud noise level from the psu or the cpu fan.

• Advertisement

It's owes me nothing my current PC and would like a change as the speed of load ups, DVD burning, the noise etc is annoying.

Looking at a all in one PC ( HP 21.5 touchscreen) with a Bluetooth keypad and mouse. It should all come to 750 so if I cud save for a few months I could ponder my options.

Can I copy all my music onto my portable drive from my PC and copy them onto the new one but as I have an iPod touch and use iTunes is there a way of maintaining my library for a new PC ???

Yeah you can back your stuff up that way no bother.

In relation to the itunes library this link takes you through how to do it:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204318

For a new pc to be honest for your needs you wouldn't need to spend anywhere near that money unless it had something specific that you really wanted.

Windows 7 Home Premim
    Service Pack 1

Model- HP CQ5226UK

Processor- Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz

Installed Memory (RAM)- 2.00 GB

64 bit operating system

Windows Experience Index

Processor- 6.1
    Memory (RAM)- 5.5
    Graphics- 4.3
    Gaming Graphics- 3.5
    Primary Hard Disc- 5.9

Put in another 2gig of ram ,it,ll speed up the pc ,
    allowing you to say open 20 tabs at the same time.
    and download 3 podcasts .
    do this ,
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7
    i buy ram from Cex or pcworld .
    ram from cex is cheap .

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I have a similar spec'ed PC to that at home being used as our plex/minecraft/gaming server.
    I would say re-install windows 7 before you do/buy anything else.
    My guess is most of your problems will disappear.
    Check that the USB hubs/ports are not switched to energy saving mode.
    This is where they switch themselves off after a period of inactivity.
    Really annoying because it causes your wifi dongle to stop working and you lose internet access.

If you can, wire the computer directly into your router.

Would agree, you probably need another 2gb Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That. Plus upgrade to W10 straight after, it uses RAM more efficiently than Windows 7 on older lower spec machines in my experience. Don't go mad opening tabs and your 2GB will be ok for light use.

Cost of this fix: €0.00 plus your time :)

I have 2 laptops dual core 1.8ghz,
    one has 2gig ram,
    one has 4gig ram ,
    the one with 4gig feels much faster ,never slows down.
    running windows 7 64bit premium.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=200PINSMBPCPN&name=2%20GB%20PC8500%20DDR3%20204%20Pin%20Memory#.VsNnuvmLRxA
    pc ram in cex i think 2gig ddr2 is 10-15euro,
    i,ll probably put in another 2gig ram in the older laptop ,cpu 32bit.

I have tried to download the free windows 10 upgrade but I get an error which says download failed. I was thinking of getting an ISO of the windows 10 update file off my dads laptop and install on it on my PC through that.

Thinking of getting a USB hub and putting it in the fastest USB port on my PC. I would not have a clue about installing ram cards to my hard drive myself.

If I went to my local PC world and said I need this and that put in my PC would charge me over 100 Euro ???

I have tried to download the free windows 10 upgrade but I get an error which says download failed. I was thinking of getting an ISO of the windows 10 update file off my dads laptop and install on it on my PC through that.

Thinking of getting a USB hub and putting it in the fastest USB port on my PC. I would not have a clue about installing ram cards to my hard drive myself.

If I went to my local PC world and said I need this and that put in my PC would charge me over 100 Euro ???

Yes they would royally screw you on price. It isnt vey complicated and loads of tutorials on youtube. Or if you know someone techy or even may be a boardsie near you that could help you out.

Ram is probably simplest thing to upgrade since it just pops in if you wanted to look at doing it yourself but I would look for the same as what you have from amazon or memory c as it is best used in matching pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is there a real need for Windows 10 given that you only use it for football manager? I think it's unnecessary, tbh. Windows 7 works fine.

• Advertisement

everything back working now. keyboard is working ok, wifi acceptable. possbilty a windows update helped and the fact i didnt turn on my pc yesterday. heres hoping it stays ok

IF you have windows 7 32bit os,you can only use 4gig ram.
    put in another 2 gig ram.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/129177/article.html?page=2

2. Protect your PC's delicate circuits from static electricity by properly grounding yourself. If you don't have a grounding strap, at least touch a metal faucet, pipe, or even your computer's case before touching the inside of your PC or any component.

4. If you need to remove an existing module, gently push down on the clips on either side of the RAM socket. The module will pop up slightly and should be easy to pull out.

5. Take the new RAM modules out of their static-free envelope and place them on top of the envelope. Always hold a RAM module by pinching the edges of the module; avoid touching the chips or circuitry on the face.

your ram is 240 pin, DDR3 SDRAM pc3 6400 your pc takes 4gig ram max.

Theres probably 2ram slots on the motherboard .
    slot one with 2gig ram chip,
    put new 2gig chip in slot 2 .
    You can open the pc case to check is there 1 free ram slot .

Touch a water pipe in the kitchen, and touch the pc case frame ,before
    you handle the ram chip and install it.
    To get rid of static electricity from your body.
    Hold the ram chips by the sides,
    do not touch the pc motherboard or the ram chip in the middle .

Put the ram in the slot gently ,
    it should look like the other ram chip,
    ,label facing the same direction ,both ram chips will be the same height.
    if its installed right the 2 clips either side of the ram will click into place on both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3zMv9dPWw

Match the gap cut off part of the ram chip to the gap in the ram chip slot on the motherboard.

Would it be possible to get ram into this hard drive.

The fan is really dusty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Would it be possible to get ram into this hard drive.

The fan is really dusty lol

The side panel should just slip off. Looks like the one of the left of the pic is the one that comes off. That fan outlet is seriously in need of a vacuum!
    Anyhoo, once it's off you can take a pic of the inside and we can see what the deal is regarding RAM slots. Should be two.

I have a pc about 6 years old,
    i,m gonna put 4gig ram ddr2 600 into it, and a new psu ,
    It has no psu, it has a radeon 9600 512meg ddr3 vram sparkle card.I fitted a large
    CPU cooler in it 5 years ago.

i think the cpu is 64bit athlon.
    its got onboard grahics card 128meg vram .
    there,s probably 2 ram slots , 1 slot empty
    on your hp pc .

I looked up that model on hp support ,
    it says you can add 2gig ram ,
    to bring it up to 4gig .

Advertisement