Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim still neccessary?

Options
  • 13-02-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Howdy,
    I did a search on this and read some posts but they were all from 2012.
    As ssd technology moves so fast (at least to me) maybe the info is outdated.
    I through a few quid at my 2012 Macbook pro and upgraded the hard drive.

Do I need to 'optimize' or 'TRIM' this SSD? Im still reading up on what they mean but if it is important then maybe I will do it. oR IS IT A CASE OF ITS NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT?

Its running really well. Blackmagic disk speed shows a 7 times increase in write speed and nearly 10 times in read speed.
    Well happy.

After a clean install I migrated everything over to my new SSD and then wiped the old dive. Lubbly Jubbly.

16gb ram up from 8gb. (crucial ram for mac)
    500gb Samsung evo 850
    Old hard drive in to optibay
    Old optibay into a cheapo (but very useful) plastic caddy which hooks up via usb.
    Removed and cleaned the fan which was f*%&*%* MANKY.

Im just looking to get the best performance/ longest lifespan from this drive as thats it for the next very very long time!!

Any advice and thoughts welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TRIM is the result of the fact that NAND cant "overwrite" a cell, it has to zero(delete) then write the new data. This core tech hasn't changed, they've just got faster and denser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There used to be an application called Trim Enabler for MacOS that worked up until Mavericks. Yosemite killed it and the author gave up on it's development for a while. It's back now and supports recent versions of the OS but it's no longer free and costs $10.

Apple installed SSDs automatically enabled Trim for the drive but 3rd party drives weren't entertained. This changed with Yosemite and El Capitain and Trim is now supported for 3rd party drives.

Have a look here to learn how to enable it.

If you use Bootcamp to install Windows on your Mac be sure to disable the Task Scheduler in Windows from running Defragmentation.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Many thanks for the replies lads. Would you reccomend doing this job while the hard drive is young and new or is it a 'wait until its much fuller' or something?

Advertisement