Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/Cheap parking spots near Dun Laoghaire Pier

Options
  • 13-02-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

So as the title says, I'm wondering where to park my car tomorrow(Sunday)? Are there any cheap/free parking spots? I know of DL shopping centre - read somewhere they charge 3e for the day, don't know how true that is. Any other place anyone can suggest near the pier?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ash1511 wrote: »
    Hi,

So as the title says, I'm wondering where to park my car tomorrow(Sunday)? Are there any cheap/free parking spots? I know of DL shopping centre - read somewhere they charge 3e for the day, don't know how true that is. Any other place anyone can suggest near the pier?

Thanks in advance.

Go down the Main Street and turn down to wards the Haddington hotel/ Oilivetti, that's the best free parking on Sunday's leaves you by the steps at the end of the east pier

Anywhere on the road, apart from within harbour boundaries, is free parking on Sunday.

Once you go past the roundabout at the ferry terminal, you're into the harbour and that is pay parking all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

ted1 wrote: »
    Go down the Main Street and turn down to wards the Haddington hotel/ Oilivetti, that's the best free parking on Sunday's leaves you by the steps at the end of the east pier

that gets jammed early doors with all the vendors for the market parking there. Clarinda park is the best bet on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Crofton Road and the streets off it. Crofton is the road the bus terminus and Dart station is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Anywhere on the road, apart from within harbour boundaries, is free parking on Sunday.

Once you go past the roundabout at the ferry terminal, you're into the harbour and that is pay parking all day.

Inside the harbour once you go past the west pier you are back into DLR parking regime which should be free on sundays. The first carpark is not that popular (it includes what looks like a small halting site). I have never had any trouble there. The second carpark (beyond the pumping station) is much nicer and is DLR too AFAIK but its a longer walk to the pier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

that gets jammed early doors with all the vendors for the market parking there. Clarinda park is the best bet on a Sunday

I never have a problem parking there. I think your thinking of the wrong road

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Awaaf wrote: »
    Inside the harbour once you go past the west pier you are back into DLR parking regime which should be free on sundays. The first carpark is not that popular (it includes what looks like a small halting site). I have never had any trouble there. The second carpark (beyond the pumping station) is much nicer and is DLR too AFAIK but its a longer walk to the pier.

I should say there is an old character who sometimes does a bit of the old lock-hard routine in the first car park on Sundays. I have given him 50c or so on occasions and nothing on others (when I had no change) - he doesn't seem to give any hassle either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For anyone searching in the future who comes across this thread, all of the public roads with P&D parking under the control of DLR co. co. are free on Sundays while the DL harbour company charges €2 per hour 0900-2000 every day with a minimum charge of €2.

Rates for the different zones are here, DLR co. co. roads are zoned Dx while the harbour roads are Hx. The harbour zones differ only by their all-day rates, the hourly rate is €2 on all of their roads and car parks.

https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations.html

Also note that the harbour police sanction is a clamp (€70 release fee) while the co. co. streets are policed by DLR Parking Services who give out parking tickets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Michaels Hospital is also free on Sundays but it fills up early in winter / spring as people going sailing use it.

As for DLH, yes it's expensive but certain areas are €4/day or €8/day look for the signs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

coylemj wrote: »
    the DL harbour company charges €2 per hour 0900-2000 every day with a minimum charge of €2.

Not the full story as there is discounted parking available at a flat rate within the harbour.

http://dlharbour.ie/parking/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ash1511

Thanks guys. I roamed around the whole town but couldn't find a free spot. People had parked their cars in the loading bays as well. So I ended up parking in the shopping centre for 3e for the whole day.

Advertisement