Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Irritations thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I have been trying to make a mirror glazed cake for the last few weeks. My attempts have been miserable. Between the jelly layer (which i've since abandoned) being lumpy, the mousse being over beaten and the cake being too heavy and sinking.

I think I finally got it last night and it's currently in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Probably already mentioned, but the fecking American "cup" system.

Came across a nice looking soup recipe, but it calls for "6 cups of broccoli florets". I have no fecking idea how much that is. 10kilos? Quarter of a head? A fistful? How much broccoli do I need to buy?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thoie wrote: »
    Probably already mentioned, but the fecking American "cup" system.

Came across a nice looking soup recipe, but it calls for "6 cups of broccoli florets". I have no fecking idea how much that is. 10kilos? Quarter of a head? A fistful? How much broccoli do I need to buy?!?!

I have a set of cup measurements at home, and I find them handy for roughly measuring rice, etc as well as US recipes using cups of flour or sugar. But some things are not easily measured in cups!

Having said that, I've never measured broccoli before :p I just feck some in!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Malari wrote: »
    I have a set of cup measurements at home, and I find them handy for roughly measuring rice, etc as well as US recipes using cups of flour or sugar. But some things are not easily measured in cups!

Butter for instance! Or sometimes they give the recipe however many "sticks" of butter. No idea :confused:

Malari wrote: »

Broccoli is the main ingredient. If I was using one of my own recipes I'd just chuck in a "head" of broccoli. But it's also using cashews, which I've never used in soup before, so I'm not really sure of the quantities :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Volume, as opposed to weight, measurements are actually very handy for measuring some ingredients and some types of recipe, mainly baking, and it doesn't really matter if you use cups or ml/dl/l, but broccoli florets??? That's just silly.

The answer as to how much broccoli is in a cup will depend on how big the florets are, the smaller they are, the less room occupied by air and therefore the higher the weight. Also, if making broccoli soup, the whole lot goes in when I'm making it, stalks and all, so no dainty little florets either.

Anyway I'd say just play it by ear, and if when you add the liquid it doesn't cover the ingredients, just add a bit more and make more soup :D Conversely if it looks like the ingredients are going to be completely drowned, just don't add all the liquid, and see what it's like after blending, you can always add some more liquid afterwards.

Alun wrote: »
    The answer as to how much broccoli is in a cup will depend on how big the florets are, the smaller they are, the less room occupied by air and therefore the higher the weight. Also, if making broccoli soup, the whole lot goes in when I'm making it, stalks and all, so no dainty little florets either.

Having the same conversation with a friend over on twitter. If I'm cooking broccoli to eat, I don't particularly like the stalks, same with cauliflower. So I stick them in the freezer and throw them into the next batch of soup I'm making.

Have found a similar recipe on the BBC: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1000634/broccoli-and-cashew-soup

I don't want the potato, so I'll probably leave that out and just use less liquid. I'm also going to use cashew butter (which I found in Tesco) instead of making my own, so will reduce the liquid further again.

At which point the recipe becomes a lot simpler. Onion, garlic, then add a full head of broccoli and cashew butter, almost cover in stock, boil, blend. And the job's oxo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thoie wrote: »
    I don't want the potato, so I'll probably leave that out and just use less liquid.
    Why not? Potato binds things together a bit, I use it in every veg based soup I make to be honest.

Alun wrote: »
    Why not? Potato binds things together a bit, I use it in every veg based soup I make to be honest.

Short term medical thing. I'm not morally opposed to potatoes ;)

Having said that, I rarely put potato in soup anyway, but for this particular batch potato is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Butter for instance! Or sometimes they give the recipe however many "sticks" of butter. No idea :confused:

American butter is sold in half or one pound packs. They're then sub-divided into sticks. Each stick weighs about a quarter of a pound which is roughly 110 grams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Americans...

BrbATqxCQAADAj5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

BuffyBot wrote: »
    American butter is sold in half or one pound packs. They're then sub-divuded into sticks. Each stick weighs about a quarter of a pound which is roughly 110 grams

And one stick of butter is half a cup! :P

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I have been trying to make a mirror glazed cake for the last few weeks. My attempts have been miserable. Between the jelly layer (which i've since abandoned) being lumpy, the mousse being over beaten and the cake being too heavy and sinking.

I think I finally got it last night and it's currently in the freezer.

And it was a disaster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

When you get it right eventually how chuffed will you be!

Just googled them, as I'd never heard of them before, pretty impressive cakes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

They did these on Great British Bake Off tonight!!!

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    They did these on Great British Bake Off tonight!!!

Ha! Who would have thought! Watching it now.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

mirror glazed are a btich but when they work they are amazing, just had a little rant about the ****tyness of the ones produced last night on bake off and mary and paul ohhuuhhing and ahhing about them, bubbles, lumps and a bit of a ganache shine and they were happy.

id be raging, MIRROR PEOPLE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE REFLECTIVE!!!

i did one for a friends birthday last month and even though it took me 4 attempts it was pure perfection even if i do say so myself.
    the boyfriend stuck his finger into the cake because he thought it was like fondant and i legit murdered him and buried him under my garage. big dirty finger print on my lovely cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Admin Note

Usually an admission of murder would result in a siteban, but in this instance - it is entirely understandable. I hope that you gave him a couple of belts of the shovel to make sure the job was done. :)

tHB

Admin Note

Usually an admission of murder would result in a siteban, but in this instance - it is entirely understandable. I hope that you gave him a couple of belts of the shovel to make sure the job was done. :)

tHB

sorry (poor joke) he is not murdered and well fed and munching on his jaffa cakes as we speak.

i have the snapchats to prove it.

is chopping said finger off acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was only joking! I 100% agree with you. Summary execution of anyone who pokes a cake is acceptable. :D

• Advertisement

I was only joking! I 100% agree with you. Summary execution of anyone who pokes a cake is acceptable. :D

my heart... but ive been banned from threads for less so my simple brain never knows!

its not even the poking i dont mind that for like buttercream or fondant its the mirror glaze! it was sooo smooth and shiny!!

mirror glazed are a btich but when they work they are amazing, just had a little rant about the ****tyness of the ones produced last night on bake off and mary and paul ohhuuhhing and ahhing about them, bubbles, lumps and a bit of a ganache shine and they were happy.

id be raging, MIRROR PEOPLE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE REFLECTIVE!!!

i did one for a friends birthday last month and even though it took me 4 attempts it was pure perfection even if i do say so myself.
    the boyfriend stuck his finger into the cake because he thought it was like fondant and i legit murdered him and buried him under my garage. big dirty finger print on my lovely cake.

What was the base of your cake? And what mirror glaze recipe did you use? Any pics? :)

What was the base of your cake? And what mirror glaze recipe did you use? Any pics? :)

my base was red velvet (I hate it but my buddie loves it)
    ive pics on my insta, dunno how to link ill try grab it off my phone later.

simple recipe from a french cook book from years ago that i had in college, ill dig out the name the recipe is simple though its:

Gelatin - 4 grams Sugar - 200 grams (7 oz) Water - 200 ml (7 fl oz)
    gel food colouring, i havnt tired to fruit ones yet they look like way to much effort but i do want to try the tear drop one...

the tricky part is the temperature, its like tempering chocolate that way it has to cool to get the shine.

its used all the time in france, never see it that much in london since that girl on instagram started the multicoloured ones.

and make sure you crumb coat the bejesus outta it. nothing worse than having it perfect and finding a bit of crumb. gguurrrr

^ You're right about the crap quality of the mirror glazes last night plus with the show stoppers, don't they get a chance to practice at home beforehand? No excuse!

^ You're right about the crap quality of the mirror glazes last night plus with the show stoppers, don't they get a chance to practice at home beforehand? No excuse!

your told when you get accepted what the show stopper and signature challenge is in advance for the 12 weeks of filming,

lets say its filmed from April you get told your selected in February and given all your stuff in March, you have all that time to come up with ideas, run them by the producers, and practice practice practice.

the one thing you cant practice for is the stress, the heat/cold/humidity/rain on the day- nightmare for some stuff, using equipment your not used to,ovens you dont know how to work properly and the time, they dont tell you how long you have until the week before. if its cake week you will have 2 hours to make a mirror glaze cake it must have blaaa blaaa and then theres the general moment of having Mary Berry looking at you as you tell her what you are baking her.

i met her once and literally couldnt speak. like not a peep, couldnt say my name, she grabbed my hand and squeezed it and i got an its alright dear and a smile. i felt like a total lemon. can you imaging cooking for her?!?!?! i couldnt cope!

Gelatin - 4 grams Sugar - 200 grams (7 oz) Water - 200 ml (7 fl oz)
    gel food colouring, i havnt tired to fruit ones yet they look like way to much effort but i do want to try the tear drop one...

I made mine with glucose. I don't think I'll bother making it with glucose again. I needed 300g of it and that stuff ain't cheap.

I made mine with glucose. I don't think I'll bother making it with glucose again. I needed 300g of it and that stuff ain't cheap.

i think the glucose- condescend milk recipe makes it too runny.
    i used the gelatin and it give it a really nice shine and it sets way faster too.

Admin Note

Usually an admission of murder would result in a siteban, but in this instance - it is entirely understandable.
    is chopping said finger off acceptable?

Either way, you were in my house the whole time and we were watching Gone with the Wind (for 4 hours), and no, no idea what happened to him, never saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My husband and I were cooking together in our modest-sized kitchen, and he was using the deep-fryer, two of the burners on the hob, and the food processor, and I was using the stand mixer, the oven, one of the burners on the hob, and the electric kettle. We started getting shirty with each other over the lack of room and getting in each other's way. I told him, "you're the one with the pro training so you tell me how to manage the kitchen, CHEF." He said, "Some couples sleep in separate bedrooms. We need separate kitchens." I'm still laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

i think the glucose- condescend milk recipe makes it too runny.
    i used the gelatin and it give it a really nice shine and it sets way faster too.

What kind of texture does the glaze have when it's set? I want to jump on the mirror glaze bandwagon after see it on Bake Off. I'm going to use this recipe because it worked fairly well for Andrew. Most of it will most likely be eaten by others the day after making it because there's no way we'll get through the whole thing ourselves at home!

Advertisement